Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

slow Internet, Benalmadena/Myramar

slow Internet, Benalmadena/Myramar

Old Apr 10th 2014, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

imissun is an unknown quantity at this point
Default slow Internet, Benalmadena/Myramar

signed contract with Orange in Bena, now when the technician arrive, he said Internet is up to 1mb...in the area. Estate Agent who is helping me out (I am in London preparing to last stand - packing&moving) told me all companies providing Internet in this area have same problem, as it is telefonica old/bad telephone line.
Has anyone living here or in Malaga approached the problem before ?
I would appreciate the answer.

thanks in advance
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: slow Internet, Benalmadena/Myramar

Originally Posted by imissun
signed contract with Orange in Bena, now when the technician arrive, he said Internet is up to 1mb...in the area. Estate Agent who is helping me out (I am in London preparing to last stand - packing&moving) told me all companies providing Internet in this area have same problem, as it is telefonica old/bad telephone line.
Has anyone living here or in Malaga approached the problem before ?
I would appreciate the answer.

thanks in advance
3 years ago I had a 10MB live with Telefonica in Benalmadena Pueblo

In the whole area, the closer you are to the centre of one of the villages/towns/cities the better. Many of the urbanizations have very bad internet and inland there may be none at all

Internet was the first thing I looked at when moving to the area as it was essential for my work
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

thanks, I was told now there is no other option, Myramar seems like a heart of city almost, strangely internet is bad there, I cannot change rented apartment right now, so I will have to stick with Orange or find other solution, (faster Internet but without changing location)
if someone could help, please be welcome
Old Apr 10th 2014, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, I was told now there is no other option, Myramar seems like a heart of city almost, strangely internet is bad there, I cannot change rented apartment right now, so I will have to stick with Orange or find other solution, (faster Internet but without changing location)
if someone could help, please be welcome
I have no idea what "Myramar" is, sorry! Are you sure you are talking about Benalmadena?

Benalmadena isnt a city as such, it is a collection of 3 villages/towns - Benalmadena Pueblo, Arroyo de la Miel and Benalmadena Costa

I've just thought - are you talking about the Myramar shopping centre in Fuengirola? Obviously it is nowhere near Benalmadena though
Old Apr 10th 2014, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Arroyo de la Miel
Old Apr 10th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Try this from Vodaphone -

http://www.vodafone.es/conocenos/es/...bertura-movil/

It gives you a map of the coverage for 3 and 4 GL. I'm led to believe that all companies use the same ariels, but I don't know if that is true.

Arroyo de la Miel shows 'muy alta' 3GL coverage.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
Try this from Vodaphone -

http://www.vodafone.es/conocenos/es/...bertura-movil/

It gives you a map of the coverage for 3 and 4 GL. I'm led to believe that all companies use the same ariels, but I don't know if that is true.

Arroyo de la Miel shows 'muy alta' 3GL coverage.
thanks,
but I am bit out of tune with 3G/4G technology.. sorry
how I can connect Internet via 3G/4G ?
thank you for answer, that website above doesn't have English, and my Spanish is very poco

I actually live in calle turmalina,

Last edited by imissun; Apr 10th 2014 at 9:13 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

thanks,
but I am bit out of tune with 3G/4G technology.. sorry
how I can connect Internet via 3G/4G ?
thank you for answer, that website above doesn't have English, and my Spanish is very poco
I'm so sorry, my mistake. I forgot you enquired about internet over the telephone line.

It is possible to get a stand-alone wifi box (as I have) which will pick up a 3 or 4 GL internet signal which might be faster for you, and a better deal.

The map shows you have good coverage for 3GL, but I don't know if any of the companies will let you connect via wifi. Best to ask locally when you get there.
Old Apr 10th 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by two tubes of toothpaste
I'm so sorry, my mistake. I forgot you enquired about internet over the telephone line.

It is possible to get a stand-alone wifi box (as I have) which will pick up a 3 or 4 GL internet signal which might be faster for you, and a better deal.

The map shows you have good coverage for 3GL, but I don't know if any of the companies will let you connect via wifi. Best to ask locally when you get there.
thank you,
why they wouldn't allow me to connect via wifi ?
Does Orange has 3G ? sorry for my questions, need to lear about this G vs GL vs 4G
I just signed contract with Orange as I have a choice between no Internet and slow one. I am moving in late April, so possibly there is a time for movement. I have an angel estate agent helping me
Old Apr 10th 2014, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

thank you,
why they wouldn't allow me to connect via wifi ?
Does Orange has 3G ? sorry for my questions, need to lear about this G vs GL vs 4G
I just signed contract with Orange as I have a choice between no Internet and slow one. I am moving in late April, so possibly there is a time for movement. I have an angel estate agent helping me
I'm not so well up on the technology myself !

I live out in the country where there is no possibility of having a telephone line. However I do live on a hill which has a blo big antenna on it for an aircraft beacon. Telefonica is using this tower to broadcast a 3GL signal to our village. I pick up the signal through a Telefonica (movistar) wifi box and am charged as if my phone were linked by a landline. My standard telephone is connected to the wifi box.

The wifi box sends the signal direct to my computer via wifi and I get 4meg internet download speeds on it, but at times (like tonight) the speed drops to .7 meg. The Vodaphone map of coverage of the village shows that I am right on the very edge of reception, right down to which room my netbook is in !

Now I don't know if this village is an exception for Telefonica because of the difficulty in getting a telephone line in, or, it is the coming thing and soon everybody will have a wifi box on the side table picking up 3 or 4GL.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Old Apr 11th 2014, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

ok, so first step has been made.
I know 3G and 3GL (don't know the difference between so far) are working good in my area (calle turmalina). My question would be about step 2 - Provider of 3G in Spain/Arroyo de la Miel (I believe if it's mobile technology, then it's International ?)
Anyway, please share your knowledge about Spanish 3G or 3GL providers, and what I need to have to sign with them (NIE, etc)

big thank for help in advance!
Old Apr 11th 2014, 3:35 pm
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, congratulations on making the move. I hope you´re enjoying yourself and are settling in okay.
For what it´s worth, I had a lady in from Jazztel the other day telling me they are the only ones on the coast offering 30 giggy things. Basically fast internet.
She said everyone else is running at about 10.
Hope that means something to you?