Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Skype Phone Special Offer??????

Skype Phone Special Offer??????

Old Jul 22nd 2012, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Skype Phone Special Offer??????

Has anyone else received this or better still bought it?

I received an email purporting to be from Skype in Spanish offering me this special offer of the RX Dual Phone 4088 at the reduced price of 7.99 euros reduced from 89! Now that is a real bargain but alarm bells started to ring as I have always thought if it is too good to be true it usually is. Anyway I contacted skype UK and after several emails which were useless they eventually said there was a special offer available to certain countries. But didn´t confirm the exact offer. Anyway I went on to Skype Spain and all I could find was a special offer for this phone of 10% discount......not exactly reduced to 7.99.

Now I would love the phone at this price but am still nervous.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 3:03 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skype Phone Special Offer??????

be careful, Skype used to be great on 3 phones untill microsoft took it over it don't work anymore, only on an Android phone.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:40 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Besides, Skype is amongst the most expensive of all VoiP providers, and you MUST use proprietary Skype phones.

If you want something less expensive with a lot more features and open compatibility with industry standards (and a lot more choices of phones, and other equipment), try Sipgate. You also get your first incoming phone number for free (if you want more numbers in other countries, etc., they're cheap).

Last edited by amideislas; Jul 22nd 2012 at 6:43 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 6:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Besides, Skype is amongst the most expensive of all VoiP providers, and you MUST use proprietary Skype phones.
Since when?

I can use Skype direct from my laptop or iPad either free to Skype contacts or to land lines at about two cents/minute.

On my desktop I use a USB phone but it certainly has nothing to do with Skype.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 22nd 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Has anyone else received this or better still bought it?

I received an email purporting to be from Skype in Spanish offering me this special offer of the RX Dual Phone 4088 at the reduced price of 7.99 euros reduced from 89! Now that is a real bargain but alarm bells started to ring as I have always thought if it is too good to be true it usually is. Anyway I contacted skype UK and after several emails which were useless they eventually said there was a special offer available to certain countries. But didn´t confirm the exact offer. Anyway I went on to Skype Spain and all I could find was a special offer for this phone of 10% discount......not exactly reduced to 7.99.

Now I would love the phone at this price but am still nervous.
it is highly unlikely that fone will be discounted by 90%
there is no one in the market place offering anything less than 10%, it is a popular fone and holds its price.
Skype do bug me because they send me special offers for the US which I cannot take advantage of, otherwise no problems with them,
Old Jul 22nd 2012, 9:51 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

If you want something less expensive with a lot more features and open compatibility with industry standards (and a lot more choices of phones, and other equipment), try Sipgate. You also get your first incoming phone number for free (if you want more numbers in other countries, etc., they're cheap).
are you telling me that for my £4.99 a month for the all Europe package that I can get calls for less than the £0.00 to landlines anywhere in the EU at any time ??
I don't even have to park a telephone number with them, but they do allow me to choose to have number with held or my registered mobile on outgoing texts.

I do use another service at £2.00 per month for parking but they charge 1p per min or part thereof for calls to landlines and 1.5p for 0844 so I mix the two companies for the cheapest means of communicating. It isnt hard, everyone goes on about how much/little they pay for mobiles but always seem to ignore the landline costs.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 6:45 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Since when?

I can use Skype direct from my laptop or iPad either free to Skype contacts or to land lines at about two cents/minute.

On my desktop I use a USB phone but it certainly has nothing to do with Skype.
No, I'm referring to using a "real" phone, not your computer.

Skype's biggest advantage is that everyone has it - it's free to have, so there's no reason not to have it. If you don't mind using a computer, and calling only to others on Skype (of which there are many), it's great.

But if you're going to use it like a "landline", yes, you can buy skype phones, but your choices are much fewer than the number of regular, industry-standard VoIP phones from Siemens, Grandstream, Cisco, various asian brands, etc.

Also, the options available to you are limited when compared to providers like sipgate - voice mail and SMS merged with your email, virtual PBXs, etc., none of which you can get from Skype, or if you can, it's going to be expensive.

And like you say, the cost of dial-in numbers and calls is 2c/min or more. Plus, Skype's proprietary system just delivers a bit lower voice quality and isn't all that reliable by comparison.

But it's great as a desktop tool.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

I've been using Europe Unlimited via a Skype phone (although generally tend to use a computer as it's always on and doesn't need charging) since it launched and because of that I get to take advantage of a free Skype in number (UK) and free calls to anywhere in Europe - all for 39€ a year. We use it for both business and personal use and find it works perfectly 100% of the time.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 1:01 pm

No, I'm referring to using a "real" phone, not your computer.

Skype's biggest advantage is that everyone has it - it's free to have, so there's no reason not to have it. If you don't mind using a computer, and calling only to others on Skype (of which there are many), it's great.

But if you're going to use it like a "landline", yes, you can buy skype phones, but your choices are much fewer than the number of regular, industry-standard VoIP phones from Siemens, Grandstream, Cisco, various asian brands, etc.

Also, the options available to you are limited when compared to providers like sipgate - voice mail and SMS merged with your email, virtual PBXs, etc., none of which you can get from Skype, or if you can, it's going to be expensive.

And like you say, the cost of dial-in numbers and calls is 2c/min or more. Plus, Skype's proprietary system just delivers a bit lower voice quality and isn't all that reliable by comparison.

But it's great as a desktop tool.

well if this is pissing contest as to who does what at what price, like Fred (who has his own) I have a supplier whose prices are some of the best in the market place, only charge me £2+vat/month to park my UK telephone number and work just like all the others with a telephone https://www.voipfone.co.uk

and if you don't believe me then just remember Voipfone Wins Best Internet Telephone Service ISPA Awards 2012 as well as 2011 and 2009 http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Press_And_Awards.php

but thats not what this thread is about, its about a Skype special offer that may not be so special, that may have been advertised to many but only available to a very few, if at all. Either way Microsoft wins with new accounts.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 3:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
well if this is pissing contest as to who does what at what price, like Fred (who has his own) I have a supplier whose prices are some of the best in the market place, only charge me £2+vat/month to park my UK telephone number and work just like all the others with a telephone https://www.voipfone.co.uk

and if you don't believe me then just remember Voipfone Wins Best Internet Telephone Service ISPA Awards 2012 as well as 2011 and 2009 http://www.voipfone.co.uk/Press_And_Awards.php

but thats not what this thread is about, its about a Skype special offer that may not be so special, that may have been advertised to many but only available to a very few, if at all. Either way Microsoft wins with new accounts.
Sounds great. But that's only further testament to my statement that Skype is amongst the most expensive.

One of my favourite lines: "Free? That sounds expensive!".