Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Old Jul 18th 2012, 3:59 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Originally Posted by BAT7311
all the bbc/itv channel are watchable on the internet . i watch em on a 46in tv ...with 5mb connection
Yes, but only if you can get a reasonable connection.

Speeds in the campo are generally VERY poor - so internet TV is useless for us.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We dumped Sky way back and watch freesat, got quite used to the programmes we get and also of course freeview on Spanish TV, Sky peed us of hugely which was the reson to dump them.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:08 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Yes, but only if you can get a reasonable connection.

Speeds in the campo are generally VERY poor - so internet TV is useless for us.
try this it is telfonica speed test

http://www.testdevelocidad.es/

and the bbc one which tests

if you can get TV not just speed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics#results

you can watch BBC with about 2mb

and at the other end is HD

http://vimeo.com/channels/hd/41499247

if this plays but is jerky your computer aint up to it
if it stops start thats your speed

Last edited by BAT7311; Jul 18th 2012 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pwwm
We dumped Sky way back and watch freesat, got quite used to the programmes we get and also of course freeview on Spanish TV, Sky peed us of hugely which was the reson to dump them.
They pee me off but so many good shows on Sky Atlantic.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:20 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
... waits for The Guy who will tell us what is actually going to happen ...
lyric050203 has said a bit of what is happening...

3 of the 4 UK TV satellites are scheduled to be replaced over the next year or so.
The first, Astra 2F, is scheduled for launch 14th September. Expect a few weeks of testing before it is delpoyed and starts to transmit - maybe by mid November (say some people - but nothing yet from Astra!)

The second, Astra 2E, is scheduled for launch Q1 2013.
The third , Astra 2G, is scheduled for launch Q1 2014.

As lyric050203 has said, these satellites have both pan european beams and "uk spot beams". The new uk spot beams are said to have a more steeper drop off at the edges than the previous satellite, Astra 2d, that requried the "bigger" dishes to receive. The Pan euopean beam looks to be ok on 80cm dishes (Astra have released signal maps for this beams coverage in Spain)

You will not lose ALL UK TV signals, as it depends which channels move onto which beam. However you can expect the main uk channels to move to the UK beam, and thus those currently receiveing them on 1m dishes may well lose them before xmas.....

What dish size you will requrie for the UK beam is not clear at all. There is no data from the satellite operators about the rach of the UK beam, so until it is up and testing, no one can say for sure what size dish you will need in which areas of spain to receive the channel on this uk beam.

They did say this about Astra 2d also, but apparently a flaw in its design mean south spain could get signal on smaller dishes than those in the alicante area. and the first footprint maps for 1N suggested bad news for most of Spain, which turned out to be a bit untrue, as 1N can be receive on 80cm and 1m dishes

Originally Posted by BAT7311
oh lot worse then that ......they will be using ´spot beams´´ for the first time
so if bbc1 in england is using freq 12.345 then its possible in spain on that exact frequency you will get a different channel
it called frequency reuse, where the same frequencies can be used on a number of different beams, but yes this is also a possibility...maybe with the satellites middle east beams, which would affect the south east europe rather than spain.

FREE SKY SPORTS WEEKEND THIS WEEKEND.
For Sky subscribers that do not currently sub to Sky Sports, Sports 1,2,3,4 News and F1 (and their HD versiosn) will be available from Friday Evening to Sunday Night...

Sky Price increase from 1st Sept: Entertainment packs up by £1.50.
Sky Sports up by £1
ESPN up by £1
Movies stay the same
Movies up by £1

Last edited by The Guy; Jul 18th 2012 at 4:25 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read in another place that normal policy would be to not move 1N back to where it is supposed to be until E,F, & G are in position and functioning so Q2 2013 or thereabouts.
Strikes me that there MUST be a difference in antenna performance otherwise there is no point in moving 1N. Time, fuel (a finite resource) etc. and they know 1N is saturating most of Europe, although reading reports the edges of the beam are quite sharply defined, much more than 2D.
I am an eternal optimist but have a bad feeling about this.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

So does all this mean that we are all going to be watching Spanish tv from Christmas?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:19 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyric050203
I have read in another place that normal policy would be to not move 1N back to where it is supposed to be until E,F, & G are in position and functioning so Q2 2013 or thereabouts.
Strikes me that there MUST be a difference in antenna performance otherwise there is no point in moving 1N. Time, fuel (a finite resource) etc. and they know 1N is saturating most of Europe, although reading reports the edges of the beam are quite sharply defined, much more than 2D.
1N's beams are designed for its deployment at 19 east.
The 3 new satellites beams will be designed specifically for their deployment at 28 east.
So although they are the same satellites, their beams will be different.

So 1Ns temporary placement was "urgent and requried" and trhe broadcasters probably has to accept the "bonus reception" in some areas of Europe, like Spain. But also recognised the huge loss of reception in soputh east med areas, where 4m dishes can not receive 1N.

There was a thought that 1N would not be moved until 2 new satellite were up...just in case. But as 1 new satellite has more than enough capacity, then as long as one is up and working then why not move 1N to where it is needed.

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
So does all this mean that we are all going to be watching Spanish tv from Christmas?
You will not lose all UK TV channels. Just some.

And Spanish TV does have a number of UK programmes on... you just have to find them.. Merlin, Dr Who, Top Gear, and many US imports that are on Pay TV (Sky) but on channels like La Sexta for free.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Guy
1N's beams are designed for its deployment at 19 east.
The 3 new satellites beams will be designed specifically for their deployment at 28 east.
So although they are the same satellites, their beams will be different.

So 1Ns temporary placement was "urgent and requried" and trhe broadcasters probably has to accept the "bonus reception" in some areas of Europe, like Spain. But also recognised the huge loss of reception in soputh east med areas, where 4m dishes can not receive 1N.

There was a thought that 1N would not be moved until 2 new satellite were up...just in case. But as 1 new satellite has more than enough capacity, then as long as one is up and working then why not move 1N to where it is needed.

You will not lose all UK TV channels. Just some.

And Spanish TV does have a number of UK programmes on... you just have to find them.. Merlin, Dr Who, Top Gear, and many US imports that are on Pay TV (Sky) but on channels like La Sexta for free.
But again whether it will be worth paying Sky and not getting what you want to watch.......just tell me that him at home won´t get Sky Sports channels and I will be happy!
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:00 pm

Well it may be like it is today...if sky are more cunning.

Today, even some 2.4m dishes struggle to get some channels 24/7...like Sky Sports 4 and SS News.

But the HD versions of these channels - available with the £10 HD charge, are available 24/7 on a small 80cm dish.

So Sky could make (more of) a fortune from expats by sticking the SD versions of Sky channels on a hard to receive beam, and the HD version on a nice easy beam, making more expats upgrade to HD for an extra £10 per month....

Although using a sky card outside the UK and ROI is against the T&Cs of your Sky contract, it would make a significant drop in Sky profits if Sky made their premium and most popular channels hard to receive in expat areas...(even if they dont own the rights to broadcast the content in those areas). And think about all those Sku employees with houses in Spain (What will Ian Botham do if he cant watch his sky in marbella?)
Old Jul 18th 2012, 6:30 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Although Sky may be the only alternative to a huge dish in future there will still be no easy way to get the main BBC/ITV/C4/C5 channels - or am I missing something?
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am missing something (not the brain yet) I was under the impression that there was no difference, let us say BBC1 comes down on 12345, is this not the same if I use my Humax or man B uses a Sky box BBC1 is on 12345 no matter what.
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James
Although Sky may be the only alternative to a huge dish in future there will still be no easy way to get the main BBC/ITV/C4/C5 channels - or am I missing something?
Who knows until the new satellites are launched..

I am missing something (not the brain yet) I was under the impression that there was no difference, let us say BBC1 comes down on 12345, is this not the same if I use my Humax or man B uses a Sky box BBC1 is on 12345 no matter what.
No.
New technology may mean multiple beams pointing in different directions but using the same frequencies.
So a beam pointing to the UK could have bbc on frequency 12345
And a second beam pointing to the middle east with al jazeera on frequency 12345

So if where you are the second beam is stronger than the first beam, you will receive the channels on that second beam (al jazeera) rather than the channels you may be expecting (bbc).
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can't beat a bit of news from Al !
Old Jul 18th 2012, 7:27 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry that makes no sense to me and ive been in satellite game 25 years
when 2F is up and running ,then will move all traffic on it and 1n will move to 19e where it was designed for (footprints/frequencies)
2F spot beams mean those people in tenerife with 3m dishs might overnight get ghana tv (africa beam) and not bbc1 (uk beam)

Last edited by BAT7311; Jul 18th 2012 at 7:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.