British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Sky Plus working in new Spanish TV? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sky-plus-working-new-spanish-tv-596639/)

Chiclanagir Mar 10th 2009 2:55 pm

Sky Plus working in new Spanish TV?

We are looking to buy a new LCD tv here in Spain but would there be a problem with our Sky Plus box connecting to it. My husband said something about our present tv having two leads and it looked like the Spanish tv´s only had room for one! Sorry if this sounds like double dutch! Also would anyone who has bought a new tv lately recommend a particular 37 in LCD.

jdr Mar 10th 2009 3:16 pm

Re: Sky Plus working in new Spanish TV?

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 7363767)
We are looking to buy a new LCD tv here in Spain but would there be a problem with our Sky Plus box connecting to it. My husband said something about our present tv having two leads and it looked like the Spanish tv´s only had room for one! Sorry if this sounds like double dutch! Also would anyone who has bought a new tv lately recommend a particular 37 in LCD.

Most of them have two or three scart connections plus others for computer, music center, etc.

Hillybilly Mar 10th 2009 3:26 pm

I bought a Spanish Sharp LCD TV (32 inch tho) a couple of years ago and am pleased with it so far. Easy to set up and as jdr says, has a multitude of connection points!

The Guy Mar 10th 2009 3:32 pm

We are looking to buy a new LCD tv here in Spain but would there be a problem with our Sky Plus box connecting to it. My husband said something about our present tv having two leads and it looked like the Spanish tv´s only had room for one! Sorry if this sounds like double dutch!

there will be noproblem in connecting a Sky receiver to the TV via the normal SCART / Euroconnector cables.

or course it all depends on what other AV equipment you have as well

poshnbucks Mar 10th 2009 4:55 pm

I would recommend a Panasonic LCD TV Full HD with freeview or freesat. I have one in the bedroom its freeview as I bought it in the UK before freesat and it works fine via HDMI lead into a High Def Sky Box. Fantastic picture and free prem football via freeview spanish tv. The freeview is built in so no clutter of another box. They have fallen in price since I bought mine so now is a good time to buy. Buy the best you can afford not these cheapo makes you have never heard of mind you some of our household names are made by one manufacturer but you will not go far wrong with Panasonic. :thumbup:

A few bargains here but a little dated sets. :blink:

http://www.carrefouronline.carrefour...temId=45533105

Solarwhizz Mar 10th 2009 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by poshnbucks (Post 7364208)
I would recommend a Panasonic LCD TV Full HD with freeview or freesat. I have one in the bedroom its freeview as I bought it in the UK before freesat and it works fine via HDMI lead into a High Def Sky Box. Fantastic picture and free prem football via freeview spanish tv. The freeview is built in so no clutter of another box. They have fallen in price since I bought mine so now is a good time to buy. Buy the best you can afford not these cheapo makes you have never heard of mind you some of our household names are made by one manufacturer but you will not go far wrong with Panasonic. :thumbup:

A few bargains here but a little dated sets. :blink:

http://www.carrefouronline.carrefour...temId=45533105

I'll buy into that, I have recently bought a Panasonice 42" with TDT, and it is absolutely Fab,,,,, price was only 699€,,, from euronics,

jdr Mar 10th 2009 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Solarwhizz (Post 7364226)
I'll buy into that, I have recently bought a Panasonice 42" with TDT, and it is absolutely Fab,,,,, price was only 699€,,, from euronics,

LG Plasma are good too.

Mitzyboy Mar 10th 2009 5:11 pm

I have a Panasonic plasma 40" viera
I dont want to start a huge discussion, but after masses of research it seemed that plasma was better for that size of TV
Everyone that comes here remarks on what a fantastic picture it is

Oh, and it works fine with SKY+ box

Chiclanagir Mar 10th 2009 5:37 pm

Thanks for all of that. I had more or less settled in my own mind for a Panasonic LCD the reason for the LCD was as I understand it that it uses less electricity and the picture stays better for longer. That 42 in at Carrefour looks like a bargain but just think it will be too big for our room. When I compare the prices with the UK I do feel depressed. In mediamarkt the 37in TX37LZD80 is 899 euros but in Dixons it is a lot cheaper and the stand is only 49 GBP whereas in mediamarkt they want something like 260 euros! Has anyone looked in Gib at prices?

jurdyr Mar 10th 2009 5:41 pm

Spanish tv´s only had room for one! ... all new tv/lcd flat screens have SCART port 2-3 and rca ports and computer ports

if only has one dont buy it ... not worth it just looking at tv book here and all the tv sold here in spain have 3 scart ports 2 rca ports and 2 computer ports and few have usb ports now
jurdy

jdr Mar 10th 2009 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 7364348)
Thanks for all of that. I had more or less settled in my own mind for a Panasonic LCD the reason for the LCD was as I understand it that it uses less electricity and the picture stays better for longer. That 42 in at Carrefour looks like a bargain but just think it will be too big for our room. When I compare the prices with the UK I do feel depressed. In mediamarkt the 37in TX37LZD80 is 899 euros but in Dixons it is a lot cheaper and the stand is only 49 GBP whereas in mediamarkt they want something like 260 euros! Has anyone looked in Gib at prices?

Buy an LG the stand comes with it and they are nearly half the price I paid about 3 years ago.

jurdyr Mar 10th 2009 5:46 pm

have you shop around in spain yet price are coming down here

go two the shops

poshnbucks Mar 10th 2009 6:20 pm

http://www.37lcd.co.uk/best-37-lcd-tv.php

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/revi...37px80b+review

Then buy a blu-ray player........... Panasonic DMP BD55 picture heaven. :lol:

RONLIN Mar 10th 2009 6:25 pm

Go for the bigun :thumbup: when you get it home and get used to it you'll wished you had got the larger panel.

As for the lifespan of plasma panels i would'nt worry the makers are saying 60,000 hours to half brightness at least and they are getting longer!!!

Have a read HERE up to 100,000 hrs now

ATB

Ron

snikpoh Mar 10th 2009 6:37 pm

OK, just to keep this going a bit longer.

1) 37" or 42" - is bigger better? Does size matter?

2) LCD or plasma? are the two questions linked? ie if 42" must it be plasma? etc. etc.

3) LG, SONY or panasonic?

4) What are the price differentials? Is LCD cheaper than plasma and inch-for-inch is 42 cheaper than 37?

5) Power consumption is, presumably, less for LCD's but is it an appreciable difference?

Thanks