Sky Plus HD - Spain

Old Nov 24th 2009, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

sabian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sky Plus HD - Spain

Hey Guys,

I don´t want to goo too off topic,

But I have a SKY HD box connected to a satellite dish in Spain,

Now I got sky HD in the UK, 2 boxes currently. I took out another multi room and brought that to spain where I am using it close to calpe in my property with my own dish of the size of 1.95m. I thought the dish originally was 1.2m but now am told it´s 1.95m in size. It was working perfectly. I have been able to watch HD channels, just not channel 1 to 5 as these cannot be picked up due to the area of spain I am in and the size of my dish. To get these channels I am told I need a 2.5m dish. Now the problem is my box is saying that no satellite signal is found, I have tried everything and still on day three of trying nothing is working. If I wanted to reset it from Spain wouldn´t sky find out? How do I even reset the sky HD box? Anyway to help guys

Many thanks in advance
Old Nov 25th 2009, 6:19 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

hi sabian,

Best to do this in the morning....
unplug your box, leave for 30 seconds, and reapply power.
it should boot up normally, assuming your system is working ok.

doing this in the afternoon is trick as your dish is not able to receive the frequency that the box needs to boot up.

On normal EPGS we follow the Default Transponder Process.
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/sky_...anca_spain.php
but I have not updated this yet for the new EPG (my bad).

You can programme other frequencies into your box to receive ITV1, C4, E4, M4, Five.
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/extr...annels_sky.php

Folow these instructions and you should be able to add these to your "service, other channels list"...
note you can view these, but cannot record from the other channels list

Frequencies For Ref:
ITV1 : 12402 v 27.5 2/3
C4/e4/m4: 12480 v 27.5 2/3
Five: 12422 h 27.5 2/3

Hope this helps
Old Nov 26th 2009, 3:05 am
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

I don't get it. Why do people pay Sky to be able to record? Why not just buy a decent twin tuner PVR receiver like the Vantage 8000? And you can use it to watch other channels from other satellites, like Fox Movies and MBC.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 4:48 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have got an ordinary Freesat box with HD in my kitchen but when I watch BBC HD I cannot see any difference in the picture compared with ordinary BBC. Someone told me it is because the cable to the dish is too long - would this be true? Anyway that I can overcome this?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:07 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
I have got an ordinary Freesat box with HD in my kitchen but when I watch BBC HD I cannot see any difference in the picture compared with ordinary BBC. Someone told me it is because the cable to the dish is too long - would this be true? Anyway that I can overcome this?
if you have a Freesat HD receiver connected to a HD TV via HDMI then BBC HD should be miles better than BBC 1 SD....

If it is not the above combo then you may not be sending a HD picture to your HD TV.

And sorry if this is obvious to you, but I have had a few calls asking this. You need a HD Reciver AND a HD TV to view HD channels in HD. Just having a HD receiver on its own does not mean you will be seeing HD channels in HD.

Cable length will not matter - hope that wasnt an installer that told you that!!

But since the BBC introduced new HD encoders, picture quality / bitrates for BBC HD have been reduced by 40% (from 12mps to 9mps!), meaning less data is getting through to the HD receivers, and so the picture is less sharper than it should be.....

Huge debates about this at the BBCs, and on many HD forums....
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:46 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I just got a Bush Freesat HD box to replace my tired old Sky box and the speed and picture difference is excellent, although not many HD channels yet.

I can`t get the Fiver channels, but I assume I can add the channels in if I have the locations etc, is this right ?
Guy I had a look on your site but can`t find them, be much obliged if you could let me know cos her indoors is giving me grief at having to watch stuff in the bedroom on the Sky box setup.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 8:50 am

I can`t get the Fiver channels, but I assume I can add the channels in if I have the locations etc, is this right ?
Fiver and Five USA require a Sky card to view.

These are not on Freesat.

Guy I had a look on your site but can`t find them, be much obliged if you could let me know cos her indoors is giving me grief at having to watch stuff in the bedroom on the Sky box setup.
YOu cannot add them to a Freesat box, as they flag up as encrypted and a Freesat box only picks up the free to air channels.....!
(but if you could....
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/extr...annels_sky.php - on the menu as "Alternate Frequencies"
or
http://www.satandpcguy.com/Site/chan...anca_spain.php - on the menu as "No CHannel Five")

Fiver and Five USA do not have to be on Freesat as they are not PSB channels.

And neither do ITV2,3 or 4....which the new chariman is considering moving to pay / subscription to help with cash flow.....

And there has been talk to day of BBC3 and BBC4 being streamlined / merged / removed altogether for cash flow issues...

cos her indoors is giving me grief...
I could answer that in SOOOO many ways...!!!

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 26th 2009 at 8:55 am.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guy, I will give it a try when I get a chance.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 5:36 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tele Addict
I don't get it. Why do people pay Sky to be able to record? Why not just buy a decent twin tuner PVR receiver like the Vantage 8000? And you can use it to watch other channels from other satellites, like Fox Movies and MBC.
This sounds interesting.....do you have more info on what this is and how it works?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:17 pm

its a satellite receive, with twin tuners, and PVR capabilities.

Allows you to do what a sky+ receiver does.

both require two feeds from the LNB to the receiver, they use one cable for the channel you are watching and the second for a channel you want ot receord, as the same time...

Good if you just have the free to air or free to view channels (saves having to apy Sky something per month for the it service, , and use with other satellite if you have access to them....bad as it does not have the sky 7 day EPG or some of the easy "series link" options like sky+ has.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:34 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

How does it compare to a Humax Freesat HD PVR?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 6:57 pm

Pretty much the same reception wise....

But no 7 day programme guide....you only get that on the Freesat or Sky EPG....which can be tricky when wanting to record things a few hours ahead...you have to set the timer like you used to on VCR...Freesat+ / Sky+ its just a couple or button presses....

And you can (currently!) use a sky card in it, whereas you cannot use one in a Freesat box.

Personally I think it is more of a "hobbiest" receiver, rather than a "general public use" receiver, as there are many many things it can do.....
Old Nov 26th 2009, 11:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
if you have a Freesat HD receiver connected to a HD TV via HDMI then BBC HD should be miles better than BBC 1 SD....

If it is not the above combo then you may not be sending a HD picture to your HD TV.

And sorry if this is obvious to you, but I have had a few calls asking this. You need a HD Reciver AND a HD TV to view HD channels in HD. Just having a HD receiver on its own does not mean you will be seeing HD channels in HD.

Cable length will not matter - hope that wasnt an installer that told you that!!

But since the BBC introduced new HD encoders, picture quality / bitrates for BBC HD have been reduced by 40% (from 12mps to 9mps!), meaning less data is getting through to the HD receivers, and so the picture is less sharper than it should be.....

Huge debates about this at the BBCs, and on many HD forums....
Thanks for your help. Yes it is definitely a HD TV connected with an HDMI cable to the box. There is just no difference in picture quality.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 1:21 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by battlezone123
Thanks for your help. Yes it is definitely a HD TV connected with an HDMI cable to the box. There is just no difference in picture quality.
How big is the TV and how far away from it do you view it?
Old Nov 29th 2009, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Gerryn is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Foxsat HDR and the differrence between SD and HD is fantastic, my TV is an LG LCD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.