British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   sky free to view cards help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sky-free-view-cards-help-643920/)

mofieldhouse Dec 8th 2009 12:31 pm

sky free to view cards help!

I have read through previous threads on this but non help my particular problem. We inherited our TV and sky box along with free to view card from the previous owner of the house. We keep getting messages to the effect that we will soon lose certain channels (mainly ITV).
We enquired and were told that we should get a new white card and it would be better from England. The person who went to get one for us was told to register the card to his equipment. He is happy to do this but is not sure if it will then work on ours. Does abyone know. Will this work on our equipment after?
We are not sure if we can register the card to our equipment (as another option). The people before us had the old card registered in England but we have no contact with them and are not sure what to do.
Thaanks in advance for your help
PS At least we can still get Strictly come dancing!!

mikelincs Dec 8th 2009 12:41 pm

Re: sky free to view cards help!

Originally Posted by mofieldhouse (Post 8156108)
I have read through previous threads on this but non help my particular problem. We inherited our TV and sky box along with free to view card from the previous owner of the house. We keep getting messages to the effect that we will soon lose certain channels (mainly ITV).
We enquired and were told that we should get a new white card and it would be better from England. The person who went to get one for us was told to register the card to his equipment. He is happy to do this but is not sure if it will then work on ours. Does abyone know. Will this work on our equipment after?
We are not sure if we can register the card to our equipment (as another option). The people before us had the old card registered in England but we have no contact with them and are not sure what to do.
Thaanks in advance for your help
PS At least we can still get Strictly come dancing!!

Sky will only send cards to a UK address as they are only allowed to broadcast to the UK, so no UK address, no new card. There are people who, for a fee, will get you one, BUT they register many cards at the address they use. Sky are looking out for this, and in many cases have just cut the cards off.

mofieldhouse Dec 8th 2009 12:57 pm

Yes I know this. Perhaps I didn't express myself well. The person who is getting the card is a friend. Can I give him my sky box details to register the card to. The people who lived in the house before us and owned the box had it in England before they came out here. If my friend registers it to his box will it work in mine?

michaleen oge Dec 8th 2009 1:37 pm

i have a free-to-view sky card also but as yet haven't received any messages to say i will be losing channels. i wonder if that is because the cards are issued at different times and the earliest ones are being sorted first?
tricky situation,but there is a fella who could help with information and perhaps a source of a new sky card? name of richard shanley,(?),owner of europa digital in vera. he has a column in one of the english language papers here,either euro weekly news or the sol times. has an email address and is very helpful. sorry i dont have any more info and hope this helps.
strictly come get me out of here on ice is the latest prog that you don't want to miss.

Mitzyboy Dec 8th 2009 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by mofieldhouse (Post 8156159)
Yes I know this. Perhaps I didn't express myself well. The person who is getting the card is a friend. Can I give him my sky box details to register the card to. The people who lived in the house before us and owned the box had it in England before they came out here. If my friend registers it to his box will it work in mine?

Yes.
My sky card is registered to my house in the UK. However, you say they already have a SKY box registered at the address, and I'm not sure if that might raise problems.

No, dont register it in his box. Get it sent out to you and then register it in your box

Alternatively there is a regular poster on here who will be able to help you with a card, I'm sure he will be here with advice soon

The Guy Dec 8th 2009 3:26 pm

Can I give him my sky box details to register the card to. The people who lived in the house before us and owned the box had it in England before they came out here.

Best thing is:
give your freind your sky box details (services, 4, 5) to order the card at his UK address.
WHen the card arrives at the UK address get them to post out to you.
YOu pop the card in your box.
Your friend then calls Sky to actiavted the card in your box using your details.

You can have a number (rumoured to be 4 or 5) freesatfromsky cards at one UK address.
There is an issue if there are more than one Sky subscription contract at a UK address.

If my friend registers it to his box will it work in mine?

Who knows.....Sky are doing the change over as they are changing their encryption...and who knows what tricks they have up their sleaves.
At the moment ANY Sky card will work in ANY Sky box for all channels apart from Sky Movies and Sky Sports and ESPN UK, but this may change when they fully impliment the card change over software.

We keep getting messages to the effect that we will soon lose certain channels (mainly ITV).
Without the new card you will lose access to:
6 ITV1 regions - (those on frequency 12402 v - namely Anglia West, Central SW, Meridian North, Meridian SE, Tyne Tees South, Yorks East)
Irish Channels 4 regions (those on frequency 12480 v)
The Sky card (strong) version of Five - the free version of five is on the same frequency as BBC2 and therefore its availability is the same as BBC2.
Fiver
Five USA
Sky Three

You will not lose access to many ITV1 regions, ITV2,3,4 BBC1,2,3,4. The BBC channels have not required a viewing card to watch BBC channels for at least 6 years, ITV for about 4 or 5 years, and many C4 group of channels for 2 years.

i have a free-to-view sky card also but as yet haven't received any messages to say i will be losing channels. i wonder if that is because the cards are issued at different times and the earliest ones are being sorted first?
Not all cards have been getting the message, especially when the cards have been subscription card that have had their subs cancelled and the card effectively beomes a freesatfromsky card.

tricky situation,but there is a fella who could help with information and perhaps a source of a new sky card? name of richard shanley,(?),owner of europa digital in vera. he has a column in one of the english language papers here,either euro weekly news or the sol times. has an email address and is very helpful. sorry i dont have any more info and hope this helps.
Bit weird that they claim they "are the only company in the area who are an authorised Sky agent".
There are NO ASAs outside the UK. Sky are unable to authorise ANY agent outside the UK. Sky have even been cracking down on ASAs in the UK that they know send cards abroad!
They may be authorised by the local authority for installation of dishes, but they will NOT be authorsied by Sky in any way.
A nice bit of misleading advertsing and customer confidence trickery by claiming they are an ASA.

Alternatively there is a regular poster on here who will be able to help you with a card, I'm sure he will be here with advice soon
Who is this "regular poster"...? Is he good?:)

I think I have covered the points raised....

malagaman Dec 8th 2009 3:32 pm

We have just done this by getting my sister-in-law in the UK to order another card from sky for her 'spare' digi box. It cost 20 quid but they would only supply a free to air viewing card (we were hoping to get a card that would include her package) . The downside is that we presumed we couldn't activate it out here so got her to do it there and now we have her regional channels on ITV and BBC. I don't think that can be changed now so we've put our regional preference on 'other channels'.

EsuriJohn Dec 8th 2009 3:41 pm

[quote=The Guy;8156417]Who is this "regular poster"...? Is he good?[quote]I think he must mean Sat and PC guy now he was good but he does not post here anymore!

valenciatim Dec 8th 2009 3:46 pm

[QUOTE=John & Kath;8156475][quote=The Guy;8156417]Who is this "regular poster"...? Is he good?

I think he must mean Sat and PC guy now he was good but he does not post here anymore!
.....maybe he just changed his username!!

Mitzyboy Dec 8th 2009 3:55 pm

[quote=John & Kath;8156475][quote=The Guy;8156417]Who is this "regular poster"...? Is he good?

I think he must mean Sat and PC guy now he was good but he does not post here anymore!
:lol:

He just did!
The artist formally known as Sat&PCGuy

The Guy Dec 8th 2009 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by malagaman (Post 8156446)
We have just done this by getting my sister-in-law in the UK to order another card from sky for her 'spare' digi box. It cost 20 quid but they would only supply a free to air viewing card (we were hoping to get a card that would include her package) . .

I think you mean to say you were tryoing to get a sky multiroom card, where by for an extra £10 per month, you get a second mirrored subscription card.
However, there are various controls on this contract, inlcuding hte clause that requires all boxes (and cards) part of a multiroom contract to be connected to the UK phone line so that Sky can ensure that the second "discounted" card is actually being used at the address of the original subscription card.

Originally Posted by malagaman (Post 8156446)
The downside is that we presumed we couldn't activate it out here so got her to do it there and now we have her regional channels on ITV and BBC. I don't think that can be changed now so we've put our regional preference on 'other channels'.

BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, C4 and Five regionsal variation are all determined by the postcide used for registering the card.
All BBC regions ar available via a channel number, from around channels 970 upwards. Other ITV1 regions must be added to the "other channels" list.

The only way you can change the regions on 101, 102, 103 104 and 105 is by changing the address that your sky card is registered at.

snikpoh Dec 8th 2009 3:57 pm

I didn't think that the free-to-view cards were being changed (yet anyway).

We have four of them for the various appartments we have and they are all still working with no messages - and they are not subscription cards.

On the SKY web site, I seem to recall it saying that free-to-view cards were NOT being replaced.

Any one know differently?

The Guy Dec 8th 2009 3:58 pm

[QUOTE=valenciatim;8156493]

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 8156475)

Originally Posted by The Guy (Post 8156417)
Who is this "regular poster"...? Is he good?!!

.....maybe he just changed his username!!

He had to change his name as it took the owners of this forum a few months to see my profile name was my website name....whoops.

Maybe this may help from someones Profile...

The Guy
Was called something else

The Guy Dec 8th 2009 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 8156523)
I didn't think that the free-to-view cards were being changed (yet anyway).

We have four of them for the various appartments we have and they are all still working with no messages - and they are not subscription cards.

On the SKY web site, I seem to recall it saying that free-to-view cards were NOT being replaced.

Any one know differently?

Yep.

All blue yellow house cards are being changed.
All blue yellow house cards will eventually cease to function (it was meant to be by August but certian technical issues and postal strikes have delayed the big blue yellow house switch off - it now looks to be by the end of January 2010).

infact i think sky have started to do the sweep up of subscription card that have not been replaced yet, or have been lost in the post.

freesatfromsky cards started to be replaced from October 2009 - which is when the messages started to appear on the screen for people using certain freesatfromsky cards.

it looks like exsubscription card have not been getting the message on screen.
and neither have some really really old fsfs cards.

(so maybe your cards are in one of the above two categories)

Again, not all viewing cards will be getting the "please get a new card" message.

So if you want to continue to watch your "free to view" channels htat the freesatfromsky card unlock, you will need to get replacements.

Some cards, if bought from Sky in the last 3 years will be replaced for fee, otherwise its £20, a uk address, and calls to sky for activation.

bil Dec 8th 2009 4:44 pm

Since I don't care about the pay to view, we got a freesat box and binned the skybox.

Better reception strangely, we don't get pixellated out nearly so often. We did replace the TV, so maybe that was it. Previously some channels would just pix out come evening.

Whyt is it I can get Dave on the free to view box in the UK (not sky) but can't get Dave on the freesat?