British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Sky (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sky-910848/)

Yorick Mar 25th 2018 2:02 pm

Can We get Sky TV In Spain ?

At the moment we have an iffy TV Firestick thingy and the streamed picture quality can vary.
We have a nice UHD telly so want a quality signal and package.

We want a Sky Q box so can record and watch later.

Maybe register it in UK and bring it over here ?

Any advice?

PS, we're in Lanzarote

Fred James Mar 25th 2018 2:41 pm

Re: Sky

To get all channels including the BBC ITV C4 etc will require a HUGE dish.

You would be looking at £1000s not £100s.

Yorick Mar 25th 2018 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12469590)
To get all channels including the BBC ITV C4 etc will require a HUGE dish.

You would be looking at £1000s not £100s.

We just threw out a 10ft dish. We now have 300mb fibre broadband.

Fred James Mar 25th 2018 3:10 pm

It depends so much on what channels you want. You might get some Sky channels on that dish but the UK Freeview channels will be difficult. I use the Intelsat 907 satellite for those and they are fine here on an 80cm dish. I assume you can get it in the Canaries as most of the other channels are beamed to Africa. Dish size will need to be bigger, but I’m guessing not excessive.

I tend to watch BBC most of the time and for catchup BBC iPlayer is exceptional quality now, even on a big TV. The other channels are OK but not such good quality but still very acceptable. BBC and ITV players both allow you watch live TV.

We can get most of the Sky channels here in Southern Spain, but without the Freeview channels, I would not pay that sort of money, but the new Sky Q service looks brilliant.

dougal03 Mar 25th 2018 3:39 pm

Some 12 years ago I moved house & since I had the money in my hand I spent around 2500 euros on getting a very big dish which is up on my roof terrace.Have never grudged a single euro,my Spanish granddaughter ran between her home & mine to watch her favourite programme in either language!There are so many channels I can get I still haven't worked out a list.All I can say is,if you have an Indian,Welsh or Arab friend he can find something in his own language.I look it as if I had had to pay a fee for a licence in UK & by now could have paid most of my initial outlay.Never had a problem,great picture.You just have to have a place to put up the dish which has to have a concrete base as well.Now I'm thinking that if I moved again, is it viable to take it with me if the new owner doesn't need it?

Yorick Mar 25th 2018 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12469610)
Some 12 years ago I moved house & since I had the money in my hand I spent around 2500 euros on getting a very big dish which is up on my roof terrace.Have never grudged a single euro,my Spanish granddaughter ran between her home & mine to watch her favourite programme in either language!There are so many channels I can get I still haven't worked out a list.All I can say is,if you have an Indian,Welsh or Arab friend he can find something in his own language.I look it as if I had had to pay a fee for a licence in UK & by now could have paid most of my initial outlay.Never had a problem,great picture.You just have to have a place to put up the dish which has to have a concrete base as well.Now I'm thinking that if I moved again, is it viable to take it with me if the new owner doesn't need it?

As I said above, we threw out the big dish when we got fibre broadband.

So we want to get it via the internet.

Fred James Mar 25th 2018 5:39 pm

You can get almost any channel online but the quality is very variable.

Having 300 mb fibre makes little difference to quality. You can stream 4K with only 25 if you can find much 4K content apart from some from Netflix and Amazon

EsuriJohn Mar 27th 2018 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Fred James (Post 12469597)
It depends so much on what channels you want. You might get some Sky channels on that dish but the UK Freeview channels will be difficult. I use the Intelsat 907 satellite for those and they are fine here on an 80cm dish. I assume you can get it in the Canaries as most of the other channels are beamed to Africa. Dish size will need to be bigger, but I’m guessing not excessive.

I tend to watch BBC most of the time and for catchup BBC iPlayer is exceptional quality now, even on a big TV. The other channels are OK but not such good quality but still very acceptable. BBC and ITV players both allow you watch live TV.

We can get most of the Sky channels here in Southern Spain, but without the Freeview channels, I would not pay that sort of money, but the new Sky Q service looks brilliant.

When it first came out I had a look at Sky Q but they told me it included a new smaller dish and said it could only be got as a sky install dish and recableing. They said the initial cost covered main box and relay box. I have not gone back to them since I would not think they would send a man all the way down here!

mark260311 Mar 28th 2018 3:02 pm

Sky Q uses a different LNB and is only available on a manned install.

The boxes also are never owned by customer's - that is always retained by Sky and if you ever cancel the service it's a minimum £100 fee for not returning it!

EsuriJohn Mar 28th 2018 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by mark260311 (Post 12471840)
Sky Q uses a different LNB and is only available on a manned install.

The boxes also are never owned by customer's - that is always retained by Sky and if you ever cancel the service it's a minimum £100 fee for not returning it!

That’s new for “Q” I have various older boxes that have been replaced and left with me. You can also buy them on eBay so no doubt the new boxes will become available at some stage.

mark260311 Mar 28th 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn (Post 12471845)
That’s new for “Q” I have various older boxes that have been replaced and left with me. You can also buy them on eBay so no doubt the new boxes will become available at some stage.

It is unlikely.

They are trying to move away from letting people retain owenrship. Mainly because it help's reduce the cost (older/returned boxes that can be repuposed)

They are on a mission to save an operational £10 Million!!