Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Skin protection in Spain

Skin protection in Spain

Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice
Default Skin protection in Spain

Being from a Country that really doesn't get too much sun, not hot sun anyway, this is something I have been thinking about.
What do you do to protect yourself from the hot sun in the way of creams etc.? Going on holiday for a week or 2 and slapping on the factors I suppose might be different from actually living there!
I am fair skinned and hubby is a baldy 7 year old tans but I want to make sure we are all properly protected as we are after a more outdoor life!

Do those of you already living there use the all-day lotion in the morning before you go out? Is there a particular product or brand that is good?
I know it seems quite trivial, but I am particularly concerned about my youthful good looks with premature ageing and all that
Old Mar 13th 2008, 4:53 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skin protection in Spain

Originally Posted by HereKittyKitty
Being from a Country that really doesn't get too much sun, not hot sun anyway, this is something I have been thinking about.
What do you do to protect yourself from the hot sun in the way of creams etc.? Going on holiday for a week or 2 and slapping on the factors I suppose might be different from actually living there!
I am fair skinned and hubby is a baldy 7 year old tans but I want to make sure we are all properly protected as we are after a more outdoor life!

Do those of you already living there use the all-day lotion in the morning before you go out? Is there a particular product or brand that is good?
I know it seems quite trivial, but I am particularly concerned about my youthful good looks with premature ageing and all that
The only time I used it I got burnt.
Now I just try to be sensible and get accustomed to it slowly and only work in it in the mornings.
Stay out of the early afternoon sun.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Cielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant futureCielito Lindo has a brilliant future

Hi!
I use a facial moisturiser with an SPF of 15 daily. Haven´t burnt once and I´m incredibly fair skinned and always outdoors! In the really hot months I do put sunblock on my arms and legs too though, you just get used to it as part of your routine in the morning! I´ll PM you the brand of moisturiser I use.
My one tip is buy it in bulk if you go to visit the UK. I think cosmetics and the like are really expensive here in comparison and often the supermarkets in the UK put things on special offer. I have bought this particular moisturiser in El Corte Inglés in Madrid but it cost me €15 compared to 5-6 pounds. El Corte Inglés is the only place I´ve found it yet but I live in a totally Spanish region.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 4:37 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I burn very easily, and use a high protection cream when sat in the sun, BUT, we only sit out in the morning and later in the evening, we, and I suspect most people who live here, stay out of the sun from about mid day till 4 pm, which is the reason for Siesta time here.
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

I was recommended P20 - you apply it once in the morning and thats its, its water resistant and have used it on my 12 year old since he was a baby and never had a problem with him getting burnt - so gets the thumbs up from me

I think you can only get it at duty free as Ive never been able to find it in the shops either here or UK so I just get people to bring it over for me - if I remember its about 20 quid a bottle but like i say its only applied once a day

have a look here
Old Mar 14th 2008, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

just seen on their website its available in Superdrug, Asda, Sainsbury's, Waitrose, John Lewis, Lloydspharmacy, Savers, Matalan, T J Hughes, Home Bargains as well as duty free
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

HereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really niceHereKittyKitty is just really nice

Hi thanks for your replies
Spain I was wondering about the P20 stuff...I have noticed Costco are selling it here at the moment, which brings me to another question...is there a Costco in Alicante region? Brilliant place!

Find it hard to get my head around the siesta thingy! Just can't imagine sleeping in the afternoon!
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:12 pm
Dipsomaniac

mikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to beholdmikeoc is a splendid one to behold

Sleeping in the afternoon is much better than sleeping at night in the summer. Oh and for skin protection I wear chain mail and a full suit of armour, you can't beat it
Old Mar 14th 2008, 10:46 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikeoc
Sleeping in the afternoon is much better than sleeping at night in the summer. Oh and for skin protection I wear chain mail and a full suit of armour, you can't beat it
Sunbathing at night is the thing. Dont have to worry about cream then. Swimming at night is definately good though, usually go for a dip around 12.30 - 1 am
Old Mar 14th 2008, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi thanks for your replies
Spain I was wondering about the P20 stuff...I have noticed Costco are selling it here at the moment, which brings me to another question...is there a Costco in Alicante region? Brilliant place!

Find it hard to get my head around the siesta thingy! Just can't imagine sleeping in the afternoon!
dont know of a Costco over here no but there is a Makro

It does take some getting used to, shops closing for siesta and on Sundays but you do in time - not sure about sleeping in the afternoon, think its only those retired folk that can do that
Old Mar 15th 2008, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Do, do, do get a Factor 50 for your face and, if possible, wear a hat (especially bald men). Just walking around in the summer sun at most times of the day can put your skin at risk.

I've lived in hot countries on and off for the last 40 years and now, after three of four removals of facial skin cancer, I always put my Factor 50 on. One by Galénic, to be found in most pharmacies, is a 40 ml tube for 14€. Good stuff. Dermatologist said to put it on during winter sun also.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Do, do, do get a Factor 50 for your face and, if possible, wear a hat (especially bald men). Just walking around in the summer sun at most times of the day can put your skin at risk.

I've lived in hot countries on and off for the last 40 years and now, after three of four removals of facial skin cancer, I always put my Factor 50 on. One by Galénic, to be found in most pharmacies, is a 40 ml tube for 14€. Good stuff. Dermatologist said to put it on during winter sun also.
Have you got pale skin or lots of freckles, or have you just been unlucky?
Old Mar 16th 2008, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

No, not fair-skinned nor unlucky, just failed to take proper precautions earlier in life in the Far East and Middle East and the damage was done then apparently.

For those who tan easily, like me, we can think we don't need protection. I know the factor 50 is for fair and delicate skins, but I'm not taking any chances now.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

No, not fair-skinned nor unlucky, just failed to take proper precautions earlier in life in the Far East and Middle East and the damage was done then apparently.

For those who tan easily, like me, we can think we don't need protection. I know the factor 50 is for fair and delicate skins, but I'm not taking any chances now.
You are quite right to take precautions now. Skin cancer seems to be on the rise, it is mentioned often now as we approach Summer in the UK even.
Thanks for that tip
Old Mar 16th 2008, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

I agree 100 per cent. I know all skin tones are at risk, but I was under the impression that dark skinned people could "get away" with it as I dont imagine the indigenous populations suffering from high rates of skin cancer or using skin protection. Or is that just because they dont have northern european sunbathing habits?

I btw use factor 50 as I dont want to acquire too many wrinkles and I too did a lot of bronzing in my twenties.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.