Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

"skills exchange": air con on the Costa del Sol

"skills exchange": air con on the Costa del Sol

Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light
Default "skills exchange": air con on the Costa del Sol

My husband is an air con installer, currently looking for work, and we have had the idea of offering installation or maintenance in exchange for whatever you would be able to offer us: items that you no longer need or professional services that you offer. We would only charge for cost of raw materials and fuel. Anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Torremolinos. Make us an offer!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 6:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "skills exchange": air con on the Costa del Sol

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
My husband is an air con installer, currently looking for work, and we have had the idea of offering installation or maintenance in exchange for whatever you would be able to offer us: items that you no longer need or professional services that you offer. We would only charge for cost of raw materials and fuel. Anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Torremolinos. Make us an offer!
can't help - but we do a lot of bartering around here

I've given free maths or language lessons in exchange for hairdressing/a private trainer/dance lessons for the kids

free translations for odd jobs and so on

It started when I was approached by someone who had a son who was struggling at maths & couldn't afford private lessons

she taught dance to kids & my younger dd was in one of her classes - so we agreed on a deal
Old Jul 4th 2010, 7:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
can't help - but we do a lot of bartering around here
I've not bartered as such, but I spent quite a lot of time photographing someone's five properties whilst we were staying in one, and the rental was nearly £700 a week, and they would not accept a penny. Mind you, a lot of work to do when I got home as well, but we were both happy with the deal. Also stayed three days at £90 a night in a rural hotel near Ronda and took lots of photos for them, and they would not accept any money either.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

In a slightly more organised, formalised, way, it already exists in the UK (and elsewhere worldwide) - known as LETS. Local Exchange Trading Scheme (or system)..... Started a version of it in our village last year, can't remember for the life of me what the Spanish phrase for it was but the idea is the same: you have a list of people with wants. Babysitting, gardening, help with IT, recipes, dog walking, whatever. Similarly you have a list of people offering their services. Can knit, can sew, can babysit, can look after old folk, knows a lot about the workings of a car, & so on. The agreed tariff is a 'whatever'. A unit with a name you agree on. Something of the order of €5 or £5 so maybe an hour's work. Nothing too professional. Works a treat if you can get people prepared to offer their services, because often no-one thinks they have anything to offer! What can I do? They ask themself. The fact they have the best ironed shirts in the area never occurs to them.. or their puddings are legend, or they knock up a mean website, you get the picture. Major difference from what's been mentioned so far being that you don't necessarily have to barter/swap with a specific person. You could babysit for Person A & 'buy' some plum jam from Person M. As long as the figures tally, that's all that matters.
However.
Warning.
In the UK the government has cottoned on to this and looked closely at how they might be able to weedle some taxes. So yes go to it but be prepared and hope the Spanish government isn't (yet)quite as 'alternative' savvy!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

We've already done loads of this in Barcelona: haircuts, photo sessions, computer help, courses, beauty treatments... in exchange we have offered aircon, sewing and Spanish classes! It really works and you can make great friends. I was wondering if there is any such thing set up in Arroyo or Torremolinos, and if there isn't I would like to get started! The whole tax thing in the UK is ridiculous, they are terrified of missing out on a buck or two, what is the problem with it, no cash changes hands, it is nothing to do with them! I heard a story about two women who took it in turns to care for their children being accused of tax dodging or the like, that beggars belief!

By the way I am also looking for a space in an office or local (basically a desk with internet connection to get me out of the house to work) in either of these towns, and would be happy to offer all kinds of skills including the above in exchange (I would be happy to pay something towards bills). If you happen to know of anyone (tall order but you never know!)...
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Originally Posted by fionamw
Started a version of it in our village last year, can't remember for the life of me what the Spanish phrase
It's usually called banco de tiempo.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

You sometimes see "trueque de habilidades" too. I've seen this on Loquo.com for example.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
You sometimes see "trueque de habilidades" too. I've seen this on Loquo.com for example.
I think that's probably a direct translation from English. It sounds really strange in Spanish.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

It might initially have been a direct translation of "skills exchange" as they couldn't think of anything better (so often the case!), but it is definitely part of the language now, not just a literal translation. Trueque certainly is a word in its own right.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

I've just realised you are Spanish, Siesta! So it may sound strange to you, but it is correct!
Old Jul 5th 2010, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

I know it's correct! I only say I've heard banco de tiempo more often. If you google it, banco de tiempo has 16 million entries, even a wikipedia one while trueque de habilidades has much less and most of them are ads.