Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Single male retiree.

Single male retiree.

Old Aug 9th 2009, 7:12 pm
Just Joined

ronnyboy72 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Single male retiree.

I hear so many pro's and cons regarding living in Spain.I know things are tough these days ,but thats true just about everywhere .I would like to know if 1200 euros per month is enough to live there.Also ,if someone there would like to share an apt.
Old Aug 9th 2009, 8:22 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Single male retiree.

Originally Posted by ronnyboy72
I hear so many pro's and cons regarding living in Spain.I know things are tough these days ,but thats true just about everywhere .I would like to know if 1200 euros per month is enough to live there.Also ,if someone there would like to share an apt.
Should be plenty for a single person, but you ain`t shacking up with me. ;-))
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Should be plenty for a single person, but you ain`t shacking up with me. ;-))
Me neither,..however if theres any cute dolly birds out there........
Old Aug 10th 2009, 4:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying you guys.Cute comments!You're not the right gender for me anyway.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:50 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

When we first came here 3 years ago Ronny we found we could both live on £1000 a month very easily, which was then €1400 ish euros. Obviously the r/ex has changed. A figure of €1200 should be OK for a single person, but it depends of course on where you are moving to and how muchy your accomodation is.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:29 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

You'd be struggling to live on 1,200 Euros a month in Marbella, Madrid or Barcelona, because of the accommodation costs, but you could easily live on that amount in Malaga, Alicante, or most of the rest of Spain, and for that amount you could live like a lord in Orihuela Costa or Benidorm, again because of the accommodation costs.

I believe that amount is around the national average income in Spain.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

You'd probably find Madrid a good place to head for, if you want to share an apartment. As there's a lot of older (mainly) brits and Irish there who are teaching English, it's quite common. My last flatshare there was with someone in his 50s (I'm not too far off that age myself). As for the money issue - you should be able to get a flatshare for around 400-500 Euros a month (including your share of bills). On top of that you'll need to budget for food, clothes and public transport (I think a monthly pass would be around 55 Euros). However, you'll need to look carefully at how much private healthcare will cost you. Even so, I think 1200 a month should be ok, unless you're thinking of driving a car (not really needed in Madrid) or drinking everynight in the Irish pubs (expensive) or (even worse) the cocktail bars. Do not under any account try the "topless" bar - they'll clean you out.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
you should be able to get a flatshare for around 400-500 Euros a month (
Yes, but to be fair you could get a villa here for the top end of that kind of money, plus bills. Flats in Oliva go for €350 a month
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:03 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes, but to be fair you could get a villa here for the top end of that kind of money, plus bills. Flats in Oliva go for €350 a month
Sounds very good value. Accommodation rates are higher in Madrid mainly because that's where the work is. Still cheaper than the UK (well the southeast and London).
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Thank you so much.Very helpful.I've been looking at Denia area,and Aguilas.I dont have to be on the beach,which would be more expensive.Also,i like a beer once in a while ,but i'm not a boozer.I got over that when i was younger.I'm used to the heat,i've lived 12 yrs in Phoenix,Az,and the past 21 yrs in Tucson.115 degrees in Phoenix yesterday,106 here in Tucson.ouch!But you know,i'm used to it by now.I do yearn for a beach.Thank god i'm fit.But you never know with health.That is a concern at my age.Thanks again for your input.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 1:15 pm
Senior Moment

Thank you so much.Very helpful.I've been looking at Denia area,and Aguilas.I dont have to be on the beach,which would be more expensive.Also,i like a beer once in a while ,but i'm not a boozer.I got over that when i was younger.I'm used to the heat,i've lived 12 yrs in Phoenix,Az,and the past 21 yrs in Tucson.115 degrees in Phoenix yesterday,106 here in Tucson.ouch!But you know,i'm used to it by now.I do yearn for a beach.Thank god i'm fit.But you never know with health.That is a concern at my age.Thanks again for your input.
Denia is nice, but very touristy and the property prices there were quite high, hence presumably rental will be also.

Try looking at the Gandia / Oliva / Pedregeur / Pego areas
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

jimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nicejimmbo is just really nice

We like both Denia & Aguilas, don't think there are that many English speakers in Aguilas, do you speak the lingo?
Health care, I think you would be better off in northern Costa Blanca.
Have a look at this link, see if it helps? www.practicalspain.com
Old Aug 10th 2009, 3:46 pm
Banned

Tele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the roughTele Addict is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
you should be able to get a flatshare for around 400-500 Euros a month (including your share of bills).
Near Alicante City you could get a four bedroom house for that amount.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

being a frequent visitor to denia, i've heard there are 1 bed flats going for around the €300 euro mark, within a few minutes walk of the beach. there are shed loads of apartments vacant there at the minute due to the crisis.
i think if youre looking somewhere with a bit of english spoken, along with a fairly big mix of other foreigners along with the locals, its a hard place to beat. plus its a year round town, due to the ferry to ibiza and the fishing fleet. yes, some of the shops and cafes close down in the winter, but more so the ones on the edge of town.
we've an apartment 20 mins walk from the centre of town and throughout the year the local pubs,restaurants and supermarket are all open.
i'm not sure if you'd find a flat share easily, but there are a fair few single chicas propping up the bars when i'm down
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks digdug,appreciate your info.I do like the looks of Denia.I speak a little Spanish,and know a lot of words.Arizona where i live now,until 27th Aug[returning to U.K.]is a border state with Mexico,lots of Spanish spoken here.Wish i'd learned more.But i'm studying now.