Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Old Jul 7th 2019, 10:26 am
Just Joined

FenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really nice
Default Re: Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by calman014
It's a good strategy to have a 3G or 4G device as a backup connection to the web anyway. Either through a dongle , mini 4g modem or using your mobile phone with tethering (existing data connection on your phone as access point).

Regarding uploading, if you can get a DSL connection with at least 10MBps download and 1Mbps up, it is normally sufficient even for video stuff, at the same time not costing a fortune. Plenty of capacity for streaming also, if it's a stable connection.
Thanks Calman.
If you have a backup device, dongle or mini modem, does that mean you can top up the data? Is datagone if not used within a certain amount of time, say at end of month?
As regards your second paragraph, I’m sorry don’t understand 🥵
Whats DSL vs fiber or is it the same?
Old Jul 8th 2019, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FenMary
Whats DSL vs fiber or is it the same?
ADSL is 5mb/sec -20mb/sec .. Fiberoptic is 50mb/sec 100mb/sec .. Fiberoptic is ALOT faster. Great for watching tv etc. ADSL is ok, I have 10mb at home.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

Adam777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just as a quick update to this.

I now have the Movistar 600MB download speed wi/fi .... well I think I do. For some reason the Modem is working but the wifi network is down... I shall sort that out today I heop.

As for the Amena en Casa.... I cancelled the first week....as my post of July 6th states.
They have yet to collect their Modem, I am being billed monthly for the service even though I dont use it.

When I talk to them it takes them 30 minutes each time to find my account as Im in some sort of holding pattern in their 'issues' pile so now they dont see me as a customer....even though their accounts people do.
They are waiting for their 'Systems' people to answer a question about my account..... its taken them over a month of waiting so far, it must be a bloody difficult question.

So.... avoid Amena is my advice. They will bill you on time, thats as much as I can say about them.
Old Sep 16th 2019, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by Adam777
Just as a quick update to this.

I now have the Movistar 600MB download speed wi/fi .... well I think I do. For some reason the Modem is working but the wifi network is down... I shall sort that out today I heop.

As for the Amena en Casa.... I cancelled the first week....as my post of July 6th states.
They have yet to collect their Modem, I am being billed monthly for the service even though I dont use it.

When I talk to them it takes them 30 minutes each time to find my account as Im in some sort of holding pattern in their 'issues' pile so now they dont see me as a customer....even though their accounts people do.
They are waiting for their 'Systems' people to answer a question about my account..... its taken them over a month of waiting so far, it must be a bloody difficult question.

So.... avoid Amena is my advice. They will bill you on time, thats as much as I can say about them.
Welcome to spain amigo par for the course. I think movistar are just great,We have found with movistar here are pretty good to react.
Old Sep 17th 2019, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I have recently relocated from an area with Movistar Fibre Optic (I had the 100MB service) to an inland village with no fibre optic (promised in the future) and so expected back to copper wires but no -

The word radio was mentioned when I signed up for the new Movistar service and I recollect from years ago people living inland struggling with some dodgy radio wave connection so I was totally amazed when I met the technician at the entrance to the village and he gave me a box with a router in that he promised was fully configured and just needed plugging into the electric socket.

I admit to cynicism as I returned home but hey presto plugged the router (Huawei B315) in and magic - via its internal SIM card 20MB speed and I have unlimited ADSL, unlimited landline calls, (and mobile service via normal mobile/SIM card) in Fusion# 20MB service which works brilliantly - although the mast is close by with good line of sight.
Old Sep 18th 2019, 3:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I have recently relocated from an area with Movistar Fibre Optic (I had the 100MB service) to an inland village with no fibre optic (promised in the future) and so expected back to copper wires but no -

The word radio was mentioned when I signed up for the new Movistar service and I recollect from years ago people living inland struggling with some dodgy radio wave connection so I was totally amazed when I met the technician at the entrance to the village and he gave me a box with a router in that he promised was fully configured and just needed plugging into the electric socket.

I admit to cynicism as I returned home but hey presto plugged the router (Huawei B315) in and magic - via its internal SIM card 20MB speed and I have unlimited ADSL, unlimited landline calls, (and mobile service via normal mobile/SIM card) in Fusion# 20MB service which works brilliantly - although the mast is close by with good line of sight.
how much does that package cost per month?
Old Sep 18th 2019, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The price is 50€ per month inc IVA.

The unlimited calls from the landline is restricted to calls to fixed lines only and the mobile is max 200 mins per month included.

The great thing is ease of setup - no cables, but you will need a good strength signal to the mast.