Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Old Dec 27th 2018, 11:32 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Originally Posted by MikeJ
If you cant wait for 5G you'd probably be better off searching for a Wimax provider. I'm not familiar with Barcelona area but it is a technological hub so I would be surprised if there was not such a service.
We use a Wimax service which is quite adequate for TV -( even HD on a good day) etc. They charge around 25€ per month which includes the router and reduce charges to a maintenance fee of 7€ when you are not there..

5G will not be available to the public until March 2020 at the earliest! This is only really of benefit to high data users
Old Dec 27th 2018, 12:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by almendro
They only throttle you once you go over the amount that you contracted

I live in a place which has no telephone line and I was using a wimax company at 3mb per second. (Iberbanda)
They were bought out by movistar and I think movistar were forced by the government to offer an unlimited internet to people like me.

The contract is Movistar Internet Radio which is only available to people with no other option ie with no possibility of a fixed line

Since I have started in august 2017 I have used 2.35 Terra of bandwidth using the 4g modem provided by movistar.
146 gigas per month (I don't consider myself a big internet user)

I also have a house on the coast and a house in Granada where I have a fusion adsl.

On the coast I get 10 mb per second and in Granada I am supposed to get 10mb but only get about 6.

Here in the middle of now where I get 22mb per second using 4g which is much better than adsl.

So I don't agree with Mike that you are ALWAYS better off.

If you could actually get unlimited 4g it would be better.

The problem is that most people use tons of bandwidth.

25 gigas could be used up in no time.
Just speaking from personal experience and trying to avoid sweeping statements. I had a 3G dongle and that was definitely throttled at peak times. When I complained I was pointed to the "fair usage" clauses. AFAIK 4G is available on contract services and not PAYG (although I stand to be corrected as it was over 12 months since I last checked). I'm reasonably happy with the 25Mb Wimax service I have because, although it is contracted, it is open ended no data limits and drops the price to 7euros when we're not there. They have pulled fibre into our urb but current contracts are 12-18months and so monthly prices for 4-6 month occupation are still a bit steep.
Old Dec 27th 2018, 12:47 pm
Just Joined

almendro is an unknown quantity at this point

What is the name of the Wimax service? Other people may be interested
Old Dec 27th 2018, 7:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Adam777 - Do you have unlimited data with the device you use in Malta? Since it runs off the mobile telephone network, I would assume no.

Why are you so opposed to getting a wired connection? I think, in general, most internet service that is based on the 4G network would have data limits. Whereas I believe that most wired solutions provide unlimited data. In a city like Barcelona, you should have a lot of choices for wired connections. Things like Wimax I think are mostly solutions for people who live in rural areas and can't get a wired connection.

One person mentioned Pepephone, which is what we have (ADSL). We're pretty happy with them. In addition, I'm sure that in Barcelona, you could get a fibre connection. Which would give you really fast connections speeds. I know that Pepephone offers fibre connections. I'm sure there are others, including Movistar.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
- Eric S.

Last edited by Eric S; Dec 27th 2018 at 7:06 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

CarolineNick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we have a house in Andalucía (bought only in May this year for retirement in 2022) and use a UK mobile internet dongle from Three whenever we’re there. We get, I think, 20GB per month for £15 and the contract is month-to-month. There was a one-off charge of £25 for the dongle which plugs into a regular electric socket or USB. With free roaming within the EEA, something like this may be an option for you - it may be possible just to keep your Malta contract and use it in Europe?

Whilst we’re thinking of getting wifi installed as reception can be patchy in our rural location, I think you’d get good reception in Barcelona.

Hope you get it sorted, Caroline.
Old Dec 28th 2018, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

almendro is an unknown quantity at this point

a 4g dongle would be OK.
Windows 10 allows a mobile hot spot (wifi tethering)

Also Lots of routers allow you to put a 4g usb dongle into the usb port and share internet like that.
My asus router lets me do that.
Old Dec 30th 2018, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adam777
Hello All,

I'm moving to Barcelona early in 2019. I'm currently living in Malta and Vodafone here has a small portable WiFi device for 25 euros a month.
You plug it into the wall and hey-presto you have WiFi at home. No connections, no cables. It runs off a 4G sim card. This works great for my internet use, I work from home running a small online business.

Is there anything similar in Barcelona? I've looked at the VodaFone Spain site and do not see a similar device but may have missed it.

I like the quick and simple setup as opposed to having to get something physically installed. I plan to rent for 6 months in Barcelona and then buy something when my property in Malta sells. So I'd rather avoid the inconvenience of hard-wired internet connections.

Thanks in advance for any help and Merry Xmas to everyone.

Adam
Orange/Amena do something similar across Spain - I took out the service while in Madrid and took it with me when I moved. It will work anywhere there's Orange 4G coverage.
Old Jan 4th 2019, 2:54 am
Just Joined

Soulmatebcn is an unknown quantity at this point

Agree with last comment. Amena is a quite a good option here in Barcelona
Old Jul 1st 2019, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Adam777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rachelk
Orange/Amena do something similar across Spain - I took out the service while in Madrid and took it with me when I moved. It will work anywhere there's Orange 4G coverage.
Thank you for this. So here I sit in Barcelona in my new place six months later and I've just signed up for this service, they deliver in a couple of days.

Many thanks.

Old Jul 1st 2019, 12:21 pm
Just Joined

FenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really nice
Smile Re: Simple SetUp Home WiFi in Barcelona - Advice Needed

Thank you for this. So here I sit in Barcelona in my new place six months later and I've just signed up for this service, they deliver in a couple of days.

Many thanks.
Congratulations and good luck in your new life in Barcelona
I am interested in the type of WiFi dongle, Company, costs etc of the new service you have chosen.
Having recently moved to Alicante City, we would like to watch Netflix ( even if not great at times!!!) etc while in Spain.
Trouble is I don’t really know how to calculate how much data I’m using.
Any advice appreciated

Old Jul 1st 2019, 4:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Try this app.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/dataman-next/id592962356
Old Jul 1st 2019, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

FenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really niceFenMary is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
Thank you but this link would not open
Old Jul 6th 2019, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Adam777 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FenMary

Congratulations and good luck in your new life in Barcelona
I am interested in the type of WiFi dongle, Company, costs etc of the new service you have chosen.
Having recently moved to Alicante City, we would like to watch Netflix ( even if not great at times!!!) etc while in Spain.
Trouble is I don’t really know how to calculate how much data I’m using.
Any advice appreciated

HI.

I must admit data usage is not something I had ever paid attention to, until now. If the information Im getting from the device is correct the 40GB data allowance is going to not be enough for my needs. If you are streaming Netflix then it might not be enough for yours, as you would be using 1GB to 2.3GB per hour depending if the video was SD or HD (they'll probably be HD). So you will get less than 10 hours of Netflix at HD quality.

In my case I work from home and will be doing a lot of video editing and lots of video uploads to Youtube....so this isn't going to work for me. The device is telling me Ive used 16GB in two days. If this is correct then from my calculations I would need to pay an extra 200 Euro a month to replicate the service I had in Malta (for 20 or 25 Euros a month there). I looked on the Vodafone Malta site to see what their data allowance was and I found it had a limit of 350GB.

Ah well at least now I know. They have a 14 day returns policy so I shall order a Fibre install and return this to them. Its a pity as I really like the flexibility of these devices and hate having people in my home to do work but its unavoidable.

Hope this helps.

PS... here is a link that might help you calculate your data use. In hindsight I should have looked at this first: https://www.vodafone.com.mt/Vodafone-faqs/home-internet

Last edited by Adam777; Jul 6th 2019 at 8:24 am.
Old Jul 6th 2019, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a good strategy to have a 3G or 4G device as a backup connection to the web anyway. Either through a dongle , mini 4g modem or using your mobile phone with tethering (existing data connection on your phone as access point).

Regarding uploading, if you can get a DSL connection with at least 10MBps download and 1Mbps up, it is normally sufficient even for video stuff, at the same time not costing a fortune. Plenty of capacity for streaming also, if it's a stable connection.
Old Jul 7th 2019, 10:20 am
Just Joined

HI.

I must admit data usage is not something I had ever paid attention to, until now. If the information Im getting from the device is correct the 40GB data allowance is going to not be enough for my needs. If you are streaming Netflix then it might not be enough for yours, as you would be using 1GB to 2.3GB per hour depending if the video was SD or HD (they'll probably be HD). So you will get less than 10 hours of Netflix at HD quality.

In my case I work from home and will be doing a lot of video editing and lots of video uploads to Youtube....so this isn't going to work for me. The device is telling me Ive used 16GB in two days. If this is correct then from my calculations I would need to pay an extra 200 Euro a month to replicate the service I had in Malta (for 20 or 25 Euros a month there). I looked on the Vodafone Malta site to see what their data allowance was and I found it had a limit of 350GB.

Ah well at least now I know. They have a 14 day returns policy so I shall order a Fibre install and return this to them. Its a pity as I really like the flexibility of these devices and hate having people in my home to do work but its unavoidable.

Hope this helps.

PS... here is a link that might help you calculate your data use. In hindsight I should have looked at this first: https://www.vodafone.com.mt/Vodafone-faqs/home-internet
Thanks for your reply. I’m glad that I’m not the only one trying to figure out data. 🤨
Hope you get something cost effective. Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.