British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   SIM only PAYG (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sim-only-payg-890793/)

Dondurma Jan 29th 2017 2:33 pm

SIM only PAYG

Anyone any recommendations for Sim only PAYG deals in Spain. I have an unlocked phone so just need a service. Cheers

tebo53 Jan 29th 2017 5:29 pm

Re: SIM only PAYG

Have a look at the Lebara deals, very cheap for international calls.

Dondurma Jan 29th 2017 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12164668)
Have a look at the Lebara deals, very cheap for international calls.

I thought they were UK not Spanish?
Using a U.K. Sim within Spain or to call back to U.K. (16p a minute) isn't cheap
It's a Spanish PAYG I need

tebo53 Jan 29th 2017 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dondurma (Post 12164699)
I thought they were UK not Spanish?

I'd never heard of Lebara Mobile until I came to live in Spain. Most of the expats I know are on Lebara as it's free to call each other. Very cheap calls to our son in the UK.

Definitely a Spanish mobile phone company.

Dondurma Jan 29th 2017 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 12164701)
I'd never heard of Lebara Mobile until I came to live in Spain. Most of the expats I know are on Lebara as it's free to call each other. Very cheap calls to our son in the UK.

Definitely a Spanish mobile phone company.

Thanks very much
I appreciate it

Eric S Jan 30th 2017 9:25 pm

We use Masmovil while we are in Spain. They have pretty good rates.

- Eric S.

stevesainty Jan 31st 2017 8:17 am

We use Hits

If you do not use it very often you can pay a small annual fee to stop the account being locked and also keep all your credit.
We use the automatic top up, 10€ when the balance falls below 4€

We also use their data on a contract, from 4.90€ per month which is enough for light surfing and emails. If you need more then there are other packages.

Free calls between Hits users too.

SuperSaint42 Feb 2nd 2017 11:26 am

Have you had a look at 1pMobile? To make calls from Spain to landlines and mobiles in both England and Spain costs 4p a minute, while it costs just 1p a minute to receive calls. There is a £5 monthly charge to use the service, but they are currently offering Double Credits. So, you can join with £5, £10, £15 or £30 and that will be doubled to £10, £20, £30 and £60 respectively. So, you could enjoy a year's usage for £30.

davidinspain Feb 2nd 2017 12:55 pm

Odd as it might seem Tesco mobile while roaming (UK SIM) charge 1p per text 4p per minute call charge and free to receive calls.Crazy world mobiles!

Dondurma Feb 2nd 2017 2:27 pm

Cheers folks for all the ideas

I think the problem with the likes of Tesco mobile is you must return to UK and use the phone every few months

davidinspain Feb 3rd 2017 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dondurma (Post 12169019)
Cheers folks for all the ideas

I think the problem with the likes of Tesco mobile is you must return to UK and use the phone every few months

Been back once in the two years I've had it.Spoke with their customer services and as long as there is credit and you make a call or text at least once every month,there is no problem.Really odd that it's cheaper to use in Spain than Movistar;)

johnnyone Feb 3rd 2017 12:50 pm

Looks like the end of roaming charges soon.

EU wins battle to end mobile roaming charges

You can already roam without charges on some monthly contracts, not sure about PAYG.

lic Feb 4th 2017 8:16 am

Get yourself a three.co.uk sim. Pays or monthly, they let you use their 'feel at home service', so you can call home to U.K. For free. You receive text,send text for free, and receive calls for free. You pay a small amount to call Spanish numbers. With my usage it's the cheapest way I've found to use. Mobile in Spain. Also they don't charge you to use the data in your plan in Spain.

Dondurma Feb 4th 2017 8:19 am

I already have Three PAYG Sim-but if you are in Spain long term they pull the plug on it as it says in their terms of use you must return to use it in U.K. after 2 consecutive months use abroad

Dondurma Feb 4th 2017 11:28 am

Ok thanks for all the help plus I have completed some research myself too.

Three is slightly the cheapest to use in Spain and for calling back to U.K. BUT there is indeed a time limit of two months use on this.

Tescomobile at 4p a min 1p texts 1p 100mb within Spain and Spain back to UK is slightly dearer than Three but there is no limitation on how long you can use it in Spain

Bizarrely Tescomobile charge 4p for calls in Spain but 25p for calls in the U.K.!!!!