British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Sim cards (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sim-cards-870090/)

Manclass Jan 5th 2016 7:12 am

Sim cards

I have an a UK mobile phone that's unlocked and I want to buy a Spanish sim card , I've asked in the Movistar shop and they don't sell them , anybody have any ideas where I can buy one ?
Thanks in advance.

mikelincs Jan 5th 2016 7:19 am

Re: Sim cards

Originally Posted by Manclass (Post 11828394)
I have an a UK mobile phone that's unlocked and I want to buy a Spanish sim card , I've asked in the Movistar shop and they don't sell them , anybody have any ideas where I can buy one ?
Thanks in advance.

Carrefour? any mobile phone shop, they are on sale almost anywhere..

Manclass Jan 5th 2016 7:36 am

Thank you, I didn't ask in any other mobile phone shops as the movistar shop told me they don't sell them. Thanks

snikpoh Jan 5th 2016 7:50 am

What Movistar do sell is a very cheap phone plus SIM (PAYG) plus credit. All-in-all it works out that you pay about 1€ for the SIM and phone!

Casa Santo Estevo Jan 5th 2016 11:08 am

Movistar do sell Prepaid SIM cards.
Website in Spanish. And they will sell contracts too.
However their cheaper service is Tueinti. Just look at the offer they have via the app. for phone calls.
We have had excellent service from our Movistar shop. It was them that told us about the sister company.

personal_assistant Jan 6th 2016 12:14 pm

I am using Simyo for years now and I am pretty sure it´s the best priced for the service you get. You can order Sim card online (prepaid or contract) and it will arrive in 3 days. No english website or phone assistance though...

Rosemary Jan 6th 2016 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by personal_assistant (Post 11829527)
I am using Simyo for years now and I am pretty sure it´s the best priced for the service you get. You can order Sim card online (prepaid or contract) and it will arrive in 3 days. No english website or phone assistance though...

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

personal_assistant Jan 6th 2016 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 11829598)
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

Thanks Rosemary! :)

bobd22 Jan 6th 2016 7:20 pm

First thing I would suggest is make enquiries re coverage of providers, depending where you are like UK some get better reception than others. Once you know that then look for a provider that gives best signal. For instance Carfour use Orange, Masmovil use Orange, Eroski use Vodafone etc.

amideislas Jan 6th 2016 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by personal_assistant (Post 11829527)

In Spain, it's a legal requirement to produce verifiable id in order to get a phone number. I wonder how they get around that without showing it in person.

Sending a copy of your passport by email is rather meaningless, since you can Photoshop anything you want.

Nonetheless, if they will accept that, then perhaps it actually is easy. It does, however, beg the question of how long they may be in business. The government doesn't look fondly on these types of operations.

Just saying....

Casa Santo Estevo Jan 6th 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11829955)
In Spain, it's a legal requirement to produce verifiable id in order to get a phone number. I wonder how they get around that without showing it in person.

Sending a copy of your passport by email is rather meaningless, since you can Photoshop anything you want.

Nonetheless, if they will accept that, then perhaps it actually is easy. It does, however, beg the question of how long they may be in business. The government doesn't look fondly on these types of operations.

Just saying....

Only around 10 years so far. WIKI

Good point about showing some form of ID when obtaining a Prepago SIM and they also want more information when purchasing a Contracto SIM

cymruambyth Jan 7th 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11829955)

We've been very happy with Digi Mobile; https://www.digimobil.es/index.php?idLang=2

Ordered sim on-line, delivered to the door, show delivery man your id - job done :thumbsup: