Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Signing On in Spain

Signing On in Spain

Old Mar 30th 2008, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Signing On in Spain

I have been told that if you are nearing retirement age and have been living as a resident in Spain for over two years that you can sign on for unemployment benefit. Has anyone done this?
Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Signing On in Spain

I believe that it is possible, but you have to have been paying into the social security system here.
Regards
Tim
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:02 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

If you sign on as looking for work, you don't get any money, but I believe you can get healthcare, for about a year I think.

JJ
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
I have been told that if you are nearing retirement age and have been living as a resident in Spain for over two years that you can sign on for unemployment benefit. Has anyone done this?
No !!!! Why would you want to do that ? If we all started doing that the
Spanish would really get the hump with us... they already blame us for the cost of living going up, the amount of rubbish that is accumulating in Spain, and the houses going up (even though they are quite happy to charge us a lot for the houses in the first place, then when we go back to the agent to sell it again, they tut and say, oh no, not worth a bean !! hehe. ) We have to support ourselves here in Spain, and when we go back to uk, they tell us that we can't have anything there either..... Tipico....
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueandterry
No !!!! Why would you want to do that ? If we all started doing that the
Spanish would really get the hump with us... they already blame us for the cost of living going up, the amount of rubbish that is accumulating in Spain, and the houses going up (even though they are quite happy to charge us a lot for the houses in the first place, then when we go back to the agent to sell it again, they tut and say, oh no, not worth a bean !! hehe. ) We have to support ourselves here in Spain, and when we go back to uk, they tell us that we can't have anything there either..... Tipico....
Are you just saying "No" because you don´t agree with it or do you actually know that this is a fact. We are all in the European Union and if someone in Spain can move to the UK, live there for six months and then sign on and get free healthcare. Why shouldn´t it work the other way.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

and if someone in Spain can move to the UK, live there for six months and then sign on and get free healthcare. Why shouldn´t it work the other way.
I'm not actually 100% sure thats the case, as I heard a government minister say so the other day and also I've read it somewhere. I'd love to see something official on this, as its something that is quoted a lot
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:01 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

if someone in Spain can move to the UK, live there for six months and then sign on and get free healthcare. Why shouldn´t it work the other way.
I heard on TV today, during a discussion about limiting further immigration into the UK, that this definately isn't the case. I too would like to see something official.

JJ
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jjh
I heard on TV today, during a discussion about limiting further immigration into the UK, that this definately isn't the case. I too would like to see something official.

JJ

A friend received a letter from Newcastle stating that when his E106 expired he wouldn´t be able to get NHS cover unless he lived back in the UK for six month
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

sueandterry is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you just saying "No" because you don´t agree with it or do you actually know that this is a fact. We are all in the European Union and if someone in Spain can move to the UK, live there for six months and then sign on and get free healthcare. Why shouldn´t it work the other way.
No, not saying I don't agree with it, but it's one of the things that are so unfair! As you quite rightly say, we are all European, and it should be reciprocal, BUT and this a big but, yes, a Spanish person can come to UK and
get all these benefits, and medical treatment,because he is an EEC citizen, but we have found that if we want to go back to UK to our own country, we are told that we are not habitually resident in the UK and therefore not entitled to anything. Also, unless you want to pay into the Spanish system, even though you have paid your dues in UK, you don't get a thing in Spain either. It really does seem very unfair.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 6:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sueandterry
, a Spanish person can come to UK and
get all these benefits, and medical treatment,because he is an EEC
As I already said, I dont think that is the case at all.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

marisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond reputemarisol has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this can help you or it is only for people from US. Anyway, i think you can chose your question

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/...=&p_faqid=1130

regards,
marisol
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:03 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As I already said, I dont think that is the case at all.
last year at the airport I stood infront of a spanish couple He looked as high as a kite. He told me he coudnt afford to live in Seville, but he could in London How ? I asked, he said he gets a free flat and no health care to pay for, I would assume from that he was on the minimum wage and got it all subsidised , that is if he worked at all. He was constantly telling me how good it was in the Uk and how it got it all for free ? I had my impressionable 15 year old with me and he was upset, he asked ? how mum how ? can someone not have to work ? How do I explain that is the English system.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:33 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by gallerie9
last year at the airport I stood infront of a spanish couple He looked as high as a kite. He told me he coudnt afford to live in Seville, but he could in London How ? I asked, he said he gets a free flat and no health care to pay for, I would assume from that he was on the minimum wage and got it all subsidised , that is if he worked at all. He was constantly telling me how good it was in the Uk and how it got it all for free ? I had my impressionable 15 year old with me and he was upset, he asked ? how mum how ? can someone not have to work ? How do I explain that is the English system.
Yes, but you just hit the nail on the head. You assume he's on minimum wage. So he's working, and so he is entitled to claim. If you come to Spain and you work you get state health care ..... its the same.

I dont believe it is the case that someone can just turn up on UK shores, sign on and get free housing.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:36 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I dont believe it is the case that someone can just turn up on UK shores, sign on and get free housing.
It isnt, and I have told people before about the way they are allowed to start claiming and it is only in cases where Political asylum has been approved or when they start paying taxes themselves, and if they are working then why shouldn't they receive all the benefits that come with paying taxes?