Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sign of the Times ?

Sign of the Times ?

Old May 21st 2013, 6:01 am
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Sign of the Times ?

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Another sign of the times.

http://elpais.com/elpais/2013/05/21/...15_570067.html

.....but good news at least for 5000 young Spaniards each year,

.....as long as they are happy to move to Germany.
It's really good to read something so positive for once, I'm sure they will make a go of it and be happy as generally speaking people who sign up for things like this go with a positive attitude as well which is often half the battle to make a success of things.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article a while ago in Sur in English about a group of Norwegian expats living in and around Fuengirola, I think it was, who had formed a voluntary organisation to help young unemployed Spaniards to find work in Norway. They were giving free language lessons and helping to make contacts with prospective employers and even linking up with people who could offer temporary accommodation to the young people when they first arrived in Norway. What a great initiative!
Old May 21st 2013, 6:20 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I don't think the ones I've spoken to go that far back, they range from people in their '50s to their '80s (the older ones having been back in Spain since they reached retirement age). It was work they were looking for, and much like people from the poorer areas of the UK who go South looking for work, the Andalucians went North, some only got as far as Madrid or Barcelona (a fair number of my neighbours have come back home from those places too) but a lot went further afield. The chap whose house we bought was a chauffeur for a French industrialist, and I've met lorry drivers, factory workers, builders, all kinds of jobs. One guy we got chatting to one day told us how much his pension was per month from working abroad, it was enough for him to live like a King here, as he said. A Spanish friend of mine who is just 50 went to Switzerland with her parents when she was 10, when they moved so her father could get a job, and just returned here 3 years ago when her husband retired. She is fluent in 4 languages (Spanish of course, plus German, Italian and French), puts me to shame.
I would still guess that much of it was due to the aftermath of the civil war.
Times were very bad in many areas well into the 1950s and Franco virtually abandoned many areas to their own devices, especially if they'd been batting for the other side.

A similar situation occurred in the Canaries at that time with lots of people virtually destitute.
Many were able to gain passage on cargo ships to Central America,especially Venezuela where there was an oil boom at the time, leaving lots of abandoned properties and even totally abandoned villages behind.

It was nice to see some of them and their descendants return many years later during the tourist boom, some opening Venezuelan bars and restaurants which knocked much of the original Spanish style offerings into a cocked hat.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:20 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I read an article a while ago in Sur in English about a group of Norwegian expats living in and around Fuengirola, I think it was, who had formed a voluntary organisation to help young unemployed Spaniards to find work in Norway. They were giving free language lessons and helping to make contacts with prospective employers and even linking up with people who could offer temporary accommodation to the young people when they first arrived in Norway. What a great initiative!
A cousin of mine has found a job in Tromso, pay is good and he is very happy there, he is even preparing to marry a local girl.

He does not even mind the long cold winters.

And they really are long and cold.
Old May 21st 2013, 6:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
A cousin of mine has found a job in Tromso, pay is good and he is very happy there, he is even preparing to marry a local girl.

He does not even mind the long cold winters.

And they really are long and cold.
Good luck to him. This is why I get a bit cross when people talk about Spanish workers in terms of the old stereotypes like "the manana syndrome" and say they are lazy, etc. I'm sure there are some lazy people around, every country will have a certain percentage of those, but I'm genuinely admiring that so many Spanish people have been in the past, and are again today, prepared to go to such lengths to make a good life for themselves and their families. It must have been even harder in times gone by when communication and transport was much more difficult than it is now.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:05 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck to him. This is why I get a bit cross when people talk about Spanish workers in terms of the old stereotypes like "the manana syndrome" and say they are lazy, etc. I'm sure there are some lazy people around, every country will have a certain percentage of those, but I'm genuinely admiring that so many Spanish people have been in the past, and are again today, prepared to go to such lengths to make a good life for themselves and their families. It must have been even harder in times gone by when communication and transport was much more difficult than it is now.
Quite right, now with flights and skype it is often as though people are still just around the corner.

I suppose the people that went to European countries like our families were lucky, as they could at least visit once in a while.

The ones that emigrated to south America, that was a different matter.
In many cases they never saw their parents again, as the distance and cost was too great.

The world really has gotten smaller and even longer distances like Oz are reachable, but for my parents generation that would have been nigh on impossible.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to beholdjennieJ is a splendid one to behold

It's really encouraging to know that these initiatives are going on, Norwegian seems like it is such a difficult language to learn as well so it shows some people are prepared to make the necessary effort required, even when things aren't straightforward.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:28 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennieJ
It's really encouraging to know that these initiatives are going on, Norwegian seems like it is such a difficult language to learn as well so it shows some people are prepared to make the necessary effort required, even when things aren't straightforward.
It must be much tougher for the Spanish moving there as regards the language and much easier for us Brits, as there has been a huge surge of ppl in Scandinavia learning English in recent years, thereby making it much easier to settle in in the first instance, before becoming entirely familiar with a new language.
Old May 21st 2013, 7:28 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

we have a few Norwegian friends and they all speak perfect English, almost bi-lingual. Same when you go to the larger towns like Stavanger etc. As they say they have to speak English good as hardly anyone in the world speaks their language
Old May 21st 2013, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
It must be much tougher for the Spanish moving there as regards the language and much easier for us Brits, as there has been a huge surge of ppl in Scandinavia learning English in recent years, thereby making it much easier to settle in in the first instance, before becoming entirely familiar with a new language.
True I had forgotten that most scandiwegians speak English, I think most Brits dislike the climate there though and the price of alcohol.
Old May 21st 2013, 8:25 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
we have a few Norwegian friends and they all speak perfect English, almost bi-lingual. Same when you go to the larger towns like Stavanger etc. As they say they have to speak English good as hardly anyone in the world speaks their language
Love it! Satire at its best.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:13 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jennieJ
True I had forgotten that most scandiwegians speak English, I think most Brits dislike the climate there though and the price of alcohol.
Well actually the climates not so bad, depending exactly where you are in Scandinavia. I have a place just on the Swedish side of the border with Norway and overall it's no worse than my place in the UK, though there again that's not brilliant climate-wise.

Probably the long hours of Winter darkness are the most depressing, but in the very South that's not so bad and no worse than the North of England.
The west of Norway catches a lot of rain, but is lovely when fine, while on the east side of Sweden the weather tends to be much more settled with less rain and snow.

The alcohol is no problem for me as I can regularly ship a load up from Spain, also due to the State restrictions and crazy prices there is plenty of very potent Moonshine readily available if you know the right ppl.
Old May 21st 2013, 9:59 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

The scenery is wonderful and the houses really warm and cosy...prices, WOW
Old May 21st 2013, 10:23 am
On the road again.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The scenery is wonderful and the houses really warm and cosy...prices, WOW
Beautiful around my place, houses with triple glazing throughout and not expensive.
No work anywhere close that's the main reason, worse still since Saab virtually went to the wall.

Across in Stockholm it's arms and legs for a place about the size of a wardrobe.
Much like the difference between London and the N.E pricewise..
Old May 21st 2013, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jimenato
Love it! Satire at its best.
My young student came round yesterday after school with her English homework - one of the exercises was to change adjectives into adverbs. We were getting on swimmingly until it came to "good" - how on earth do you explain that in English the adverb is not "goodly", but "well"? I resorted to saying it was an exception, irregular like los verbos irregulares in Spanish! I never realised what a strange language English is until I started these sessions.