British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Siesta and noise (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/siesta-noise-916759/)

BlueScottyGirl Sep 1st 2018 11:46 am

Siesta and noise

I'm currently, and temporarily, living in an apartment near Madrid Airport. I play the bagpipes and I really, really want to get back into my practice, maybe not every day but a couple of times a week if I can. Obviously, I can't do this in an apartment so I've earmarked a couple of outdoor spots that might be suitable. Thing is, I'm not sure what time to play as I'm aware that our neighbours go quiet in the afternoons...and when I say "go quiet" I mean the woman next door refrains from shouting and they even manage to get the dog to stop barking for a few hours. :-) Like clockwork though, it all gets noisy about 5pm. I pondered maybe 12-1pm and/or 5-7pm being good times, maybe just half an hour so that I didn't disturb anyone for too long. I also play a small instrument that I could play indoors, it would be heard next door but not if they had the tv or their music on.

Can anyone clarify the absolute "no no" time for noise and point out if there are any other issues or concerns I should be thinking about? Will I risk getting arrested? I will most definitely not be busking or playing in an area where they might think I am.

VEDShappy Sep 1st 2018 1:38 pm

Re: Siesta and noise

From my experience of living in both country and town I would say to avoid 2.00pm to 5.00pm. This three hours has been "quiet time" in both locations.
There has been no set rule to this and on a few occasions neighbours have continued with DIY all afternoon without any complaints. Similarly there is a music school behind where we now live and practice often doesn't start until 11.00pm!
Be sensible and considerate and I doubt you'll have a problem.........unless of course someone thinks that you're strangling a cat.

Johncarzx Sep 2nd 2018 8:53 am

Hi Scotty.
It might depend on how well you blow them. I have a neighbour who has acquired a trumpet and he is not Louis Armstrong. Idoubt the Spanish will complain as they all seem to be born with a hearing impediment, when Dragons Den comes to Spain I am going on it promoting hearing aids for the Spanish.There is now a musician’s sound proofing kit available on ebay or try the Hacienda waiting room, they listen to nothing.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...72fdd06929.jpg

BlueScottyGirl Sep 2nd 2018 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Johncarzx (Post 12557524)
Hi Scotty.
There is now a musician’s sound proofing kit available on ebay or try the Hacienda waiting room, they listen to nothing.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...72fdd06929.jpg

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Not to blow my own bagpipe or anything but I'm not too bad. I wouldn't be too harsh to listen to I don't think.

dougal03 Sep 2nd 2018 2:07 pm

I have a close relative who was married to a Scot who played the pipes.I believe there are pipes that are traditionally used for "outside use".He had a set of those.This was some years ago,but when I resided in Scotland,he used to clean the bag with(to me) a disgusting mixture of various ingredients(honey being the best)which he squeezed about until,I suppose,it lubricated that organ.Then it was the "start up",drones,those long upright bits,thrown across one brawny shoulder,left hand fingers poised across the appropriate holes & right arm at the elbow ready to nudge the bag which emits quite a lot of squeals before the actual serious rendition is heard.As you can imagine this was what was used in various British wars to frighten off the aggressors.I may be wrong but I believe most pipers eventually end up with hearing aids due to the high incidence of tinnitus amongst band members.My relative later I heard,was divorced.

Johncarzx Sep 2nd 2018 2:27 pm

Maybe that's why all the Spanish shout.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...d778dda05c.jpg

rachelk Sep 3rd 2018 2:52 am

Almost completely unrelated but some days in el Retiro there are a couple of spanish gents playing the bagpipes. The first time I saw them I was so surprised I stopped to talk and they played Flower of Scotland for me :)

BlueScottyGirl Sep 3rd 2018 11:22 am

Originally Posted by rachelk (Post 12557823)
Almost completely unrelated but some days in el Retiro there are a couple of spanish gents playing the bagpipes. The first time I saw them I was so surprised I stopped to talk and they played Flower of Scotland for me :)

That is so cool, if you ever come across me playing I'll play it for you too :-)

I hope I see them on my travels.

BlueScottyGirl Sep 3rd 2018 11:23 am

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12557629)
......a disgusting mixture of various ingredients(honey being the best)which he squeezed about until,I suppose,it lubricated that organ.Then it was the "start up",drones,those long upright bits,thrown across one brawny shoulder,left hand fingers poised across the appropriate holes & right arm at the elbow ready to nudge the bag which emits quite a lot of squeals before the actual serious rendition is heard.As you can imagine this was what was used in various British wars to frighten off the aggressors.I may be wrong but I believe most pipers eventually end up with hearing aids due to the high incidence of tinnitus amongst band members.My relative later I heard,was divorced.

That pretty much sums it up for most :rofl::rofl:

dougal03 Sep 3rd 2018 1:26 pm

Mind you, when I lived in Edinburgh would never miss the big treat of booking for the "Edinburgh Tattoo".Still watch it on British TV.But somehow,Spanish pipers don't quite catch the imagination,maybe it's the sun tanned legs instead of the freckled knees!

teuchterpete Sep 3rd 2018 2:42 pm

Any time after 9.00 pm should be fine. We like to play music ( I play the fiddle amd my wife plays the flute/flagelot whistle. It is mainly Irish/celtic.) We have asked a few of the bars around if we could practice in one of their rooms and they usually say yes, in fact on one occasion the propriotor even invited the local mayor ( without letting us know first) try asking around you may be surprised.
Pete

cermignano Sep 3rd 2018 3:58 pm

Have any of you been to the Douglas Days in Teba in Seville province? A few bagpipes and Scottish dancing there.

teuchterpete Sep 4th 2018 5:29 am

Originally Posted by cermignano (Post 12558072)
Have any of you been to the Douglas Days in Teba in Seville province? A few bagpipes and Scottish dancing there.

When are they? Saw some pipers in Oviedo, Galicia a few weeks ago, however they only managed " Black bear, and Scotland the brave"

cermignano Sep 4th 2018 2:08 pm

In Teba, inland Andalucia. About an hour or so from Malaga airport. Dedicated to Black Douglas who stopped off there on his way to the Holy Land with the heart of Robert the Bruce (so the story goes). He stopped at Teba to help with Alphonso's fight against the Moors (so the story goes). Anyway, great history to it. Each year the villagers commemorate him with three days - 'Dias Douglas'. There is a lovely little museum dedicated to this in the old castle ruins. Go see this and the plinth in the village square even if you do not make it to the festival. It was 21st to 23rd August this year. Fantastico

cermignano Sep 4th 2018 2:10 pm

The Strathleven Association from Renton go every year. Google. No siesta and plenty of noise. Absolutely fabulous.