British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Siesta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/siesta-729234/)

Rosemary Aug 19th 2011 3:11 pm

Siesta

What has happened to the siesta, when we first arrived here if anyone dared to make a noise between 2-30 and 4-30 they were in trouble now the builders around here work until 1-30 and then start work again at 2-30. It is very diffcult to have my nap.

Graham

jackytoo Aug 19th 2011 3:29 pm

Re: Siesta

Builders on the coast have had only 1 hour for years.

Do you mean to say that someone somewhere is actually still building...and in August:rofl:

paintermujer Aug 19th 2011 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9569347)
What has happened to the siesta, when we first arrived here if anyone dared to make a noise between 2-30 and 4-30 they were in trouble now the builders around her work until 1-30 and then start work again at 2-30. It is very diffcult to have my nap.

Graham

What an intersting thread.

We also have demolition going on very near us,lots of farm relics and wow its going to look different.But they have started very early and have worked continuously all day,right through siesta and beyond.

That aside,we often talk about siesta and how many people obviously dont get a chance anymore...............or do they.Or is it easier when youre older...

Late at night no stopping them.

How do they do it?

Rosemary Aug 19th 2011 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9569376)
Builders on the coast have had only 1 hour for years.

Do you mean to say that someone somewhere is actually still building...and in August:rofl:

There does not seem to have been much of a crisis here for our builders. Initially they went a little quiet but have been very busy for some time now.

Rosemary

Dick Dasterdly Aug 19th 2011 8:00 pm

I couldn't live without my Siestas,..no way, be it in the UK, Spain or anywhere else.
I think it was Churchill said during the war, that his hour on an afternoon was worth at least two on a night.

I found it especially beneficial in Tenerife and enabled me to be out on the razzle all night if needs must. :thumbup:

I don't have any problem with builders at my Spanish place way out in the sticks surrounded mainly with open rural countryside where it's highly unlikely any further major building will take place for many years to come,if ever, for quite a number of reasons.

Though having said that almost everytime I return from England, my crafty Spanish neighbour seems to be completing yet another sly building project well out of sight in the trees behind his house.

Rosemary Aug 19th 2011 11:22 pm

No sleep at night for 4 nights as it is the 7 day fiesta that is organised by the 18 year old lads so we have loads of things set up including football, gymkana, a night of karoake, night of a rock band, two nights of disco and of course the religious procession with them all dressed up in their traditional costumes. The music all starts at 11 or 12 o´clock and goes on until 5 or 6 in the morning. The youngsters love it, neighbours sit out until the small hours chatting, there is a great atmosphere. Our first August here we could not believe it but are now well and truely used to the fact that we have 5 fiestas that run one into the other so from begining of August until mid September there is nearly always something happening. Although it is for the young they do not have a thing about the oldies mixing in with them. A couple of years ago we thought that it was all rained off but after our celebration meal with our friends we were dragged down to the old cinema where they were having their disco and the teens well and truely made us all welcome and encouraged us all to join in. Cannot imagine that happening in the UK.

Rosemary

Mitzyboy Aug 22nd 2011 5:38 pm

I never have them ..... waste of daylight hours :);)

fionamw Aug 22nd 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9575261)

OMG Mitz I love you!!!!!!!!!! Someone saying what my mother always said and consequently I've always thought........ now all that's left is to convince the (snoozing) OH:rofl:

Mitzyboy Aug 22nd 2011 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 9575315)
OMG Mitz I love you!!!!!!!!!! Someone saying what my mother always said and consequently I've always thought........ now all that's left is to convince the (snoozing) OH:rofl:

On the one hand I'm happy, because I knew someone somewhere must love me. On the other hand, I'm being compared to your mother :eek:. No offence of course, I'm sure she is / was a lovely lady :)

angiescarr Aug 23rd 2011 9:17 am

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9569347)
What has happened to the siesta, when we first arrived here if anyone dared to make a noise between 2-30 and 4-30 they were in trouble now the builders around here work until 1-30 and then start work again at 2-30. It is very diffcult to have my nap.

Graham

The siesta is still live and well in my Pueblo especially in Summer, but often doesn't start 'till around 4 and goes on till 7. I love it! But since getting a comfier sofa I often siesta in front of the telly. I still think that it makes 2 days for the price of one! I have noticed that people have started working in August though.

jackytoo Aug 23rd 2011 9:28 am

I have rarely slept a siesta as I just feel groggy for ages afterwards and then can't sleep at night.

The siesta is dying out on the coast. It works ok if people live close by but many who live in málaga travel to work as far as marbella so they are just hanging around for 2 hours, killing time. I know a few who grumble about it. A friend works in Banus and it takes her 20 mins to get home. Plus there is extra cost of travelling twice a day. Siesta only works for the mom and pop run shops. Those who work in the Town hall are fortunate 8am - 3pm and finihed for the day

Dick Dasterdly Aug 23rd 2011 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 9575261)

There is life and good fun to be had after the Sun goes down. ;)

It's also nice to be fresh, fit and frisky enough to enjoy it. :D

Mitzyboy Aug 23rd 2011 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9576623)
I have rarely slept a siesta as I just feel groggy for ages afterwards and then can't sleep at night.

Absolutely the same for me. Thats why I dont do it, because I feel worse afterwards for ages.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9577081)
There is life and good fun to be had after the Sun goes down. ;)

It's also nice to be fresh, fit and frisky enough to enjoy it. :D

Ahh, but some of us can be up at 6 in the morning, cycle 50 miles, have a full day and STILL be fresh enough to enjoy the evenings :D

montgomail Aug 26th 2011 11:07 am

Would siesta every day if I could - and often do - it's a lifetime habit which I've got down to a fine art. I sleep very lightly for between ten and twenty minutes and wake up feeling totally refreshed .... any longer than 20 mins and you get that groggy "what day is it" feeling which is not beneficial.

I like to wake early and retire late, so a siesta is important. :zzz::)

missile Aug 26th 2011 1:00 pm

If it upsets you, I believe you can denounce (complain about) builders working through siesta.