Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Should I take my own car to spain?

Should I take my own car to spain?

Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:13 am
Just Joined

camomiletea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Should I take my own car to spain?

The family and I are moving over in around 10 days and we have not found a buyer for our car so are now considering taking it over with us. The only offers we have had were just people taking a chance offering like 4k when the car is really worth more like 8k. So with time running out we are now looking at taking the car with us because 4k won't get us anything close to the car we have right now but of course there are problems taking your car across because you can only drive it legally for 6 months apparently and then the steering wheel is on the wrong side too. Not to mention when comes time to sell it iwe may be stuck with it over there because unless someone wants to drive it back to the UK or Ireland, I doubt they would buy it too keep it in spain right?

So I guess I am just wondering what other people would do? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Oh and I should mention that we lived in SPain before so we have padrons and NIE numbers and all the rest so maybe registering the car there might not be so difficult if we want to go through with taking it across?
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I take my own car to spain?

Originally Posted by camomiletea
The family and I are moving over in around 10 days and we have not found a buyer for our car so are now considering taking it over with us. The only offers we have had were just people taking a chance offering like 4k when the car is really worth more like 8k. So with time running out we are now looking at taking the car with us because 4k won't get us anything close to the car we have right now but of course there are problems taking your car across because you can only drive it legally for 6 months apparently and then the steering wheel is on the wrong side too. Not to mention when comes time to sell it iwe may be stuck with it over there because unless someone wants to drive it back to the UK or Ireland, I doubt they would buy it too keep it in spain right?

So I guess I am just wondering what other people would do? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. Oh and I should mention that we lived in SPain before so we have padrons and NIE numbers and all the rest so maybe registering the car there might not be so difficult if we want to go through with taking it across?
You will still have to go along with the coast for registering it onto Spanish plates, so lghts change, which may be expensive if you have fog lights, reversing lights etc. If you have not owned the car for at least 6 months there will be extra to pay, and at the end of the process you have a car where the driving position is on the wrong side, problems if you visit barrier car parks etc, I got use to being held up at car parks by RHD cars while the driver either had to undo the seat belt, then scoot over to the passenger side to get the ticket, and then do the reverse to get going again, or they got out of the car, walked round to the machine and then had to walk back.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Yeah we have considered all of that and it is a pain but so is selling the car for half its value. Would it be possible to sell the car there to someone coming home to the UK or even Ireland without registering it in Spain? We could put in on sale right away and we would have 6 months to sell it right?
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah we have considered all of that and it is a pain but so is selling the car for half its value. Would it be possible to sell the car there to someone coming home to the UK or even Ireland without registering it in Spain? We could put in on sale right away and we would have 6 months to sell it right?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought selling it to say buyanycar.com would still be better than having the hassle and cost of bringing it here. You will have plenty of other issues to sort out without worrying about car legalities.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

ok thank you
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 9:42 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

You will get peanuts for it in Spain, UK plated cars are for sale all over the place, but unless the new owner is going to return to the UK straight away they will have the problems of registering it, and remember that the car, to be legal in Spain even for he time before registering it, must be street legal in the country of it's registration, so for most UK cars in date MOT and tax is essential, and the Spanish traffico can check with the UK database AFAIK.
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 12:00 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola,
You need to add up the costs of registering it in Spain including the first registration (import) tax because if you are on the padron from before, you are out of time for including it in your goods and chattels.
You have not stated what the car is nor its age; those plus the CO2 emissions will give a clue as to the costs of importing it. Add the costs of headlights, and rear reversing & rear fog lights plus say 500€ other rematriculation costs.
There will be a cost getting it to Spain so all in all - my advice would be take a lesser amount to sell the car in the UK - or decide to keep the car and use it in Spain for 4/5 years

Davexf
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Try buyanycar anyway to see what you are offered
Old Jun 3rd 2017, 2:39 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Many dealers in the UK will give you a fair price as will buyanycar or webuyanycar etc.

Go online and check they will give a free valuation followed by a visual check, have a drive around used car dealers and ask

Driving the car to Spain then doing a part ex with a local expat used car dealer might also be an option
Old Jun 5th 2017, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

I think that you may have to bite the bullet and start with a clean sheet.Hoping to sell your car to someone coming back is asking a lot. Potential buyers aren't daft and would realise that you are on a loser. Local police take a keen interest in non Spanish vehicles. Why not try looking at 60 day car rentals.I use Recordgo and have done for some time. I take their insurance, it looks expensive but match it against buying a car immediately and consider.
Old Jun 5th 2017, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Dont take your car to Spain , too much hassle and its value will plummet even more when it becomes a RHD Spanish registered car.
Evans Halshaw claim to pay more than werobyourcar dot com , assuming its under 5 years old .
Old Jun 7th 2017, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

What car is it / what year / mileage ?
Nobody has yet mentioned that the price of cars in Spain is exorbitant compared with the UK.
Old Jun 7th 2017, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
What car is it / what year / mileage ?
Nobody has yet mentioned that the price of cars in Spain is exorbitant compared with the UK.
Or that service history for older cars is often painfully absent. Could be the owner had it serviced but no receipt to avoid IVA, could be didn't bother.

I also don't think the statement that we buy anycarr pay a fair price is accurate. Those companies business model of necessity is to pay a lower market price to cover their overheads, possible stuck with car for a while etc. Great for a quick sale.

How about Ebay with a reserve? Whatever you do wont be ideal and will involve money (yours)
Old Jun 7th 2017, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Klee88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Similar issue, any advise please. I've got a brand new 66 plate BMW electric car with a petrol range extender that I'm thinking of bringing over in August when we move to near Gibraltar. I've had a price for shipping what else do I need to consider? What does changing to Spanish plate intale.

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.