Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

should I study in Oviedo or las palmas GC?

should I study in Oviedo or las palmas GC?

Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

ema_mckay is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should I study in Oviedo or las palmas GC?

Hi all,

In september I start my year abroad of my spanish degree. We have a choice of uni that we can study in and I have narrowed down my choices to Oviedo or las palmas. My current situation is that I'm a single mother with two children 12 and 7years.

I choose Oviedo because last year I went to visit and thought the people were friendly, this is important to bring my children into a community environment. and that the real spanish element would improve my spanish ten-fold. Also it is easy to access by ferry or plane. So I could bring my car and most of our personal belongings easy enough. However the whole time I was there it rained. And although I'm not going for the weather, I do think that for quality of life a bit of sun will make all the difference.

Las palmas appeals to me because of the small island atmosphere. Being able to travel around and make roots. A big plus will be the weather, sure the kids will not hate me for too long if I take them to the beach at weekends. There are also more International schools in this area (although I havent decided weather to do the state school option?) But it is further away from home and less easy to find low cost flights. But on a whole accomodation seems cheaper?

Any constructive opinions will be welcomed. I very much appreciate the advice given by the experienced. Hopefully I will be able to give back some soon!

Thanks
Emma
Old Aug 9th 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: should I study in Oviedo or las palmas GC?

Personally I would pick Oviedo. When you aren't studying I guess you will want to explore, and it is far easier (and much more interesting) to explore mainland Spain than an island.

I've never been to Las Palmas, but I'm guessing it is quite touristy? If so you'll have to cope with tourists and the ebb and flow of the population as they come and go (if you're studying Spanish I guess you'd prefer to be away from the English speaking tourists).
Old Aug 9th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

It's only a year after all. I would choose Oviedo too, much more to do and hey, what's a bit of rain! It makes for wonderful food and lovely countryside.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 5:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
It's only a year after all. I would choose Oviedo too, much more to do and hey, what's a bit of rain! It makes for wonderful food and lovely countryside.
and if it's only a year - International school if you can find one - especially for the 12 year old!
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Oviedo and Asturias is one of my favourite places in the world (and Woody Allen's too apparently). I would move there at the drop of a hat if I could.

The uni is good and there are almost no foreigners making it perfect for learning Spanish. The accent is also easy to understand. The food is awesome and countyside beautiful. I dont think there are any international schools, but there is 1 private school on the outskirts of Ovideo that has an international section (that where the kids of the US workers of Du Pont go). Maybe a little pricey though.

However, if your dream of Spain is sun, sand and sangria, then this is definitely not for you
Old Aug 10th 2009, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Just a small point... As far as I understand, Spanish degrees have 30-35 hours timetabled lectures and seminars each week (compared to maybe only 10 hours timetabled in the UK) which some lectures being at 7pm or 8pm at night.

Maybe worth checking for your degree as you may need to take it into account when arranging childcare
Old Aug 10th 2009, 7:27 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ema_mckay
Hi all,

In september I start my year abroad of my spanish degree. We have a choice of uni that we can study in and I have narrowed down my choices to Oviedo or las palmas. My current situation is that I'm a single mother with two children 12 and 7years.

I choose Oviedo because last year I went to visit and thought the people were friendly, this is important to bring my children into a community environment. and that the real spanish element would improve my spanish ten-fold. Also it is easy to access by ferry or plane. So I could bring my car and most of our personal belongings easy enough. However the whole time I was there it rained. And although I'm not going for the weather, I do think that for quality of life a bit of sun will make all the difference.

Las palmas appeals to me because of the small island atmosphere. Being able to travel around and make roots. A big plus will be the weather, sure the kids will not hate me for too long if I take them to the beach at weekends. There are also more International schools in this area (although I havent decided weather to do the state school option?) But it is further away from home and less easy to find low cost flights. But on a whole accomodation seems cheaper?

Any constructive opinions will be welcomed. I very much appreciate the advice given by the experienced. Hopefully I will be able to give back some soon!

Thanks
Emma
Two important points not yet mentioned :

Have you looked into healthcare for you and your children, and if your car is legal and going to be insured for a long stay, as you will be resident in Spain and not the UK.
So much to check out first.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks
Emma
I did exactly this back in 1998 with my then 9 year old daughter. I did my sandwich at Valencia university.

My daughter went to a spanish school for the year.She was the only "foreigner" at the school and the spanish kids were fascinated with her.

She made loads of friends and really became one of them. I too made lots of friends through the school. It was a real wrench to leave at the end of the year and it has taken another 10 years to go back permenantly which we are doing in 3 weeks.

Do not worry at all about your younger child. Put them into a spanish school. They will love it and upon your return to the UK he/she may only be very marginally behind - I noticed with my daughter she had gotten so used to the phonetics of spanish and also her style of writing which her english school immediately stopped.

Your older child is at a more difficult age. Really an english speaking school would be better and he/she could carry on with the national cirriculum.

Although I took private healthcare with us we were never asked for it and always used our E111 for treatment. We were never questioned about it and used the healthcentre regularly and even had to attend the hospital when my daughter developed a fever.

The university staff will be a great help and I think you may also get extra funding from them when you are there because you are on your own with children.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

You need to carry out a check for your healthcare. Like I said we used our E111 but that was a while ago now and things may have changed a little.

An E 106 may be needed for your stay but you are not resident there for the year and you will not have to go through all the hassle that residents do for healthcare.

Check with your uni and the DWP. They will advise you.

Good luck and i bet at the end you wont want to go back to the UK.

I remember phoning my mum the day before we were due to fly back and told her We were going to stay.

Money was tight. I could have taken on a couple of jobs but couldnt even wait to be paid so we returned and we told all our friends we would be back soon!!!!!!!!! - regardless of finishing my degree!!!!!!!!

It broke our hearts to leave as it really felt like home with the best friends you could imagine.

Its going to be a real life experience for your children - do not worry about anything even though it may seem daunting to start with.

Take it from me - Ive done it.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I did exactly this back in 1998 with my then 9 year old daughter. I did my sandwich at Valencia university.
This is a great bit of advice. I was contemplating valencia? I have been there and it is lovely. Probably warmer than Oviedo too and with more options for international schools for my eldest.

Can I also ask, dont answer if I'm being too personal! but I rent here in the UK and I really want to keep the house on while I'm away for the year. Did you do this? Also I will then be able to leave my belongings here and just take some personal stuff.

It's good to hear that this has been done sucessfully by someone else because at the moment I feel like its impossible!

x
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:45 am
Just Joined

It broke our hearts to leave as it really felt like home with the best friends you could imagine.
And which area in valencia did you stay. Its another real worry that I wont make any friends! Were your friends Spanish? Did your Spanish Improve a lot?

I am now thinking Valencia? So confusing
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

This is a great bit of advice. I was contemplating valencia? I have been there and it is lovely. Probably warmer than Oviedo too and with more options for international schools for my eldest.

Can I also ask, dont answer if I'm being too personal! but I rent here in the UK and I really want to keep the house on while I'm away for the year. Did you do this? Also I will then be able to leave my belongings here and just take some personal stuff.

It's good to hear that this has been done sucessfully by someone else because at the moment I feel like its impossible!

x
We were renting in the UK and gave the place up along with getting rid of our furniture.

How could you fund the payments?

We were left with only our personal stuff which was still alot and that stayed with a relative.

My daughter took quite alot of toys with her to make it more homelike.

In fact when we got to Valencia airport the only suitcase to turn up was beccas case full of toy monkeys - no clothing for us, nada.

Our cases went on a world trip and turned up a few days later.

Never trusted airlines with suitcases since!!!!!!!

If you want to know anything else please ask.

It really will be worth it you know.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

And which area in valencia did you stay. Its another real worry that I wont make any friends! Were your friends Spanish? Did your Spanish Improve a lot?

I am now thinking Valencia? So confusing
We lived in Malvarrosa which was near the uni.

I could walk there.

I love Valencia and you cant help but make friends and you will never feel on your own there.

And you are right by the beach too.

Dont think youd really need a car. Buses come along every 2 minutes.

Not sure which int. schools are there though.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

You could take a gamble with your oldest one and put them in the same school so they would still see eachother at break etc for support to begin with until they settle with new friends.

It is such a life changing experience for them and i guarantee theyd love it.

My daughter did so well - better than in the UK.

She was near the top of her class. She even learnt french and ended up speaking the words with a spanish accent.

We have nothing but fun memories. Nothing was ever bad.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 11:48 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You need to carry out a check for your healthcare. Like I said we used our E111 but that was a while ago now and things may have changed a little.

An E 106 may be needed for your stay but you are not resident there for the year and you will not have to go through all the hassle that residents do for healthcare.

Check with your uni and the DWP. They will advise you.

Good luck and i bet at the end you wont want to go back to the UK.

I remember phoning my mum the day before we were due to fly back and told her We were going to stay.

Money was tight. I could have taken on a couple of jobs but couldnt even wait to be paid so we returned and we told all our friends we would be back soon!!!!!!!!! - regardless of finishing my degree!!!!!!!!

Its going to be a real life experience for your children - do not worry about anything even though it may seem daunting to start with.

Take it from me - Ive done it.
You have to go to the local police station and register after 3 months, they now give you a Residencia Certificate and an NIE number.
I dont think a health card will cover them if they are living here for a year, they are just for emergency cover while you are on holiday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.