British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Should I hold my breath? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/should-i-hold-my-breath-869134/)

Ex-pat Dec 12th 2015 8:04 pm

Should I hold my breath?

I am aware that driving licence topics are not that interesting but...........
As I applied to exchange my UK licence back in August 2012, I was surprised to be informed by Trafico Alicante that they now request my original licence and green paper.
The next sentence was rather worrying, I can expect a "temporary" Spanish licence but should I not have the full licence within 3 months they will renew the temporary one.
Maybe I will have another wait of nearly 4 years?

snikpoh Dec 13th 2015 1:19 pm

Re: Should I hold my breath?

Yes, you always have to give your old licence in but you should point out to them that you may not have the green part as these are no longer valid or used.

You will then get a temporary licence - this is standard practice.

As for how long it takes or why it's taken so long for you - I guess they lost your file and have only just started to deal with it. For us it took just a few weeks.

Ex-pat Dec 13th 2015 2:39 pm

Well, my OH's licence came back within 4 weeks. Trafico showed me the fax that came back from DVLA (in 2012) that DVLA did NOT hold a licence from me. I contacted DVLA and they said YES, we have your licence. Since then I have done nothing but go up and down to Trafico and told them and showed the copies of the correspondence with DVLA and they just kept on telling me that DVLA did not have my licence. As I will be turning to that age where you MUST change your licence with medical evidence that you may drive, they seem to have worth it to take my money for a second time and DVLA seems to have found my licence according to Trafico. What a farce.

tony Dec 14th 2015 6:06 am

I am just doing mine , had to send 3 emails then eventually , last week handed in my Uk licence and counterpart

they gave me a temporary permission for 3 months and said my Spanish one should arrive by post within 2 months /// lets hope !

Ps did have to have the medical , age 49 on original application

Rosemary Dec 14th 2015 7:53 am

Originally Posted by tony (Post 11813784)
I am just doing mine , had to send 3 emails then eventually , last week handed in my Uk licence and counterpart

they gave me a temporary permission for 3 months and said my Spanish one should arrive by post within 2 months /// lets hope !

Ps did have to have the medical , age 49 on original application

What did your medical involve because it does vary from area to area from what I can gather.

We had to have medicals too but it only entailed BP, eye test and very short basic chat with the medic. Also a stupid machine to test your ability to steer.

Rosemary

Ex-pat Dec 14th 2015 8:30 am

@ Tony; I also had to have a medical on my original application and I had to have another one when they asked for my original UK licence. So I paid twice for that already and still no licence. :(

Casa Santo Estevo Dec 14th 2015 1:31 pm

With a temp licence did you know you cannot drive outside of Spain?

Ex-pat Dec 14th 2015 1:51 pm

Thanks for that bit of information.

tony Dec 14th 2015 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Rosemary (Post 11813830)
What did your medical involve because it does vary from area to area from what I can gather.

We had to have medicals too but it only entailed BP, eye test and very short basic chat with the medic. Also a stupid machine to test your ability to steer.

Rosemary

Hi Rosemary

yes sounds like the same ! , Got mine done opposite the trafico office in Alicante 40 €

tony Dec 14th 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Ex-pat (Post 11813851)
@ Tony; I also had to have a medical on my original application and I had to have another one when they asked for my original UK licence. So I paid twice for that already and still no licence. :(

Thats not good !

has your 3 month temporary paper run out yet ?

I did ask the guy in trafico what to do if the Spanish one didn't arrive in the promised 2 months , he said come back to the office , maybe they would extend the temp permission again ?

Just luv Spanish paperwork its so much fun ---------not ! :lol:

Ex-pat Dec 14th 2015 3:26 pm

I have only just received it. Hope it doesn't get that far.