Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Should I be entitled to a new phone

Should I be entitled to a new phone

Old May 19th 2014, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future
Default Should I be entitled to a new phone

I bought a phone from the Phonehouse last July. Phone worked fine until a few weeks ago then one of the ear phones stopped working so I couldn´t listen to music. I took it into the shop and they said as it had a two years guarantee they would sent it off. They said it would take four weeks and they would phone me to let me know when I could pick it up. Six weeks later still hadn´t heard anything so went into the shop on Friday and it was ready. The battery needed charging so I took it home. Once it was charged up I tried to put my SIM card in but the inside of the phone was damaged and I couldn´t use my phone at all. Also the back of the phone is now lose and wont stay on properley. I went straight back to the shop and they had a look at it. They said yes they could see it had been damaged and the assistant in the shop said they have probably had trainees working on it. I was not happy that trainees had been using my phone to practice on and had now wrecked it, surely there are plenty of old phone they can use to practice on. They said that they would sent it back. I asked for a receipt before I left my phone with them and they said no we can´t give you a receipt because we wont be sending it off until Monday. I decided that I would go back in on Monday (today) as I didn´t trust them to leave my phone without been given a receipt.

The more I think about it should I be entitled to a new phone after all my phone had one small problem when it was sent away and has come back damaged and now doesn´t work at all.

Do I go back into the shop and kick a fuss up but I know what they will say, we have to send it off. If it takes another six weeks before it comes back I will have had a phone that I have not been able to use for three months. Should I fill in the complaints book and see what happens after that.
What are your thoughts on this.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:28 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I be entitled to a new phone

I'd do all of the above, although you shouldn't have to in the first place. But unfortunately, that's often the norm - place the burden on the pesky customer, hoping they'll just "go away".
Old May 19th 2014, 12:32 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ask for a "hoja de reclamacion", that's usually enough to put them into a panic and get things sorted, if not just fill in the form. If they "claim" they don't have any forms tell them to find one before you call the police.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

caroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant futurecaroline c has a brilliant future

Hi Madridboy, Is the "hoja de reclamacion", the same thing as the complaints book. Knowing what customer service is like here especially with the phone companies I think we will be filling it in.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:30 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is, usually sorts problems out the second you ask for it.
Old May 19th 2014, 6:26 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

The problem is that these shops are franchised and don´t have a real interest (or the clout) to get things moving to a clients satisfaction. The best course of action is to ask for the complaints book as politely as possible and to state the facts only - no opinions. Doesn´t always work but can bring a little extra pressure to bear.

Davexf
Old May 20th 2014, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi went back to the shop yesterday. They couldn´t do anything as they said they are still waiting for a reply from Madrid. From telling me on Friday that it looks like they have had trainees working on it they are now saying it is our word against the technicians in Madrid, the technician is not going to say he wrecked the phone and then returned it like that is he. They said we would have to return to the shop again today to see if Madrid would agree to repair it. I told them I wanted a new phone or at least some compensation as if they do agree to repair it that will probably be another six weeks, so a total of three months with no phone. They said they could do nothing as the shop was a franchise, I asked him to phone someone who could do something and was given the blank face. I told them that if they refuse to repair it then we will be filling in the complaints book and he said fill it in it wont get you anywhere with Madrid and that it would be the shop who would be looked into. They don´t seem to get the point that I bought the phone from their shop and not Madrid. I can see why these companies get away with such crap customer service as I am sure most people just don´t bother complaining as it is like banging your head against a brick wall.
Old May 20th 2014, 7:51 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I really dislike phone shops (and the mobile phone business in general). Another business where offerings are "not cheap", profits are high, nobody has the burden of responsibility, and you're on your own if you need anything.

Having said that, it's better than it used to be in some ways. Years ago, I used to pay €60 per month for a pathetically misrepresented contract that always ended up costing over €100 per month, with a completely crap phone and absolutely zero customer service of any kind, with few other options and no way to get out of it if you ever found a better deal elsewhere.

Obviously the overall "character" hasn't changed much, but at least I don't pay €100 per month for a crap phone and lousy service anymore. Now the rates for lousy service are far cheaper.
Old May 20th 2014, 12:31 pm
Yaaarp

Go back to the shop and make an official complaint (make sure it's a real complaint form and not an "internal" customer report form) then go to Consum and make an official complaint with them.