Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Shotguns/hunting rifles

Shotguns/hunting rifles

Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shotguns/hunting rifles

Anyone know the regulations for obtaining these weapons in Spain? where do you buy them from in the Costa Blanca area?
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shotguns/hunting rifles

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Anyone know the regulations for obtaining these weapons in Spain? where do you buy them from in the Costa Blanca area?
You getting ready for Groosters arrival,
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
You getting ready for Groosters arrival,
Old Apr 4th 2008, 10:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Have a rough idea but not full in depth info,but here goes:

1;Apply at Civil Gaurd station for the relevant permit.Takes about 2 mths to get,(poss longer in expat case as criminal records have to be checked).

2;In order to hold private weapons in Spain,you have to be a member of a sport shooting club.The only req here is that you enter 3 competitions a year to justify holding the weapon.Doesnt matter if your any good or not.There is a national hunting organiation in Spain,but youll have to Google it.

3;If you wish to hold the weapon at home,the firing pin and rounds must be stored seperatly from the weapon and each other,and no more than 15 rounds can be kept at home.

Did look into this myself sometime ago,and found a good site with the full law on it,will try to find it again,and post a link.

Also forgot to mention; you will need to undergo strict medical & psychological tests.

In addition to this you are not allowed to own more than six hunting rifles or shotguns,and one handgun.

Last edited by lcortez; Apr 4th 2008 at 11:10 pm. Reason: forgot last two points.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you lcortez. I would only be looking for a .22 calibre hunting rifle, it seems many of the locals in my area have them and the track to my villa has the black and white diagonal signs warning of no shooting that you see along roads and paths.

I thought that when we move out fully it could be a good idea to join the local village guys on a sunday morning shoot every now and again, being in a rural hilly area there are plenty of opportunities.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

I would be carefull of following the example of the locals as many of those weapons are prob illegall!
Personally know of a couple of people who own these small caliber weapons (illegally),but its something that is being cracked down on now (along with others),as the "new Spain" grows up.

Just out of curiosity,a .22 caliber, I take it your looking at small game,Rabbits etc.Tried to shoot a Rabbit once,couldnt do it,just let it go
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

UPDATE TO FIRST REPLY.

With regard to hunting,you first have to get a hunting license from your Regional Gov (Granada,Andalucia etc),which you then take to the local police station,who will do the necc checks and issue your gun license.

The stipulation for gun club membership,physical and physcological testing relates to handguns,assault weapons etc.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 6:19 pm
Just Joined

Alba-gu-brath is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that you need to go on a two day course + exam all in spanish and have a psychiatric evaluation is this true
Old Apr 5th 2008, 7:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

90% of the local guys would never pass a psych test in my local village

They take great delight in firing air bombs into the air every couple of hours for no apparent reason for days on end. We thought it was to indicate some local fiesta, but not seen hide nor hare of one!

lcortez, it .22 would be a small calibre hunting rifle, but big enough to bring down something like a goat sized animal, it is not a 22 calibre air rifle which is a completely different weapon.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alba-gu-brath
I heard that you need to go on a two day course + exam all in spanish and have a psychiatric evaluation is this true
2day course is untrue,psych test is for handguns & asault weapons
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

90% of the local guys would never pass a psych test in my local village

They take great delight in firing air bombs into the air every couple of hours for no apparent reason for days on end. We thought it was to indicate some local fiesta, but not seen hide nor hare of one!

lcortez, it .22 would be a small calibre hunting rifle, but big enough to bring down something like a goat sized animal, it is not a 22 calibre air rifle which is a completely different weapon.
I know what a .22 is just used to larger caliber weapons,but good hunting anyway,some great ranges in Spain
Old Apr 7th 2008, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

I now have a Spanish shotgun and firearms license after a bit of rigmarole , I had to do a 4 day hunting course first and then applied for the licences, I did have both before in the UK which made it easier as I did not have to do the firearms training course, its not hard to get licensed if you speak a reasonable ammount of spanish otherwise its unlikley.

Air rifles as far as I know have to be registerd with your local town hall! and I`m pretty sure its illegal to hunt anything with them(and rightly so!) , anything bigger than an air rifle is via the Guardia Civil.

Its illegal to hunt game with .22 rimfire in Spain and a .22 rf is certainly not suitable for goats ,domestic or wild!.

Rgds

Rotor
Old Apr 7th 2008, 9:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Absoloutly agree re the suitability of a .22,just didnt feel like arguing about it.
To shoot a goat with a .22 would be nothing short of cruel,and just cause a lot of uneccessary suffering to the animal!
Isnt a .22 a little small for an adult?

PS Do you have a link to a sit where I can download an authoritative statemnt of the necc procedure?.cant sem to find the one I found before.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

"Isnt a .22 a little small for an adult?"

If you mean .22 rimfire, Definatley not ,they are ideal for target shooting and plinking, they are no toy, many of the ammunition boxes warn that the bullet can tavel upto 1.5 miles!,Mosad also seem to like .22 for assinations!!

I dont know of any sites on how to apply for a spanish FAC but all you need to do is go to your local Guardia Civil and they will direct you to your nearest firearms admin office , expect tp wait 2-4 months befor you get your certificate.

Rgds
Old Apr 8th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Can't quite seem to place the Rimfire ignition system, is that where the firing pin strikes the outside perimater of the base of the cartridge as oppossed to the concave dimple in the center of the cartridge base as in the more common centerfire cartridge?

If it is then unfortunatly I have to say I think its a kids gun (not meaning to be argumentative), and entirely unsuitable for anything larger than a rabbit.
If the OP hopes to shoot larger game,such as the mentioned goats etc,then a step up in firepower is needed.

Seem to remember a friend had a .22 Winchester when I was at school in the US,we used to use it to shoot rats,pigeons etc, not sure if it used Rimfire cartridges, but do remember they were dirt cheap, abour $7,for 500

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.