Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Shipping via Barcelona?

Shipping via Barcelona?

Old Jun 28th 2018, 6:30 am
Just Joined

RuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant future
Default Shipping via Barcelona?

Hi there, me again.
I am looking into shipping from Vancouver, Canada to Ayamonte. The only recent thread, from February doesn't give me the information I'm seeking so hoping someone can chip in. My shipping company have yet to give me a quote because they said Ayamonte is in a remote location and it's taking them some time to figure out. They suggest they will ship to Barcelona and I will have to pick up from there. They are also going to see if they can cost out shipping from Barcelona to Ayamonte.

In the meantime, I told them that there are shippers doing weekly drop offs in Ayamonte from the UK. The February thread mentions two shippers in the UK who ship to Ayamonte, however, there didn't seem to be consensus about which might be the better company...or maybe that's because they are both OK (even though some mention issues with both?)

I'm wondering if my shipping company would be better shipping to the UK and then having one of these companies pick up and do the Spain run.
Are either of the two companies mentioned lose to a major shipping port, or are they like local movers who also do Euro runs?

I'm not shipping that much, no furniture, but some clothes, a wood lathe or two, lathe tools and supplies and some kitchen ware. I'd like to keep the costs as low as possible for obvious reasons but I also don't know how difficult, or easy, it will be to do my own pickup in Barcelona. If it's not cost prohibitive I'd rather go via the UK.

Any tips?
As always, thanks.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Shipping via Barcelona?

when we migrated to Australia from the UK and later back to the UK we used; Seven Seas Shipping with good results and they were flexible
Old Jun 28th 2018, 6:44 am
Just Joined

RuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant futureRuthH has a brilliant future

Thanks bitmanev. Not sure how that will help me as I'm coming from Canada and not stopping in the UK, but I will have a look at them ad pass their info to my shipper.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

limey610 is on a distinguished road

I am looking to bring some items from Miami and it is easy to get quotes to Seville. Maybe you should try that as an end destination and then organize a local transport company or a locally hired van to collect.

Going via UK will present Customs issues as although part of EU you would still need to declare end destination as Spain and clear in UK under a bond to further transport to end clearance in Spain.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

I think you should also try Huelva port which is even nearer to Ayamonte. There are many nearer places than Barcelona with container ports. My thinking is to get to Barcelona a container ship would pass the coast of Andalucia with many huge ports. Perhaps if your not bringing very much they are talking of Air freight? In which case it may well be Barcelona or Madrid.
Old Jun 28th 2018, 3:19 pm
Just Joined

elaleman is an unknown quantity at this point

We use allways Sevilla - and when that is not posible Lisbon - that should be cheaper then Barcelona . .
And then there is the biggest Port in Spain - Algeciras . . much closer to Ayamonte then Barcelona . .

Good Luck
Old Jun 28th 2018, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

THANK YOU everyone. I'm going to send this info to my shipper. Very much appreciated.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would have thought that Lisbon as the biggest container port in Portugal and nearest to Ayamonte would be a good destination. Onward transhipment by road (or rail to Faro) should be pretty straightforward.
Old Jun 29th 2018, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

Setubal comes to mind when talking about Portugal
Old Jul 2nd 2018, 8:41 am
Just Joined

elaleman is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes . . with Lisbon works really good . .
And its cheaper to bring it from Lisboa to Ayamonte then from Algeciras - and also cheaper to ship container to Lisboa . .

Good luck . .