Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

Old Jun 13th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Default SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

All,
I have many items I wish to ship from outside the EU into Spain - where I live. I have already paid State tax on all items, of course, and all items are well over 1-2 year old.

Items such as PS3, DVD's, HD TV etc etc.
I'm not interested in replies stating the 110v/220v/50hz/60hz difference, I got this and understand.
-
I called Fed-Ex USA to find out if there is a form I should fill out prior to shipping, as I know that before they get to my home destination Fed-Ex will hold all items in somewhere like Madrid prior to me paying "TAX"..
Fed-Ex says there is no form and they don't get involved in TAX questions..

Has anyone out there shipped from outside the EU into Spain, even using Fed-Ex, and had a good or bad outcome ?

Your previous experiences would help me a great deal in the long run.
Thanks in Advance;

DSB.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:18 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SHIPPING TAX, FROM USA into SPAIN

These links might help

http://www.france-spain.com/legalspain/importing.asp
http://www.andalucia.com/living/movi...ossessions.htm
http://www.aerointel.com/CustomsDocuments/spain.pdf
http://www.anglopacific.co.uk/customguides/spain.pdf
Old Jun 13th 2009, 1:26 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thats strange, because Fedex normally want to take control of the shipments so they dont get held up. In fact its not unusual for courier companies in general to just clear goods and then present you with a bill after the event, but before delivery. I have had goods (camera) shipped from the US before and experienced this.

Ive got to say, I'd pop into a local Fedex Office if I were you because that doesnt sound right to me. Theres always a cusoms declaration form to be filled in when shipping via courier, and its normally part of the despatch note.

Will you be here when the effects arrive? Why dont you just send it airfreight ... worth getting as quote, as it may be cheaper in view of the TV

http://www.transglobalexpress.co.uk/
Old Jun 14th 2009, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Fred & Mitzy - Thanks for the information supplied.
Interesting about having the contents listed in Spanish.

I will carry out an inventory of my items, to include serial numbers & my costinga - and all in Spanish + English - FUN..

Cheers;
DSB.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bealerDSB
All,
I have many items I wish to ship from outside the EU into Spain - where I live. I have already paid State tax on all items, of course, and all items are well over 1-2 year old.

Items such as PS3, DVD's, HD TV etc etc.
I'm not interested in replies stating the 110v/220v/50hz/60hz difference, I got this and understand.
-
I called Fed-Ex USA to find out if there is a form I should fill out prior to shipping, as I know that before they get to my home destination Fed-Ex will hold all items in somewhere like Madrid prior to me paying "TAX"..
Fed-Ex says there is no form and they don't get involved in TAX questions..

Has anyone out there shipped from outside the EU into Spain, even using Fed-Ex, and had a good or bad outcome ?

Your previous experiences would help me a great deal in the long run.
Thanks in Advance;

DSB.
I have had items sent from the USA to my home in Fuengirola, not electrical but many books and a few other items. Customs at Madrid tend to have caused delay on delivery but for not much more than a day or at most 2 and then I have paid the tax to FedEx on delivery, a customs document has been supplied on delivery by FedEx with the amount and rate etc.

HTH
Old Jun 15th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Econ
and then I have paid the tax to FedEx on delivery
How was the TAX worked out ?
Based on a % of your valuation prior to shipping ?

IE: What you valued / insured the shipment for ?

Looking forward to your reply,
Thanks;

DSB
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:22 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks;

DSB
As I said elsewhere, if you want to get tax rates in Spain you will need to contact the Spanish Consul. Again, as I said, theres a very good chance you wont pay anything as they are all used personal effects. If it were taxable, the rates would be based on the value of the goods you declared on the Fedex declaration, plus freight, plus insurance., and then the IVA would be worked out on all the above plus the duty figure
Old Jun 15th 2009, 6:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As I said elsewhere, as I said
I was just waiting on Econ's Reply is all

Cheers
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks;

DSB
If I remember correctly the first time there was nothing to pay then VAT was added to the next deliveries, I remember it seemed a bit hit and miss as to how it was calculated as some seemed high and some low to what the value was... I guess it depends on how the customs officer on duty interprets how he should be calculating the amounts.

Last edited by Econ; Jun 15th 2009 at 7:44 am.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Econ
If I remember correctly there the first time there was nothing to pay then VAT was added to the next deliveries, I remember it seemed a bit hit and miss as to how it was calculated as some seemed high and some low to what the value was... I guess it depends on how the customs officer on duty interprets how he should be calculating the amounts.
Interesting.
So it's up to them kind of..

Well I'm gonna put down what it's worth at present value..
I'd like to see them try and say it would be worth more...

OMG - are they like the thought Police of summin - geees.

Thanks so much to all for replying - will suck it and see..

DSB.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 7:25 am
Senior Moment

Yes, but on the customs declaration you need to put this:

Value for Customs only: $ ..........
Personal effects, of no commercial value

and in Spanish if possible

Interesting.
So it's up to them kind of..

Well I'm gonna put down what it's worth at present value..
I'd like to see them try and say it would be worth more...

OMG - are they like the thought Police of summin - geees.

Thanks so much to all for replying - will suck it and see..

DSB.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes, but on the customs declaration you need to put this:

Value for Customs only: $ ..........
Personal effects, of no commercial value

and in Spanish if possible
MITZY,
Very good call !!
I will do that also - Great Info.

Thanks;
DSB.
Old Jun 15th 2009, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Friend of mine came back to UK after a tour in Saudi. Before he came back he went to Thailand and stocked up on replica clothing.

Duly declared them and had HM Customs rep come round to see him open his crates, Customs rep said this is going to cost you a fortune and started writing down their UK value. He turned white and said "Wish I had never been to Thailand". Custom rep said " Why the hell didn't you say so on your declaration would have saved me a trip as they have no real value so the duty is miniscule" and tore up his paperwork. End of assessment.

Jim
Old Jun 16th 2009, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
and tore up his paperwork. End of assessment.
I wish....

Thanks again for the updates

DSB.
Old Jun 16th 2009, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

You should not be charged anything if its a small personal import ,if you use a business name in the delivery address you will usually have to pay VAT and import duty.

Rgds

Rotor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.