Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Shipping personal goods to Spain

Shipping personal goods to Spain

Old Apr 11th 2021, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

Alfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond reputeAlfonsocolli has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping personal goods to Spain

Originally Posted by DLC
I also posted a checklist above which a removal company from the US to Spain wants. I guess they don't ask you for this information just for the fun of it, so it might be a good idea if you are able to offer the same information to customs if they ask you for it.

Anyway, good luck and maybe you can post back saying how it's done afterwards.
The above was from your original post Dlc
​​​​​​
Old Apr 11th 2021, 12:07 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre

My last observation is the quality items I am taking to Spain, dining tables, rugs, light fittings, beds etc are still going to be far cheaper than buying in Spain, I have a cut off level of 600 euros. Ie if it costs me more than that for a well packed van full of carefully bought furniture etc then I’m better off buying the stuff in Spain. I would probably advise people not to bother taking your own stuff out unless like my stuff you would not be able to economically buy it out there.

regards
al
It will certainly cost more than 600 euros to hire a van, fuel and ferry.

That was not my experience. For example, I was able to find Ekornes furniture in Spain advertised similar list price as in UK. I bought it cheaper as it was on sale.

Last edited by missile; Apr 11th 2021 at 12:15 pm.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just for clarification purposes I am talking costs up and over my usual transportation costs, I own my own van...I drive it myself.........the ferry usually costs between 220 and 400 one way, I do it with just over 2 tanks of fuel.

There are incidental costs such as overnight stays if you have a bad ferry arrival time (best to get there at 8am).

if the total cost of the extra costs such as vat, paperwork compilation, eori numbers, preparing a blood sample etc come to more than £600 then the whole concept of fitting out a property from U.K. bargains is looking dodgy to say the least

regards
al
Old Apr 11th 2021, 3:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Hi
Just for clarification purposes I am talking costs up and over my usual transportation costs, I own my own van...I drive it myself.........the ferry usually costs between 220 and 400 one way, I do it with just over 2 tanks of fuel.

There are incidental costs such as overnight stays if you have a bad ferry arrival time (best to get there at 8am).

if the total cost of the extra costs such as vat, paperwork compilation, eori numbers, preparing a blood sample etc come to more than £600 then the whole concept of fitting out a property from U.K. bargains is looking dodgy to say the least

regards
al
To be honest I would not bother with large furniture as almost every place we looked at came with a fair amount already.

Beds are a different size (they tend to be bigger in at least one dimension) So your linen might not fit. (then there is the extra cost of buying new) Price comparison UK pocket sprung £150 ES. €165 So with exchange rates the same price (its the same firm I opened the .Uk site and the .ES site) Add in the cost to get it to Spain and the UK one is more expensive.
White goods are heavy and not worth it either as the electrical consumption is higher in the Uk than Spanish versions, kettles have lower ratings and of course anything you transport new will attract VAT and import duties. Also no guarantees anymore if anything breaks.
There are loads of second hand furniture shops and charity places that will deliver for free as well.
We only ended up bringing personal items and clothing, music system (yes a record player) and books etc.
Im not telling you not to do this, you just have to remember we are now living in an online world.

Now the Uk is out of the EU. If you can't prove you have owned the goods for 6 months, the customs people will charge you. They may not but is it worth the hassle?

Again my 2c.
Old Apr 11th 2021, 4:05 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Barriej
To be honest I would not bother with large furniture as almost every place we looked at came with a fair amount already.

Beds are a different size (they tend to be bigger in at least one dimension) So your linen might not fit. (then there is the extra cost of buying new) Price comparison UK pocket sprung £150 ES. €165 So with exchange rates the same price (its the same firm I opened the .Uk site and the .ES site) Add in the cost to get it to Spain and the UK one is more expensive.
White goods are heavy and not worth it either as the electrical consumption is higher in the Uk than Spanish versions, kettles have lower ratings and of course anything you transport new will attract VAT and import duties. Also no guarantees anymore if anything breaks.
There are loads of second hand furniture shops and charity places that will deliver for free as well.
We only ended up bringing personal items and clothing, music system (yes a record player) and books etc.
Im not telling you not to do this, you just have to remember we are now living in an online world.

Now the Uk is out of the EU. If you can't prove you have owned the goods for 6 months, the customs people will charge you. They may not but is it worth the hassle?

Again my 2c.

That would very much depend on where a person decides to settle because not everywhere has second hand shops and charity shops.

Rosemary