Reload this Page >

Sharm El Sheikh to Javea

Sharm El Sheikh to Javea

Old Oct 3rd 2008, 11:46 am
Just Joined

penso is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sharm El Sheikh to Javea

Hi

Info and help needed please. Husband and I retired two years' ago and emigrated to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Despite our best efforts, the cultural divide is just too great and the place just too small so we are moving on.

Spain, and in particular Javea, is currently top of our list. We won't be buying, just renting a villa long term, and won't need to work. We are looking to be amongst other retired Brits, with social activities, shops, restaurants nearby and where it isn't too cold, wet and deserted in the winter. And fairly close to an airport for trips back to the UK.

Are we on the right track? If anyone can give us a few pointers, tips, advice we'd be very grateful. We plan to spend a month renting a friend's apartment in Elche in November/December to have a look around for ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

Penso
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 12:01 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sharm El Sheikh to Javea

Originally Posted by penso
Hi

Info and help needed please. Husband and I retired two years' ago and emigrated to Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Despite our best efforts, the cultural divide is just too great and the place just too small so we are moving on.

Spain, and in particular Javea, is currently top of our list. We won't be buying, just renting a villa long term, and won't need to work. We are looking to be amongst other retired Brits, with social activities, shops, restaurants nearby and where it isn't too cold, wet and deserted in the winter. And fairly close to an airport for trips back to the UK.

Are we on the right track? If anyone can give us a few pointers, tips, advice we'd be very grateful. We plan to spend a month renting a friend's apartment in Elche in November/December to have a look around for ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

Penso

in your enviable position you are totally on the right track

Javea ticks all your boxes - although it can be pretty wet in the winter - and it depends what you call cold

I reckon it's cold - but it rarely drops below 10 C
Old Oct 6th 2008, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

coansha is an unknown quantity at this point

Lovely area, do not discount Moraira & Denia, its neighbours. I would definatley rent as houses are not selling (as elsewhere in the world) there are 100's of estate agents in Javea and lots online.
Do you want a house or apartment? A visit to get your bearings would be advantageous.
http://www.costablanca-news.com/ this is the local British tabloid so check it out online.
Javea has some lovely restaurants and a great promenade to walk into the old town at night. Being pretty central to Alicante & Valencia you have 2 beautiful cities to visit within 1 1/2 hrs drive away and an airport within the hour.
Be aware as a new comer most people will tell you they are a builder, tiler, electrcian, check out there work, they may well be but make some friends and go with word of mouth.
Lots of luck, enjoy it.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

penso is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. Fortunately my husband was in construction for 40 years and we'll be coming over with just about every tool known to man or beast. Over here he's known as Mr B&Q and is in constant demand for his d-i-y skills.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant futureSarleon has a brilliant future

I lived in Hurghada (Egypt) for one year - the culture is extremely different from ours and I certainly couldn't imagine retiring to Egypt . I was 26 when I lived there, (a PADI divemaster) and that was difficult enough!

Spain is a much easier culture to live in, very relaxing and you will find the heat here in the summer much easier to tolerate! Good luck with your move!