Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

sewage treatment - biorock

sewage treatment - biorock

Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice
Default sewage treatment - biorock

Has anyone installed one of these?

http://www.biorock.com/

Here in Chiclana most of the houses in the ´suburbs´have entirely illegal cesspits - basically block built chambers in the ground. What happens is that they fill up after a number of years and then have to be broken into (yes, they are closed chambers until the inevitable full up signs appear i.e. smell, slow flushes etc), then they are evacuated by a chap with a big hose and a type of slurry tank who takes it away.

Because the surrounding soil is saturated by this stage the cesspits fill up at an alarming rate, necessitating regular and expensive emptying. Many folk use submersible pumps which they use to drain the top water from the cesspits which is discharged onto their gardens or, in many cases, onto the street, especially on rainy days when it is washed down the street as evidenced by the smell. My neighbour whose plot is entirely covered in cement/tiles does it regularly. I used to think this was terrible behaviour until my own cesspit filled up and had to be emptied. I have resorted to the submersible pump and do discharge the dirty (vile) top water onto my garden.

So, to cut a long story short - I´m sick of it. Because of ´la crisis´ our chances of being urbanised are laughably low. I want to install a sewage system that is efficient and clean. I´ve done huge amounts of research and talked to various experts and the biorock system, while not cheap, seems like a good system. Though it´s not cheap it seems to do the job.

I´m not looking for advice on septic tanks, sewage disposal - I´m already pretty expert on the whole subject - I AM looking for anyone with specific experience of the biorock system.

Sweet smelling dreams!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 7:19 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: sewage treatment - biorock

Hi Dairymaid,
No never heard of them, but note their advert says no electrictity but later says there is a solar powered option!

I also live in Chiclana and have a septic tank which has never been emptied since the house was built as the water table is some 5 metres below the ground. However I do sympathise with your plight; I know of properties in similar state to yours where every winter the septic tank fills.

Davexf
Old Oct 27th 2012, 7:47 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my god, glad I don't have that problem.

Good luck
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:02 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, we're not on mains sewerage as we are up a mountainside. All the houses here have a block sewerage system similar to yours, but they have two opening points on the top which are sealed. This is what I think is called a biological system, and the sewerage in effect gets completely broken down by bacteria. We place a small sachet of biological activator in the toilet once a week, and the net result is no smells, no hassle, and we haven't had it emptied in the 8 years the house has been built.

On the "down" side, its not a good idea to put strong chemicals down the system or fats, paint etc. Anything really that might destroy bacteria or upset the balance down there.

I wish I knew what they were called, maybe someone here does.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

While it may work it is completely illegal!!
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:45 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dairymaid
While it may work it is completely illegal!!
Oh, sorry for trying to help.

If it's illegal then it is approved and authorised by the town hall, the planning authorities and everyone else, so thats very strange isnt it.

Isn't Chiclana completely illegal btw?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help.

So, does anyone have a biorock system installed?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:48 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by dairymaid
Thanks for your help.

So, does anyone have a biorock system installed?
What I was trying to get over to you was that I think you'll find that the system used extensively (at least in these parts) is the system I described to you. As you are apparently an expert in the subject, I thought you would have known. It's recognised, quite legal, and is worth looking at ...... but good luck with your search anyway..........
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:55 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
What I was trying to get over to you was that I think you'll find that the system used extensively (at least in these parts) is the system I described to you. As you are apparently an expert in the subject, I thought you would have known. It's recognised, quite legal, and is worth looking at ...... but good luck with your search anyway..........
it's used a lot around here too - most of the houses outside town have this system - we used to have to use those sachets in a house we used to rent - if it's illegal how come you can buy the sachets in the supermarket.............

maybe just the fact that theirs is sealed is the 'illegal' bit?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:13 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by lynnxa
it's used a lot around here too - most of the houses outside town have this system - we used to have to use those sachets in a house we used to rent - if it's illegal how come you can buy the sachets in the supermarket.............

maybe just the fact that theirs is sealed is the 'illegal' bit?
No ..... she's an expert

Having looked at the link provided it looks like quite an impressive kit, but I'm guessing its not cheap also and therefore many would go for the cheaper option.

When I got up this morning I never thought I would be talking crap by lunchtime (again)
Old Oct 27th 2012, 11:23 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
No ..... she's an expert

Having looked at the link provided it looks like quite an impressive kit, but I'm guessing its not cheap also and therefore many would go for the cheaper option.

When I got up this morning I never thought I would be talking crap by lunchtime (again)
it doesn't usually take you that long.....

Old Oct 27th 2012, 7:38 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

BACK ON THREAD

No it is not illegal; but it would be illegal to build a system like it now as the law has been changed. It is not a retrospective law, so my septic tank is "legal" but can not be altered in any way. Of course as with so many things, in theory my well is illegal and I should have applied for planning permission to build the house etc etc.

These days one needs a three partition system if memory serves; certainly you can see one with a cut away side locally in Vipren builders merchants in Chiclana.

Davexf
Old Oct 27th 2012, 8:50 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I hope the well is upstream from the septic tank?
Old Oct 27th 2012, 9:06 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hola

Luckily I have a plot about 1,500 metres (70+ by 20+) and the well and septic tank are 40 metres apart. However, my septic tank to next doors borehole is only 25 metres! So one has to consider the neighbours when designing these things!!!

Davexf
Old Oct 27th 2012, 10:28 pm
Started off with nothing

You may find these reports of interest?

www.doeni.gov.uk/niea/privatewatersuppliesleaflet.pdf

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b..._and_dams?open

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.