Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Setting up new family business

Setting up new family business

Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

skippernicky is on a distinguished road
Default Setting up new family business

Has anyone any experience (or advice) on setting up a business with family.
Along with my Wife, Son and partner we will be setting up a bar later this year.
I have been advised the best approach would be for me to register the business in my name, Pay full Ni Contribution (230 Euros p.m). Employ the other 3 on contracts, wherebye they pay N.I contributions pro-rata to their salaries, And I pay business tax on the profits.
Would this mean that I am classed as self employed and as such I can dispose of any profits after tax as i deem fit?
If this is not apprpriate or correct I would welcome any advise you may have.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 12:27 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Setting up new family business

Originally Posted by skippernicky
Along with my Wife, Son and partner...
Won't your wife find out?

Seriously, good luck though.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 3:57 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Along with my Wife, Son and partner we will be setting up a bar later this year.
I have been advised the best approach would be for me to register the business in my name, Pay full Ni Contribution (230 Euros p.m). Employ the other 3 on contracts, wherebye they pay N.I contributions pro-rata to their salaries, And I pay business tax on the profits.
Would this mean that I am classed as self employed and as such I can dispose of any profits after tax as i deem fit?
Where are you planning?
Old Mar 24th 2007, 5:54 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

As an employer, you would be responsible for the bulk of your employees' national insurance payments, whether they're on a contract or fixed term employment.
A gestoria/asesor fiscal will be able to advise you on the most tax efficient way of operating such a family business.
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

We were told by our Gestoria to only put the business in my husband's name as I would be covered by his NI contribution. I think as previously said you will need to discuss with your Gestoria.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Gestoria is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SueG
We were told by our Gestoria to only put the business in my husband's name as I would be covered by his NI contribution. I think as previously said you will need to discuss with your Gestoria.
Hello SueG the advice from your gestor is correct so long as you don't actually work in the business. If you do any activity within the business you should be registered with the INEM and social security.
Old Mar 28th 2007, 6:11 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
As an employer, you would be responsible for the bulk of your employees' national insurance payments, whether they're on a contract or fixed term employment.
A gestoria/asesor fiscal will be able to advise you on the most tax efficient way of operating such a family business.
Yup in addition to the salary you will have to pay around 30% in social security payments, two extra months salary usually July and December, 30 days paid holiday and 14 days public holiday per year. I have a book here has a whole section on setting up a business in Spain pm me if you want the details