Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Service Stations - keep your car in sight

Service Stations - keep your car in sight

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:26 pm
tempisfugit

Unhappy Service Stations - keep your car in sight

Friend driving from Germany to Spain got scammed on the motorway near Valencia last week...He'd parked his car and went to get a bite to eat at service station. Somebody punctured his tyre which caused him to have to pull over within a few minutes of re-starting his journey. A car containing two "mechanics" just happened to pass by and stop to help him....

They distracted him by telling him to erect his warning triangle away from the car...His bag was hidden under his driving seat but they knew where to look. Passport, cards, money, the whole shebang was stolen....

So, please keep an eye on your vehicle, if possible. Too many people are being scammed in Spain and the police are useless...

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice
Default Re: Service Stations - keep your car in sight

Originally Posted by tempisfugit
Friend driving from Germany to Spain got scammed on the motorway near Valencia last week...He'd parked his car and went to get a bite to eat at service station. Somebody punctured his tyre which caused him to have to pull over within a few minutes of re-starting his journey. A car containing two "mechanics" just happened to pass by and stop to help him....

They distracted him by telling him to erect his warning triangle away from the car...His bag was hidden under his driving seat but they knew where to look. Passport, cards, money, the whole shebang was stolen....

So, please keep an eye on your vehicle, if possible. Too many people are being scammed in Spain and the police are useless...
I first visited Spain as a driver in 1985 (old git I know) It was my first time driving in Espana, so with out any internet at that time I asked the AA for advise.

This is what they said.

Do not stop for anyone who flags you down, pointing as though something was wrong with the car. (They are probably thieves).

Be very careful of any person whom just stops and tries to make conversation in the street or shops. (They are probably thieves).

What as changed?

How many people go to London, Manchester or Birmingham with all the goodies you will have on you person, like just having arrived on an holiday.

Why you have to blame the police for this I don't know? Please explain are they supposed to be everywhere? Why didn’t your friend ask these mechanics to go and place the warning triangle!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

avocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud ofavocados has much to be proud of

Similar incident happened to me 2 years, in Valencia also.

I mention it because it was not a service station, but a set of traffic lights, surrounded by loads of other cars (nobody helped, of course).

Luckily for me, I remained locked in my car and did not confront the assailant. I smiled actually, as I knew what was going on. The person just walked off carrying a huge weapon. I just got to a safe area in a car park and did nothing until I could find security, who were very helpful and understanding (despite language barriers).

I was also approached by "mechanics" told em to F off. While finding security, they did another tyre.

It all ended well, but not a nice welcome to Spain.

BE AWARE.
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by tempisfugit

Some of you may know that we intend to be Canada bound, but if that does not happen we have been considering Spain as an alternative. From reading some of these threads and other reports I am getting quite concerned about the rising crime in Spain. Is it really as bad as it appears? If so, is the crime confined mainly to certain regions, or is it all along the coast. If we were to move to Spain, we would like to live well inland, away from the coast for various reasons. Generally, is inland Spain affected as much by this crime wave?

Who, predominently are the perpetrators of these crimes, is the Spanish, the Brits, Eastern Europeans or North Africans?

Thanks

Graham
Old May 3rd 2005, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

I live in inland Spain a place called Sax there is hardly any crime here there is the odd drunken prank but nothing to get too upset about. The Costas are the worst hit for crime as there is quite a lot of expats there. the gangs are not mainly Spanish but from all over eastern europe.

The Town of Sax

You can read about Sax in the3 above link or view my page
Vinalopo News
Which is written for the English speaking community based here in Sax I am still compiling the information and the site gets updated often.
Good luck on your move to Spain if you decide to move over here.
Old May 4th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by countryboy
I live in inland Spain a place called Sax there is hardly any crime here there is the odd drunken prank but nothing to get too upset about. The Costas are the worst hit for crime as there is quite a lot of expats there. the gangs are not mainly Spanish but from all over eastern europe.

The Town of Sax

You can read about Sax in the3 above link or view my page
Vinalopo News
Which is written for the English speaking community based here in Sax I am still compiling the information and the site gets updated often.
Good luck on your move to Spain if you decide to move over here.
Hi Countryboy

Thanks for your reply. Sax has been mentioned to me a few times from various sources as a place to look at. Will certainly give it due consideration if we are unsuccessful with our application for Canada. My wife definitely prefers Canada, mainly because of the common language and the fact that her sister lives there, but would consider Spain as a second choice. As for me I would be equally happy living in rural Spain, as the culture difference and language learning would be a welcome challenge, as would be the warmer winters.

We have a 13 year old daughter and was hoping to put her into an International school as I think it would be unfair to put her through the Spanish educational system at such a late stage in her schooling. Can you recommend a good International school in the area?

Regards

Graham

Last edited by Gray C; May 4th 2005 at 11:46 am.
Old May 4th 2005, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Hi Graham,
This link has a list of schools that cater for the English Speaking community and Bi-Lingual persons, My two daughters have both been through the Spanish system and have had a massive learning curve, but both speak Spanish read and write,they came to Spain when they were 13 and 14 and it was hard for the first seven months but both survived. (thank goodness) the oldest one is now making an application to join the British Army in September 05 but has to go back to the UK. Well I hope this helps with your quest.

Schooling in Spain

David SR