Septic tanks

Old Dec 22nd 2012, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

VivaJavea is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Septic tanks

Hi there,
I am moving to a place that has a septic tank(well a non accessible concrete covered pit about 15 years old)
I suspect I am going to have to have a new one.
Any advice really welcome, especially the most cost efficient way of doing this.
Thanks
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Septic tanks

Cesspit or septic tank ? There is a difference. Loads of info on internet. Fot nearly 15 years my main residence was a village house with the "long drop"

Last edited by scot47; Dec 22nd 2012 at 7:10 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 6:47 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

If the septic tank works - then don´t worry unduly. When they become troublesome, it costs about 100€ to have them emptied. But your tank may not have a hatch - I recently had one put into mine whilst the builders were attaching another pipe from a new outside toilet.

The old style concrete tank is now illegal to build and you must put in one of the new fangled three partion ones - but yours may well outlast you !!! Septic tanks by the way are measured in "man years" - mine being a thirty man year tank will last me for thirty years, a couple for 15 years, and a family of four for 7 1/2 years. The modern ones need to be emptied more frequently than mine which is about three metres by three metres by two metres deep.

What a lovely Christmas topic

Davexf
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 6:56 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

DKF said it ..leave it alone.. if its not broken dont fix it.. if it needs emptyed cut small hole in it for tanker man to get pipe into.
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies,
I've checked out Internet for info, but as the previous owner only used the place at weekends and had no washing machine I don't know if this will last for full time living,and as it is located close to house I don't want to renovate place and then have to cut hole for emptying. I thought to leave it and get one of the 3 tank jobbies.
Just want an idea of costs and what I can do myself ( hire a digger and do prep work)
This is a lovely festive topic I know!
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Are septic tanks widely used in Spain?

How often and how much does it cost to empty?

Would the concept of free removal be of interest?

In Kenya its about $90 US and is done every 3 to 4 months. Most of the new apartments have them rather than connect to a dysfunct sewerage system.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

Originally Posted by VivaJavea
Thanks for your replies,
I've checked out Internet for info, but as the previous owner only used the place at weekends and had no washing machine I don't know if this will last for full time living,and as it is located close to house I don't want to renovate place and then have to cut hole for emptying. I thought to leave it and get one of the 3 tank jobbies.
Just want an idea of costs and what I can do myself ( hire a digger and do prep work)
This is a lovely festive topic I know!
Friends of ours replaced their tank with one of those 3 tank jobbies (lovely term that is considering the purpose) The actual tank cost about 800 euros, but the instalation brought that up to nearer 2000. You could do some prep work beforehand, but you will have to consult with the installers first (position, pipe run, "soak away", access, depth etc).

A badly installed tank can give you nightmares. If the pipe run is too steep, then the water will run away and leave solids behind, choking the drain.Position the soak away in the wrong place and in summer the smell could be nasty or turn a neighbours garden into a foul smelling swamp or contanimate a well supply.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 7:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that, just what I needed to know
Have a great Xmas to one and all
All I want for Xmas is a septic tank!
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 11:25 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Vivajavea,

Why would you want to change a working septic tank? All you need to do is to ensure there is a hatch for emptying and the septic tank will last you the rest of your life. And maybe not need emptying in that time.

New 3 chamber tanks are in my experience four man year tanks, meaning one person empties every four years, a couple every two years, and a family every year.

Unless you are being forced to change it, I would leave well alone

Davexf
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi Vivajavea,

Why would you want to change a working septic tank? All you need to do is to ensure there is a hatch for emptying and the septic tank will last you the rest of your life. And maybe not need emptying in that time.

New 3 chamber tanks are in my experience four man year tanks, meaning one person empties every four years, a couple every two years, and a family every year.

Unless you are being forced to change it, I would leave well alone

Davexf
We have had our tank emptied after 6 years (family of 5). It was emptied by a local farmer who charged 50 euros - who then dumped the lot on their field next to our house.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 4:20 pm
Im a 77 year old nutcase

tommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond reputetommy.irene has a reputation beyond repute

We have had our tank emptied after 6 years (family of 5). It was emptied by a local farmer who charged 50 euros - who then dumped the lot on their field next to our house.[/QUOTE]Ha ha that should make the spuds grow..
Old Dec 24th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

If it has not got a hatch then it maybe a pozo negro which seeps the water out of holes in the side in which case do not touch it as the solids are biodegraded at the bottom, we moved into a house with one that has been in for over 15 years we have now been here 4 years and have no problems despite being a family of four and over the summer months usually 8 of us.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flotsum
If it has not got a hatch then it maybe a pozo negro which seeps the water out of holes in the side in which case do not touch it as the solids are biodegraded at the bottom, we moved into a house with one that has been in for over 15 years we have now been here 4 years and have no problems despite being a family of four and over the summer months usually 8 of us.
The problem with this sort (we have one ourselves) is that the holes in the side become clogged over time. It's then very hard (impossible) to clear them. Once this happens the tank will need emptying more and more frequently.

We were advised to add a submersible pump on a timer and float switch. This pumps the 'water' over night as and when required across our fields - one benefit of living in the campo with no neighbours
Old Dec 25th 2012, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Yes they can become clogged over time, you can just pump the water off or
build a new one close by and let blocked one overflow into it.

Generally I have not found them a problem, we have been in our place 9 years and only had it emptied once !

Tony
Old Jan 8th 2013, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Diggerjohn55 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are thinking of changing it, then you are wasting your money on a new septic tank.
My friends live in Spain and I was called to replace their posso negro as it had been condemmed under the EU Wastewater Dirctive regulations which Spain is going to have to adopt in all regions sooner or later
Buy a sewage treatment plant instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.