Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

seperated, she has no income, any help.

seperated, she has no income, any help.

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:48 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute
Default seperated, she has no income, any help.

Hello,
A couple I know have separated (not married). He gets a disability pension from UK but now she is no longer covered as a dependent and there is no work or possibility of work where she is, as such she is pennyless.
Is there any form of financial assistance for foreigners in this situation?
As far as I know there is not but was wondering if that has changed.
Many thanks for any advice
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:58 am
Account Closed

lunacrout is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: seperated, she has no income, any help.

I don't know personally - what an awful postion to be in - I hope that someone here can help!!

Old Nov 2nd 2009, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

The only thing i can think of is contacting the embassy and maybe they will help with a crisis loan to get her back to the UK. Failing that does she not have family in the UK who would pay for her flight back, or is she intending to stay in spain?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies,

The problem, as always, is that there are children involved.
She has no problem getting back to the UK BUT the father and the children want to stay here and therein lies the size of the problem.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

Well then no, as far as i know there is no financial assistance for foreigners, one of the many reasons why so many are heading back to the UK. There is only the unemployment benefit but that is if you lost your job. Surely if there are kids involved then the dad has to pay her maintenance?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dessiree
Surely if there are kids involved then the dad has to pay her maintenance?
He is on a State disability pension, so no.
Sorry state of affairs for all.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:14 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Well then no, as far as i know there is no financial assistance for foreigners, one of the many reasons why so many are heading back to the UK. There is only the unemployment benefit but that is if you lost your job. Surely if there are kids involved then the dad has to pay her maintenance?
If they are not married why should he pay her maintenance?

OP might confirm if the kids are his?

Last edited by missile; Nov 2nd 2009 at 3:17 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if there are kids involved then the dad has to pay her maintenance?
The father and kids are staying here, but he has to pay her maintenance?
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The father and kids are staying here, but he has to pay her maintenance?
all i meant was that if he is the father of the children could he not help with costs for upkeep!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 4:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

all i meant was that if he is the father of the children could he not help with costs for upkeep!
But he's going to be looking after them if she goes back and they stay here I think
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
But he's going to be looking after them if she goes back and they stay here I think
Oh right i didn't realise that, must have read it too quick! I thought she was keeping the kids with her. Well, can't think of anything she can do then really, other than go back to the UK, get a job and send him money to help look after the kids....
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

If OP is in contact with them, never mind the other issues, please pass on sympathies from a mother who knows what it feels like on separation, for children to opt (whatever the reasons) to remain with their father at considerable distance.