Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Selling up in the UK and moving to Spain ?

Selling up in the UK and moving to Spain ?

Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

RONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really nice
Default Selling up in the UK and moving to Spain ?

Hi all,

Been lurking on the forums for a while now and decided to join as I've found the info given is very helpful.

We are nearing retirement and researching as much as we can on the pros/cons on selling our house and buying a property in Spain......good or bad idea at the moment ? what with the recession and everything else going on at the moment......This and millions of other things to think about....aargh our heads hurt !!!!!

Any thoughts comment's would be appreciated
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling up in the UK and moving to Spain ?

Originally Posted by RONLIN
Hi all,

Been lurking on the forums for a while now and decided to join as I've found the info given is very helpful.

We are nearing retirement and researching as much as we can on the pros/cons on selling our house and buying a property in Spain......good or bad idea at the moment ? what with the recession and everything else going on at the moment......This and millions of other things to think about....aargh our heads hurt !!!!!

Whilst it's a buyers market I would still advise renting first. If you do that then there is a better chance that you will get the property you want in the correct area.

Take care with your pension. I still think the pound will fall further.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:31 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes rent first for sure, then you can buy at leisure in a buyers market

Come over on holiday and decide which areas you like first
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:50 am
Forum Regular

RONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really niceRONLIN is just really nice

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Whilst it's a buyers market I would still advise renting first. If you do that then there is a better chance that you will get the property you want in the correct area.

Take care with your pension. I still think the pound will fall further.
Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Yes rent first for sure, then you can buy at leisure in a buyers market

Come over on holiday and decide which areas you like first
Yeah,thanks snikpoh and Mitzyboy,

It is really difficult re pensions at the mo.Good idea to rent first. Was wondering where the warmest area is in the winter....never did like UK winters.....to long and to cold BRRRR.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Mookster will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

I look at it this way.....
There is a place near me in the UK called Rosebank, sounds lovely doesnt it ? looks ok too, nice house standards etc. An out sider who isnt familiar with the area would jump at the very reasonable prices of the very nice houses....
Only to find at a later date after they have commited and moved in that less than 1 mile away is the typical council sink estate that breeds burlglers like it is a profession to be proud of and Rosebank is there chosen place of "work"
My point is that you should live in an area for at least a year before buying unless you have very very good local knowledge.
people say "location, location, location"
i say "caution, caution,caution"
Old Jan 24th 2009, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

03630 will become famous soon enough03630 will become famous soon enough

Hi all,

If you can buy outright and fully fund your expected lifestyle then come on down. Definitely rent first. Consider what happens on that urb when neither of you can drive, how many times a year you need to visit family in the UK (and the cost).

Be open to the possibilities of learning the language and living in a Spanish environment.

Alicante has a better micro climate than the rest of the Costa Blanca, but I would imagine the winters in the Costa del Sol are warmer.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mookster
less than 1 mile away is the typical council sink estate that breeds burlglers like it is a profession to be proud of and Rosebank is there chosen place of "work"

Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 03630
If you can buy outright and fully fund your expected lifestyle then come on down. Definitely rent first. Consider what happens on that urb when neither of you can drive, how many times a year you need to visit family in the UK (and the cost).

Be open to the possibilities of learning the language and living in a Spanish environment.

Alicante has a better micro climate than the rest of the Costa Blanca, but I would imagine the winters in the Costa del Sol are warmer.
They usually are but htis year has been cold, down to 4 or 5 some nights.
19c on the balcony now and feels cold. ;-))
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Mookster will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jdr
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

We did loads of research and then bought, we did not rent first as far I think that is throwing money away if you are on a pension or living on proceeds as we were from the sale of our house.

Having said that as I have already stated we did a lot of homework etc. we are on Costa Tropical which has a micro climate and never ever do we get anywhere near frost, like JDR though I have found this year to be cooler and wetter, though still upper teens for temperature most of the time. Just when the sun dips over the mounbtain opposite we feel cooler.

Come over andvisit, do lots of research, decide if you want an urb or be like us and not. do you want to be near expats etc etc. do you want flat or hilly. Spain is a lot more mountainous then a lot of people realise

Good luck in your search

pwwm
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pwwm
We did loads of research and then bought, we did not rent first as far I think that is throwing money away if you are on a pension or living on proceeds as we were from the sale of our house.

Having said that as I have already stated we did a lot of homework etc. we are on Costa Tropical which has a micro climate and never ever do we get anywhere near frost, like JDR though I have found this year to be cooler and wetter, though still upper teens for temperature most of the time. Just when the sun dips over the mounbtain opposite we feel cooler.

Come over andvisit, do lots of research, decide if you want an urb or be like us and not. do you want to be near expats etc etc. do you want flat or hilly. Spain is a lot more mountainous then a lot of people realise

Good luck in your search

pwwm

Costa Tropical area sounds nice re climate,can only find apartments for sale after a quick search which would not be any good,have to search a bit harder.

We have two small dogs (Jack Russells)so need a bit of private garden,Villa/Bungalow/house is on the menu for us.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
Just checked the thermometer and its 3c here 19c sounds great from where i'm sitting LOL
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Just checked the thermometer and its 3c here 19c sounds great from where i'm sitting LOL
definitely, definitely rent first! no matter where you go/look/see, test the water first. you may like the area, but end up in a house too big, too small, too far to the shops, too close to the bars (is this possible?!?). you may not like your neighbours, or the kids down the street who hang about on their mopeds. you might just happen to realise 4 months after buying that theres an even more perfect villa just round the corner, which was for sale all along, by paco, at 20k less than you paid.
once youre there, you get a much better feel for a place, find out more, meet people, etc etc.
i dont believe you 'throw money away' by renting for 6 months, or even a year, i believe thats the cost of real research. and believe me, i also thought it was a waste to spend money on rent when we were looking to come to spain, but if i ever do it again (move in a foreign country) i will rent first.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

trentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nicetrentino is just really nice

Costa del Sol is the warmest. Lovely day here today in Marbella
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously depends on the area, but remember you can still lock in 4 -4.5 per cent on savings. Which will pay some or all of your rental if you just park the purchase money somewhere.
Perhaps hedge at least some of your purchase money, snikpoh may be right, sterling could fall further in the short term. If you can afford the property at the current rate, then if sterling drops far enough to make your future non viable in Spain at any rate you will have a profit to console you. (I certainly wish I had done this). If on the other hand the Euro weakens then you may then have paid more for your house than you need, but your living expenses will be lower than expected to similarly console you.
(In the longer term, though the pound should return to 130ish vs the Euro, and 1.60ish against the dollar).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.