Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Selling Spanish Property

Selling Spanish Property

Old Jun 16th 2021, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling Spanish Property

Originally Posted by SanNico
I'm making a comparison of expats with tourists and locals with reference to post 16 about the importance of tourism. Retired expats are good for the economy, they're an export the same as tourists and digital nomads. Tourism trumps both as it's a massive source of income to many people, not just a few.
Expats generally live a quiet life. After the initial investment, which benefits the agent, the vendor and the treasury, the beneficaries are limited. They don't go out for lunch and dinner every day or shop in the tourist traps. They eat and drink at home with groceries from chain supermarkets, buy goods from Amazon and quite often employ fellow expat trades or handymen as they don't have a good enough command of the language to employ locals. Their disposable income is often used for returning to their home country for a holiday. How many pre-Brexit posts did we see of people asking if they could live here on 200 Euro per week and how many replies saying that they actually do live for less? Post Brexit we see a lot of people asking for ways around the minimum income requirments. I'm not knocking it, just making the observation and am also guilty of not being a tourist or speaking the language.
I think you would have to define the word Expat and to me an Expat would be a person living outside their native country. Basically a foreigner or immigrant as DLC said and many foreigners/immigrants contribute.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Reports from people who have overstayed (were here prior to Dec 31st.) but have recently left the country confirm that passports are not automatically being stamped which is entirely in line with the Schengen Border Guard manual which states that an exit stamp cannot be inserted in a passport where no corresponding entry stamp exists.

Whilst I doubt anyone is actively seeking out illegals if and when they do come to the attention of the police what I would expect to happen is that they will be given a grace period to get legal or be told to leave with enforcement if it becomes necessary. How they might be able to legitimise themselves is another question, I suppose if they had been living here before Dec 31st. they might still be a door ajar permitted them to apply for a WA TIE, otherwise they would have to leave and apply for a visa in UK and for sure many will fail to meet the requirements for that.

The thing which will eventually catch out most who persist in living illegally or under the radar though is their UK driving licences either by being stopped in a roadside check and found out or their licences expiring which will automatically invalidate their insurance.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think you would have to define the word Expat and to me an Expat would be a person living outside their native country. Basically a foreigner or immigrant as DLC said and many foreigners/immigrants contribute.
That's the only definition I can think of. Yes, a working expat is contributing in the same way as a local and there are many. The demographic on the forum and in the Brit hotspots is mostly non working expats, not big spending tourists. We are the bread and butter, the tourists are the cherry on the cake.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the only definition I can think of. Yes, a working expat is contributing in the same way as a local and there are many. The demographic on the forum and in the Brit hotspots is mostly non working expats, not big spending tourists. We are the bread and butter, the tourists are the cherry on the cake.
I think putting people in groups is a bit misleading. A working expat does not automatically contribute more than a non working expat and again there are far too many factors to consider. You'll also find many young expats working in Spanish cities who don't spend any money. They could be working all day, are on a low salary and when it's evening they only buy a cheap can of beer and sit on the beach and save the rest to spend back home. Just a while ago some people were complaining that tourists don't spend any money and go to All Inclusive hotels. Then you could argue that without those non working expats (call them retired) in low cost areas many buildings would be derelict anyway. Even though I am not a permanent resident in Spain, I might have contributed more than some working expats. I paid a local business to do the excavation work, I paid a local business to build the house, I pay the taxes and when I'm there I buy locally and fill up the car with local produce. We eat out every night and buy furniture locally. I've known other working Expats who lived in Barcelona and didn't even buy a t-shirt. At the end of the day we are all different and contribute in different ways. Every region and area in Spain will have a different target group. I would still say that a business selling boats won't care if you are a working local, retired or even a tourist as long as you buy the boat.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 17th 2021 at 11:13 am.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

Why is a Brit in Spain an expat whilst a Spaniard in UK an immigrant?
Old Jun 17th 2021, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

SanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond reputeSanNico has a reputation beyond repute

We're on the same page. A holiday home owner is a tourist who owns a house. In other words the best type of export in terms of trade balance as you earn your money in a different country and spend it here. Low paid expats are still valuable as they pay income tax locally before they pay IVA. It wasn't a personal dig, just explaining how tourism is a bonus to the treasury whereas residents are are the bread and butter.
Old Jun 17th 2021, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...alled-an-expat
Old Jun 17th 2021, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
Often wondered that myself especially when in Spain I hear people refer to themselves as an expat yet sit slagging off immigrants to the UK who strangely all it would seem are illegal and screwing the benefits system? Not sure how the 2 fit illegal yet signing up for benefits?
Old Jun 18th 2021, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Reports from people who have overstayed (were here prior to Dec 31st.) but have recently left the country confirm that passports are not automatically being stamped which is entirely in line with the Schengen Border Guard manual which states that an exit stamp cannot be inserted in a passport where no corresponding entry stamp exists.

Whilst I doubt anyone is actively seeking out illegals if and when they do come to the attention of the police what I would expect to happen is that they will be given a grace period to get legal or be told to leave with enforcement if it becomes necessary. How they might be able to legitimise themselves is another question, I suppose if they had been living here before Dec 31st. they might still be a door ajar permitted them to apply for a WA TIE, otherwise they would have to leave and apply for a visa in UK and for sure many will fail to meet the requirements for that.

The thing which will eventually catch out most who persist in living illegally or under the radar though is their UK driving licences either by being stopped in a roadside check and found out or their licences expiring which will automatically invalidate their insurance.
yea but they could just hire rental cars on a British licence.Which are Spanish plated and fully legit. Undocumented established expats normally have a few quid. There the ones eating out every night and spending cash by the bucket load. And the Spanish know that. With massively rising house prices in the UK. A stronger pound and dirt cheap
property in Spain , plus since covid more people have learnt how to work online from home , Spain should still be the number one spot for expats or British immigrants or however you want to call them.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

People have been going back home from Spain because of the covid crisis. When the dust settles and they have had all their jabs and the Spanish economy is back to work they probably will be back over. Houses in my town in the UK are stupid money now and just keep rising. You don’t get nothing for your money in the uk. It’s too densely populated and the demand for houses has pushed the prices through the roof.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

growinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond reputegrowinspain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stingychips
Spain should still be the number one spot for expats or British immigrants or however you want to call them.
Only for proximity to the island. The US, Canada or Oz-NZ are better choices now that they are 3rd world citizens..
Old Jun 18th 2021, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by growinspain
Only for proximity to the island. The US, Canada or Oz-NZ are better choices now that they are 3rd world citizens..
Disagree it’s harder for a British citizen to go to all of those countries. Hasn’t Australia fully closed its borders? And I bet house prices and the house buying process is more complex in all of those places. That’s the beauty of Spain , Quick cheap
flights , cheap booze and cigarettes and cheap land and houses. A Brit can travel to Spain right now with out any testing. Stay in Spain for 3 months without even raising an eyebrow. And the Spanish house buying process if they decide they wanted to stay is unbelievable. Just a bank transfer and a signature at the notary with your NIE and your done.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

And the Spanish house buying process if they decide they wanted to stay is unbelievable. Just a bank transfer and a signature at the notary with your NIE and your done.
If you share a contact who can do that they'll be the richest person in Spain by Monday morning, or do you mean once you have residency?
Dirt cheap housing and staying on don't go hand in hand anymore as they would never get residency. Not sure where the houses are dirt cheap either. The cheaper houses are often in the countryside without mains sewage, gas etc.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Disagree it’s harder for a British citizen to go to all of those countries. Hasn’t Australia fully closed its borders? And I bet house prices and the house buying process is more complex in all of those places. That’s the beauty of Spain , Quick cheap
flights , cheap booze and cigarettes and cheap land and houses. A Brit can travel to Spain right now with out any testing. Stay in Spain for 3 months without even raising an eyebrow. And the Spanish house buying process if they decide they wanted to stay is unbelievable. Just a bank transfer and a signature at the notary with your NIE and your done.
Maybe growinspain is talking about working professionals and you are talking about retired, I could be wrong? Spain was never an attractive location for Brits to make money but for those retired (who qualify) or split time it remains the number one place to go (include Portugal). What you won't get in Spain anymore are those typical sunseeker tradesmen in their 30's to 40's. In that case Australia would be easier to get a visa, especially if you have a good chunk of money to waste. Apart from Florida in the US (used to be popular), I wouldn't know many people who would plan to retire to those mentioned countries. First of all far too expensive, too far away and very few would have the finances to qualify. Cheap is relative and even in Spain you pay for quality.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 18th 2021 at 1:05 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2021, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

If you share a contact who can do that they'll be the richest person in Spain by Monday morning, or do you mean once you have residency?
Dirt cheap housing and staying on don't go hand in hand anymore as they would never get residency. Not sure where the houses are dirt cheap either. The cheaper houses are often in the countryside without mains sewage, gas etc.
you don’t need to be a resident to purchase property.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.