Reload this Page >

Selling a Spanish plated vehicle

Selling a Spanish plated vehicle

Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Piggybank is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling a Spanish plated vehicle

Hi All,

Just found this site and it seems like a good place to get/share info!

I have a problem - 18 months ago I sold a motorcycle on Spanish plates to a guy who was then going to change the matricula......he still hasn't! I gave him all the details I needed to and have his NIE number, address, mobile number and a signed receipt from him. He still has the bike but I guess as it's used mainly in the campo he isn't worried about insurance, tax, ITV etc. I don't want to pay to have it transferred into his name as he's supposed to pay for that and in any case I don't have the necessary docs. If I go to Trafico in Malaga can I explain what has happened and get them to visit him/make a note that I no longer have the vehicle?
Yes.....I know it was perhaps naive of me to think he'd actually do what he was supposed to do but as we can't turn the clock back I'm after some suggestions as to what to do next. I thought about serving a denuncia on him as from what I can gather the Local Police have to visit him but what if he says he no longer has the bike?

Any advice would be most welcome.....

Cheers, Piggy
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling a Spanish plated vehicle

Originally Posted by Piggybank
Hi All,

I have a problem - 18 months ago I sold a motorcycle on Spanish plates to a guy who was then going to change the matricula......he still hasn't! I gave him all the details I needed to and have his NIE number, address, mobile number and a signed receipt from him. He still has the bike but I guess as it's used mainly in the campo he isn't worried about insurance, tax, ITV etc. I don't want to pay to have it transferred into his name as he's supposed to pay for that and in any case I don't have the necessary docs. If I go to Trafico in Malaga can I explain what has happened and get them to visit him/make a note that I no longer have the vehicle?
Yes.....I know it was perhaps naive of me to think he'd actually do what he was supposed to do but as we can't turn the clock back I'm after some suggestions as to what to do next. I thought about serving a denuncia on him as from what I can gather the Local Police have to visit him but what if he says he no longer has the bike?

Cheers, Piggy
Without starting a new thread and totally away from your post I have always wanted to ask this question, sorry.

Do Car Auctions exist in spain, or is everything done through a Dealer, of so then everything come's with a warranty of somekind ?

This is one of the only area's I feel I would be very Naive in
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:34 pm
Just Joined

Don't know of any car auctions - your choice is dealer or private I think.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know of any car auctions - your choice is dealer or private I think.
For me its hard to understand I just assume that in Spain a car is treated as soemthign very personal, unlike for me in the UK where you just chop and change all the time.

We are 3 months into 2008 and I am on my sixth car/van allready, I guess in Spain it will be very awkward to carry on like this. I watched a few prorgammes about buying a car in Spain and it seems it can be more hassle than buying a house !
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:06 am
Just Joined

I think there is more potential to lose money when changing vehicles all the time, as there is the cost involved in what is the equivalent of sending off the V5 to DVLA, which of course costs you nothing in the UK but is related to the cost of the vehicle involved - if it's an expensive car then the change of ownership costs can run into thousands of euros which may explain why people keep their vehicles longer here.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 8:23 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

The simple answer is yes you can, though they may ask you to make a report at the local police station too.

Unfortunately the fact of the matter is it's you that has to make sure everything was done properly and thus any outstanding fines/tax payable for the vehicle will legally be on your shoulders, however if they will make you pay it since you've done the right thing is another matter.

If he has got rid of the bike or will get rid of it when you do the above then unless you have something in writing from him to say he has bought the bike and it's dated then it's his/her word against yours and I'm afraid you don't have a leg to stand on and WILL be liable for all tax/fines.

Hi All,

Cheers, Piggy

Last edited by zel; Mar 18th 2008 at 8:27 am.
Old Mar 18th 2008, 11:19 am
Just Joined

I do have a receipt signed by him stating the registration, date of sale, his address and NIE number - he also had a copy when he bought the bike.

I rang him today and after some attempts to fob me off I asked if he would send the necessary paperwork to me so I can instruct a gestoria to do the transaction so hopefully this will happen.....we'll wait and see!