Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

selling Spanish car to someone in France

selling Spanish car to someone in France

Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default selling Spanish car to someone in France

anyone know if this is possible ? they are moving from UK to France, so wont have a Spanish address or NIE...will there be difficulties transferring the name over ?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: selling Spanish car to someone in France

Originally Posted by spain
anyone know if this is possible ? they are moving from UK to France, so wont have a Spanish address or NIE...will there be difficulties transferring the name over ?
you've probably thought of this - but have you put this in 'France'?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
you've probably thought of this - but have you put this in 'France'?
no, hadnt thoguht of it, thanks will do it now
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think that it will be any different to registering a car here. We bought our LHD from France, registered it in UK and then registered it here. So presume that it will just be a case of having all of the relevant paperwork whereever it is to be registered.

Rosemary
Old Dec 12th 2008, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I do not think that it will be any different to registering a car here. We bought our LHD from France, registered it in UK and then registered it here. So presume that it will just be a case of having all of the relevant paperwork whereever it is to be registered.

Rosemary
just wondered because they dont have an NIE or Spanish address, would trafico accept a French or UK address for the paperwork ?
Old Dec 12th 2008, 2:34 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

No country will accept an address outside of the country to register a car.

But to answer your question .

If you do not do the paperwork correctly I can seem some possible problems in the future.
1) the other person cannot register the car as they do not have any proof of ownership or that it has been exported correctly
2) if they do not register it or you fail to export it correctly you can end up paying for the fines and any taxes left on the car.

Maybe you should get a gestoria involved as you have to have the car deregistered from the traffico, and the town hall.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 1:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

To sell a Spanish registered car to someone that person/company needs an DNI, NIE or CIF number and an address in Spain.

Don't be tempted to sell the car to someone without transferring it, this used to be common here in Spain (or in the South anyway) but if anything happens to or with that car then you are responsible. My wife did this once, she got a letter from trafico 3 years ago because of a problem with a car she sold 15 years before that (18 years ago), she explained the situation and thankfully all was fine but she is Spanish and was lucky.

Last edited by Econ; Dec 13th 2008 at 1:11 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:32 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Econ
To sell a Spanish registered car to someone that person/company needs an DNI, NIE or CIF number and an address in Spain.

Don't be tempted to sell the car to someone without transferring it, this used to be common here in Spain (or in the South anyway) but if anything happens to or with that car then you are responsible. My wife did this once, she got a letter from trafico 3 years ago because of a problem with a car she sold 15 years before that (18 years ago), she explained the situation and thankfully all was fine but she is Spanish and was lucky.
If the person is going to register the vehicle in France (thus taking it off of Spanish plates) then it's very straight forward.

Give them a receipt with the chassis number of the car (not the Spanish reg number) and tell them that you will be de-registering it straight away in Spain.

Then the legal position of the car is out of your hands and onto the new owners. If they use the Spanish plates to drive it to France and get stopped it's their problem as you've done the right thing.

If you want to aid them then just make sure they can get insurance for the car whilst on Spanish plates so they can legally get it to France and come to an agreement that within 48hrs you will be submitting the paperwork to de-reg it within Spain.

A guide to de-registering a vehicle in Spain can be found here : http://****************/forum/motoring...ide-spain.html

I wrote the guide so I do have permission to link!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by zel
If the person is going to register the vehicle in France (thus taking it off of Spanish plates) then it's very straight forward.

Give them a receipt with the chassis number of the car (not the Spanish reg number) and tell them that you will be de-registering it straight away in Spain.

Then the legal position of the car is out of your hands and onto the new owners. If they use the Spanish plates to drive it to France and get stopped it's their problem as you've done the right thing.

If you want to aid them then just make sure they can get insurance for the car whilst on Spanish plates so they can legally get it to France and come to an agreement that within 48hrs you will be submitting the paperwork to de-reg it within Spain.

A guide to de-registering a vehicle in Spain can be found here : http://****************/forum/motoring...ide-spain.html

wonder how they would get it insured if its on Spanish plates if they dont have a Spanish address, or maybe their current insurance could be transferred to a foreign vehicle ?

also, if it remained on Spanish plates, ie from the time they bought it to the time they re-registered it, how would that stand, I presume that as soon as it is de-registered in Spain it has no legal registration number plate so they would be void

hmmmm Im confuzed
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:47 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zel

As I said in the France forum, When the car hits France it's going to require an Export Certificate so that it can be registered at the Prefecture in France. A certificate of European Conformity will be required as well. It's going to be easier for the OP to export the Vec if a NIE is required for Export papers.

But I found this HERE which may be able to help, The Advert says Exports papers and Cancellation of documents which I assume a Gesture or what ever they are called can deal with.

wonder how they would get it insured if its on Spanish plates if they dont have a Spanish address, or maybe their current insurance could be transferred to a foreign vehicle ?

also, if it remained on Spanish plates, ie from the time they bought it to the time they re-registered it, how would that stand, I presume that as soon as it is de-registered in Spain it has no legal registration number plate so they would be void

hmmmm Im confuzed

Go see a Gesture whassy thingy.......As they should be in the Know.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Dec 15th 2008 at 1:50 pm.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
As I said in the France forum, When the car hits France it's going to require an Export Certificate so that it can be registered at the Prefecture in France. A certificate of European Conformity will be required as well. It's going to be easier for the OP to export the Vec if a NIE is required for Export papers.

But I found this HERE which may be able to help, The Advert says Exports papers and Cancellation of documents which I assume a Gesture or what ever they are called can deal with.

thanks
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:53 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!

Hear hear...I posted similar advice sorry but you have to do this properly or you can end up with more trouble.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Hear hear...I posted similar advice sorry but you have to do this properly or you can end up with more trouble.
yes of course I want to do it properly thats why I am asking the questions

the problem at the moment seems to be the insurance, their UK company wont cover the Spanish car nor will my Spanish company so they are fidning out now if a French company will do it, perhaps they will temporary til the car is re-registered on French plates...there must be a way around this insurance problem