Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Selling house - tied to one agent only?

Selling house - tied to one agent only?

Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling house - tied to one agent only?

Apologies if this is a repeat posting but I thought I'd posted it a couple of days ago, but can't see any sign of it.
Anyway, here goes.
If one is selling a house with an agent, is one tied to that agent or can one use one or more? Seems sensible to place a house with as many as possible, but there must be a snag with that somewhere - or perhaps not!
I think in the UK you sometimes have to agree to an exclusivity arrangement with the one estate agent.
Thanks.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:09 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling house - tied to one agent only?

It does not matter which country you are in, the more agents you list with the better chance you have of potential buyers seeing it.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 3:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
It does not matter which country you are in, the more agents you list with the better chance you have of potential buyers seeing it.
In the UK when you sign up with an agent the contract is almost always a 'sole agency' contract, so you can't list with anyone else. In Spain, the sole agency is rare, the only one we found when we sold, was ReMax, so we didn;t bother with them, We just went to about 6 others and got the place listed there. Gives a lot more scope for sellers.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 4:01 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Never signed an exclusive agreement in the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks very much for the responses, very helpful.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks very much for the responses, very helpful.
You should be aware that if you go with more than one agent, it's not unusual for the agents to put it on sale at different prices.

We were with three agents, and one of them had it on sale at a different price to the others
Old Aug 6th 2015, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also sole agent can mean lower mish mish, in our case it is 2% less for sole agency in Spain naturally I wouldn't be paying 2% in the UK.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

101wvd is an unknown quantity at this point

Having more than one Agent in UK generally means a higher % rate rather than having a Sole Agent. Big difference if one has an expensive home.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Selling house - tied to one agent only?

Apologies if this is a repeat posting but I thought I'd posted it a couple of days ago, but can't see any sign of it.
Anyway, here goes.
If one is selling a house with an agent, is one tied to that agent or can one use one or more? Seems sensible to place a house with as many as possible, but there must be a snag with that somewhere - or perhaps not!
I think in the UK you sometimes have to agree to an exclusivity arrangement with the one estate agent.
Thanks.
You are not tied to one agent anywhere but in the UK sole agency means a cheaper fee and more chance of success as multi agency properties tend to take a back seat. In Spain you can list with several agents but be careful as you might find that they have deals with each other anyway and once listed with one you could find it on anothers website without even being asked. Prices also may vary for your property from one agent to another.
I would suggest to use a local agent who has knowledge of your area and the current property market and another larger agent who will put your property on their website. Fees are higher than the UK and some have a minimum fee. Make sure all your paperwork is in order and get an EPC done.
Good luck and also try selling it yourself.. we did two months ago. I printed my own property details and posted them all around, put it on Facebook and emailed all my friends. I saved 5000€.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again for the advice.
Just one question, who does the EPC? Do I just contact someone myself, if so who, or does an agent arrange this as part of the selling process?
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again for the advice.
Just one question, who does the EPC? Do I just contact someone myself, if so who, or does an agent arrange this as part of the selling process?
You have to organise that yourself and check your local paper or ask friends who they used. The price is dependent on the square meterage but be careful there are some unqualified people doing this and the certificate is no vale nada!
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
You have to organise that yourself and check your local paper or ask friends who they used. The price is dependent on the square meterage but be careful there are some unqualified people doing this and the certificate is no vale nada!
Thanks for that. Think it may have to be the local paper. Those friends who will likely have obtained one, have moved and that was some time ago. Don't know whether or not the requirement for the certificate was in force then. Will ask them.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 11:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that. Think it may have to be the local paper. Those friends who will likely have obtained one, have moved and that was some time ago. Don't know whether or not the requirement for the certificate was in force then. Will ask them.
The estate agent recommended mine
Old Aug 8th 2015, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The estate agent recommended mine
And he will have had his commission I expect...best to deal with people direct here as thre is less chance of paying intermediaries.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
And he will have had his commission I expect...best to deal with people direct here as thre is less chance of paying intermediaries.
Good point, thanks for that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.