Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Selling british car with spanish plates problem

Selling british car with spanish plates problem

Old Oct 7th 2021, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

annkar8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Selling british car with spanish plates problem

Hi, my parents have recently moved back to UK after living as residents in Spain for 15 years. They left their car there and a recommeded person who basically helps to make sure all legal things are done to let the authorities know they have left Spain was doing on their behalf. They said they would sell their british spanish registered car for them, and take what they owe for service provided from the sale, and forward on what was left. My father said he left all docs for car in glove compartment and told them this. My parents heard nothing from this person for many months, and they were not replying to phonecalls made or emails. Somebody who still lives in the place they lived had seen their car being used around the town. After, they messaged again to ask why they had no update, or heard from them. Now the person is asking for 75 Euros to apply for a replacement document that they say was missing from docs left in car, but my father is adamant all docs were in the car. They say they cannot sell the car for them with out it. They've also said if they don't receive the money for the missing document, they will just dump car on highway. I am not sure what the document is that they are asking for money to be forwarded to apply for it on behalf of my father the owner of the car. My parents are elderly, and are worried that they will not hear from them again, if he does forward the 75 euros. He's adamant he will not be forwarding money to them. I am worried that he will get into trouble if the car is just left on highway, if it is not sold.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 1:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Selling british car with spanish plates problem

To be honest if your parents no longer live in Spain and have no property there the car will just be impounded then, if not claimed sold or destroyed. Unless they are in Spain with an address it really isnt a big deal.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

annkar8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chipmonk
To be honest if your parents no longer live in Spain and have no property there the car will just be impounded then, if not claimed sold or destroyed. Unless they are in Spain with an address it really isnt a big deal.
Ah, okay. I think they were worried that it might be an offence to just leave it, and that the police would try and locate them with a fine. The person who has it says they think they have a buyer for it, but need a document to be able to sell it.

I think they may as well just forget about it, the car is worth about 400/500 euros. Their verbally quoted bill for person sorting their end of Spanish residency is about 200 euros.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 9:19 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Odds on he has already sold the car & is just trying his luck, or has taken possession of it and again just trying.
Tell him that you have now sold it to some Albanians as seen and you have given his details to them to pop around and pick the car up.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 9:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like they trusted an untrustworthy person. I would be concerned about this person using the car. As you possibly know, any fines incurred will be chargeable to the registered owner.
Their verbally quoted bill for person sorting their end of Spanish residency is about 200 euros.
Has this person actually done anything? Seems well dodgy. How would a lay person cancel another persons residency? I would suggest you contact their town hall and ask for their assistance which is FREE.
Old Oct 7th 2021, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

In all likelihood Chipmunk is correct about what would happen.

However if the car is in one of your parents names and on spanish matriculation they are potentially wide open to criminal and civil liability with costs ranging from minor to major.

This needs resolved !!! ( Especially as you say the car has been seen being driven on the roads and the threats of dumping it on the highway )

Therefore can you ask your parents:

1. Which Document these people say is missing.2. If the car has a current ITV and if it does run out when it does.
3. If the car is currently insured by them and if so when it runs outs.
4. The make, model and age of the car.
5. To confirm it is a RHD imported into Spain from Britain and matriculated onto Spanish number plates.

I or others can then advise on your parents best option.

They really need to act but they don't need to worry.... there are loads of solutions.

Best
Loco

​​​​

​​

​​​​​

Old Oct 8th 2021, 7:40 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco
In all likelihood Chipmunk is correct about what would happen.

However if the car is in one of your parents names and on spanish matriculation they are potentially wide open to criminal and civil liability with costs ranging from minor to major.

This needs resolved !!! ( Especially as you say the car has been seen being driven on the roads and the threats of dumping it on the highway )

Therefore can you ask your parents:

1. Which Document these people say is missing.2. If the car has a current ITV and if it does run out when it does.
3. If the car is currently insured by them and if so when it runs outs.
4. The make, model and age of the car.
5. To confirm it is a RHD imported into Spain from Britain and matriculated onto Spanish number plates.

I or others can then advise on your parents best option.

They really need to act but they don't need to worry.... there are loads of solutions.

Best
Loco

​​​​

​​

​​​​​
Why not just report it as stolen to the Guardia?
Old Oct 8th 2021, 9:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why not just report it as stolen to the Guardia?
The Guardia would not get involved in a straight forward civil matter. The OPs father left the car in the care of this person gave them the keys and documentation and asked them to deal with disposing of it, I don't see how anyone can now say its been stolen?
Old Oct 8th 2021, 9:58 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
The Guardia would not get involved in a straight forward civil matter. The OPs father left the car in the care of this person gave them the keys and documentation and asked them to deal with disposing of it, I don't see how anyone can now say its been stolen?
It was left to be sold, not to be driven around so I think the person is taking the p*ss.

For that reason I would declare it as stolen or perhaps just baja it.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
It was left to be sold, not to be driven around so I think the person is taking the p*ss.

For that reason I would declare it as stolen or perhaps just baja it.
I don't disagree but taking the p*ss as you say doesn't constitute a criminal offence as far as the car having been "stolen" as such I would think the Guardia would say civil dispute. They of course may well look at the person driving for other offences like insurance etc.
Old Oct 8th 2021, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be far more concerned about being properly deregistering in Spain than the fate of a 400-500€ banger who's days will end when it's ITV runs out, what proof do they have of that being done?

Regardless, assuming they have no assets remaining in Spain then nobody will be coming after them for fines or offences particularly as they can prove they had left the country before they were committed.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 7:39 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, have the OP's parents properly terminated the car's Insurance? If they are thinking of letting it "expire" without doing anything, they might have problems with their Insurance company when it comes up for renewal. In France, for example, you have to terminate a Contract by Registered Letter xx months before it expires, otherwise you're committed to pay for another year.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

And at the end of the day whilst I have sympathy with the OPs parents who are elderly it is the individuals responsibility to sort out the bureaucracy required when leaving a country such as Spain which thrives on its bureaucracy
Old Oct 9th 2021, 11:33 am
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by dmu
Just to clarify, have the OP's parents properly terminated the car's Insurance? If they are thinking of letting it "expire" without doing anything, they might have problems with their Insurance company when it comes up for renewal. In France, for example, you have to terminate a Contract by Registered Letter xx months before it expires, otherwise you're committed to pay for another year.
It's the same in Spain with just 1 months notice required.
Old Oct 9th 2021, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really niceLoco is just really nice

1. Reporting it as stolen won't work for the reasons other posters have stated.2. Cancelling or letting the insurance lapse is the the last thing they should do if the car is in thier name.

3. A temporary baja with the reason stated would be a good idea. A permanent baja isn't possible.

4. The idea that because the parents have left Spain they don't have a potential problem is wrong.

Since Brexit an Exequatur ( enforcement of a foreign judgement ) is currently not quite as easy to obtain for EU judgements but it isn't that hard.

5. The reference the OP makes to the 200 euro is confusing.

6. The 70 euro the OP says is required for them to replace the missing document is probably fair enough especially if it includes the DGT fees.

7. Frankly if the car was mechanically sound, has a current ITV or would pass a new one, and the traffico is clear I would probably buy it at the lower price the OP mentions and sort out the paperwork later for use as a back up.

Best

Loco