Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Self Employed Income Tax Help?

Self Employed Income Tax Help?

Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Employed Income Tax Help?

Can anyone help with some information regarding paying Income Tax.
I am 62 year old man and have been retired in Spain for the last few years.
I have been asked to do some work in the U.K.
It is only a one off and I will earn somewhere in the region of £6,000.
How do I go about declaring it?
Or is it not enough to warrant any Income Tax? the problem is the people I will be working for will be declaring this amount,and I will be paid by cheque.
Any help & guidance much appreciated.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Self Employed Income Tax Help?

I am not an accountant so best seek prof advice but assuming you have no other UK income 6k GBP will only just take you over the tax free allowance (c5.5 k GBP this tax year but check). Any other UK income will obviously push you into the 20% bracket (now the 10% band has gone).

Any UK earnings are taxed in the UK.

Depending on the type of work you may have some offsettable expenses you can claim (cough, cough, excuse me I have a sore throat).

Hope it helps, best get proper advice though.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 10:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you will pay tax on it in the UK but as a Spanish resident you will also be liable to Spanish tax on it.

It should be added to your other income (pensions etc) and also declared in Spain. Any tax paid in the UK can be deducted from any Spanish tax due.
Old Apr 10th 2008, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

teddy14 is an unknown quantity at this point

info as a guide only... you have to declare the work, and pay income tax of 20% over the 5.5k ish threshold depending on your tax band, you will also be liable to pay N.I , you will then probably have to pay income tax in spain, on the ammount, although this depends on which country your are classed as a tax resident and there are numerous rules and expections.

The rules would again change whether you are working as a self employed contactor, or as an employee. My tax knowledge is 3 years out of date though so Id check with a more unptodate tax specific accountant.

Last edited by teddy14; Apr 10th 2008 at 12:48 pm.