Reload this Page >

Self Drive hire van to move ?

Self Drive hire van to move ?

Old Feb 23rd 2005, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

originalbrownster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Self Drive hire van to move ?

Hi there,
We had a quick look at the price to have a company do the move (expensive not suprising considering) and we figure it might be cheaper to sell our bulk furniture and just take the smaller stuff ourselves.
Has anyone reading moved themselves to Spain by hiring a luton style van and driving down themselves, using a company that allows you to drop the van off in Spain please?
I would be interested to hear your experiences / advice.

Thanks
Wayne.
Old Feb 24th 2005, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

C-Cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Self Drive hire van to move ?

Originally Posted by originalbrownster
Hi there,
We had a quick look at the price to have a company do the move (expensive not suprising considering) and we figure it might be cheaper to sell our bulk furniture and just take the smaller stuff ourselves.
Has anyone reading moved themselves to Spain by hiring a luton style van and driving down themselves, using a company that allows you to drop the van off in Spain please?
I would be interested to hear your experiences / advice.

Thanks
Wayne.
Hi Wayne,
We're doing much the same thing as you, and have found the logistics a nightmare but this course seems the easiest.....

After extensive searching, it would seem that there is no van / car hire company that will allow you to hire in the UK and drop off in another country (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Soooo.....what we have decided to do when we go later on this year, is to sell all our furniture and only take basic stuff like books, clothing, kitchen stuff, personal belongings, etc. The less 'important' of these items will go with a removal firm and then into storage until we find a place to buy (we are planning to rent for a couple of months.)
The rest we will take by ferry / road in our old 'banger' hatchback.
Our UK car insurance will cover this car for the first 90 days, after which we will buy a new car in Spain.
The logistics were further complicated by the transportation of a travel-hating cat , who we have been advised will fare much better by air, than several days in a car. Thus we will put him in the care of an animal agency for a few days and have him arrive a few days after us.

Option 2 - hire a van in the UK and have a friend/relative go to Spain with you and drive it back to the UK.

Option 3 - buy a cheap van, take it to Spain and sell it to someone going back to the UK.

Good luck - us know what you decide.

(I'm not speaking from experience as we haven't actually done this yet!)
Old Feb 24th 2005, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

originalbrownster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by C-Cat
Hi Wayne,
We're doing much the same thing as you, and have found the logistics a nightmare but this course seems the easiest.....

After extensive searching, it would seem that there is no van / car hire company that will allow you to hire in the UK and drop off in another country (please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Soooo.....what we have decided to do when we go later on this year, is to sell all our furniture and only take basic stuff like books, clothing, kitchen stuff, personal belongings, etc. The less 'important' of these items will go with a removal firm and then into storage until we find a place to buy (we are planning to rent for a couple of months.)
Our UK car insurance will cover this car for the first 90 days, after which we will buy a new car in Spain.
The logistics were further complicated by the transportation of a travel-hating cat , who we have been advised will fare much better by air, than several days in a car. Thus we will put him in the care of an animal agency for a few days and have him arrive a few days after us.

Option 2 - hire a van in the UK and have a friend/relative go to Spain with you and drive it back to the UK.

Option 3 - buy a cheap van, take it to Spain and sell it to someone going back to the UK.

Hi C-Cat,

I did find 'budget' van/lorry rental and on their website you could do a one way journey, I selected a uk starting point and santandere as the drop off point but, everytime I put some dates in (to get a price) it just says not available please change dates yada yada yada. So they might do it but it's a phone call I think. Here's the link if your interested:

Budgettruck.com

We have an old banger too, We haven't decided what to do with yet but a new (secondhand) car is definitely on the cards!

Regards
Wayne
Old Feb 25th 2005, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

fesuvious is on a distinguished road

Hi.
It can be the case that a full home relocation abroad can cost a lot of money. BUT. This is for a dedicated removal. Therfore its always going to be expensive.

Im currently looking after a number of customers who were going to take a small amount out themselves to Spain after selling off the 'bulk' here. They have all found that the costs are comparable between 'doing it themselves' and taking the goods out themselves.

Please feel free to email me for advice etc.

It really need not be a logistics nightmare nor a burden on the wallet........

Thanks
matt
Old Feb 25th 2005, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by originalbrownster
Hi C-Cat,

I did find 'budget' van/lorry rental and on their website you could do a one way journey, I selected a uk starting point and santandere as the drop off point but, everytime I put some dates in (to get a price) it just says not available please change dates yada yada yada. So they might do it but it's a phone call I think. Here's the link if your interested:

Budgettruck.com

We have an old banger too, We haven't decided what to do with yet but a new (secondhand) car is definitely on the cards!

Regards
Wayne
Thanks for the link - but Budget truck seems to be a US site and doesn't appear to have an option for any other countries; maybe that's why it's coming back as 'not available.' Not sure how useful this site is for our particular circumstances.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:27 am
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Wayne,

We too have 6 neurotic cats (probably only 4 or 5 by the time we go unfortunately) and we are dreading it as we don't want to take them with us driving and we also have heard that when they fly they come off the plane onto the luggage carousel. Imagine their terror at a plane load of people all staring at them as they go round and round in their cat boxes. I would also be worried about the luggage handlers throwing them around and I remember watching "Airport" on the tv of a cat escaping out of the box and running around the airport. Can you please advise which animal agency you intend to use as we will contact them and try to alleviate our fears about all of this.

We are having two members of our family come with us to drive the truck back as it will be a long journey for one person to make on their own. Also does anyone know whether it is better or cheaper or more expensive to go by ferry to Santander and then have a much smaller drive once in Spain??? Presumably if it is more expensive you save money on diesel and toll roads anyway??
Old Feb 26th 2005, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

fesuvious is on a distinguished road

Hi, the costs will work out roughly the same to go through France or straight to Santander.

Timewise theres not much in it either.

Santander from Plymouth is a 18 hour crossing.
To go via say Caen will entail a 5-6 hour crossing and a 12 hour drive (more if you stop)

However to get to rouchly the same point (Madrid for emample) will be almost the same whichever you choose. As, lets face it on a journey this long an hour here or there wont make much difference.

I might be able to help with regards getting the van there depending on when you are going. It might be that Id have a spare driver to take this for you should you wish to go over (with the kitties) on a plane.

I hope this helps. If theres anything else I might be able to help with please do not hesitate to contact me
cheers, matt
[email protected]

Last edited by fesuvious; Feb 26th 2005 at 10:40 am.
Old Feb 26th 2005, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
We too have 6 neurotic cats (probably only 4 or 5 by the time we go unfortunately) and we are dreading it as we don't want to take them with us driving and we also have heard that when they fly they come off the plane onto the luggage carousel. Imagine their terror at a plane load of people all staring at them as they go round and round in their cat boxes. I would also be worried about the luggage handlers throwing them around and I remember watching "Airport" on the tv of a cat escaping out of the box and running around the airport. Can you please advise which animal agency you intend to use as we will contact them and try to alleviate our fears about all of this.

We are having two members of our family come with us to drive the truck back as it will be a long journey for one person to make on their own. Also does anyone know whether it is better or cheaper or more expensive to go by ferry to Santander and then have a much smaller drive once in Spain??? Presumably if it is more expensive you save money on diesel and toll roads anyway??
Yes, I too saw that programme about the cat escaping at the airport but I'm sure it was an isolated incident and really wouldn't let it put me off flying my cats out if I were you, Gill.
And neither would I worry too much about the luggage carousel. It's true that the animals are put on them but it doesn't seem to cause them too much trauma.

In any event, we honestly feel that putting our cat on a plane with the relatively short travel time is by far the lesser of the two evils - we don't think he'd survive either the 18 hours on the ferry to Santander / 10 hours' drive at the other end (possibly in the heat - he is a longhaired cat) or even worse on the French route with a couple of days / nights cooped up in a car!

What also influenced our decision to fly him, was when I rang Brittany Ferries to ask what arrangements were in place for cats. I knew they had kennel facilities for dogs on board the 'Pont Aven' (the Plymouth/Santander ship) but oddly enough, there are apparently none for cats - they have to stay in the vehicle for the whole duration of the crossing, although you are allowed to 'visit' periodically. Worryingly, Brittany Ferries also said that the cats did not need to be containerised during the sailing (?)
We were not at all happy about this arrangement because of our cat's particular personality, plus it didn't seem very secure for either him (if he was not to spend the entire 18 hours in his container) or indeed for all our stuff in the car, because we would have had to leave a window open. So after additionally speaking to our vet (who advised us to fly him over) we realised that flying really will be the best option for him and us.

Of course you will need to weigh up the pros and cons, eg. if flying, they must not be tranquilised because of the pressure in the aircraft whereas they can be given a tranquiliser for the sea/road journey.

The vet recommended a 'cat pheromone' spray (I think that's how you spell it?) which she said was a natural alternative to tranquilisers for calming a nervous cat. I had never heard of this but am willing to give it a try.

We have had quotes from two separate animal transport agencies (both came in at around £325 for one cat to Alicante including travel container which we thought reasonable.) The first was Animal Airlines, which I have had recommended to me on several occasions.
http://www.animalairlines.co.uk

The second company was Air Supply Shipping.
http://www.airsupplyshipping.com

Both companies provided a quote and a personal response quickly, efficiently and politely. We also enquired about kennelling for a few days because unsurprisingly, we don't want him to arrive in Spain before we do!!
Animal Airlines do not have this facility but have a recommended cattery close to the airport.
Air Supply Shipping can arrange a cattery direct. I have not gone into the cost of this yet.

As already mentioned in a previous post, the cost of ferry v. tunnel is very similar once you've taken into account fuel, road tolls, overnight accommodation, food, etc. We'd rather spend 18 hours of it on a fairly comfortable ship than spend it driving.

BTW, for a great (and free!) route planner, take a gander at
http://www.viamichelin.com

Good luck!
Old Feb 27th 2005, 11:13 am
Mortgage Wizard

Gill Stevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I too saw that programme about the cat escaping at the airport but I'm sure it was an isolated incident and really wouldn't let it put me off flying my cats out if I were you, Gill.
And neither would I worry too much about the luggage carousel. It's true that the animals are put on them but it doesn't seem to cause them too much trauma.

In any event, we honestly feel that putting our cat on a plane with the relatively short travel time is by far the lesser of the two evils - we don't think he'd survive either the 18 hours on the ferry to Santander / 10 hours' drive at the other end (possibly in the heat - he is a longhaired cat) or even worse on the French route with a couple of days / nights cooped up in a car!

What also influenced our decision to fly him, was when I rang Brittany Ferries to ask what arrangements were in place for cats. I knew they had kennel facilities for dogs on board the 'Pont Aven' (the Plymouth/Santander ship) but oddly enough, there are apparently none for cats - they have to stay in the vehicle for the whole duration of the crossing, although you are allowed to 'visit' periodically. Worryingly, Brittany Ferries also said that the cats did not need to be containerised during the sailing (?)
We were not at all happy about this arrangement because of our cat's particular personality, plus it didn't seem very secure for either him (if he was not to spend the entire 18 hours in his container) or indeed for all our stuff in the car, because we would have had to leave a window open. So after additionally speaking to our vet (who advised us to fly him over) we realised that flying really will be the best option for him and us.

Of course you will need to weigh up the pros and cons, eg. if flying, they must not be tranquilised because of the pressure in the aircraft whereas they can be given a tranquiliser for the sea/road journey.

The vet recommended a 'cat pheromone' spray (I think that's how you spell it?) which she said was a natural alternative to tranquilisers for calming a nervous cat. I had never heard of this but am willing to give it a try.

We have had quotes from two separate animal transport agencies (both came in at around £325 for one cat to Alicante including travel container which we thought reasonable.) The first was Animal Airlines, which I have had recommended to me on several occasions.
http://www.animalairlines.co.uk

The second company was Air Supply Shipping.
http://www.airsupplyshipping.com

Both companies provided a quote and a personal response quickly, efficiently and politely. We also enquired about kennelling for a few days because unsurprisingly, we don't want him to arrive in Spain before we do!!
Animal Airlines do not have this facility but have a recommended cattery close to the airport.
Air Supply Shipping can arrange a cattery direct. I have not gone into the cost of this yet.

As already mentioned in a previous post, the cost of ferry v. tunnel is very similar once you've taken into account fuel, road tolls, overnight accommodation, food, etc. We'd rather spend 18 hours of it on a fairly comfortable ship than spend it driving.

BTW, for a great (and free!) route planner, take a gander at
http://www.viamichelin.com

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply. There will be 4 of us taking the lorry to Spain so will not stop off overnight. We drove to Costa Almeria once and just took turns driving and sleeping in the back of the transit so just kept going. If there is room we could possibly have the cats out to stretch their legs and keep a cat toilet in the back aswell.

As we have 5 cats at £325 per cat I think it might be cheaper for us to fly over with them - maybe about £80 return each, drop them at the local cattery in a taxi for 3 or 4 days, fly back the same day and then drive down as planned which will take us two days. Our cats are also long-haired and semi-longhaired aswell.

I agree with you about not taking them of the ferry.

I have checked the websites you sent. Very helpful. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gill
Old Feb 27th 2005, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Gill Stevens
Thanks for your reply. There will be 4 of us taking the lorry to Spain so will not stop off overnight. We drove to Costa Almeria once and just took turns driving and sleeping in the back of the transit so just kept going. If there is room we could possibly have the cats out to stretch their legs and keep a cat toilet in the back aswell.

As we have 5 cats at £325 per cat I think it might be cheaper for us to fly over with them - maybe about £80 return each, drop them at the local cattery in a taxi for 3 or 4 days, fly back the same day and then drive down as planned which will take us two days. Our cats are also long-haired and semi-longhaired aswell.

I agree with you about not taking them of the ferry.

I have checked the websites you sent. Very helpful. Thanks for your suggestions.

Gill
Your plan to fly the cats to Spain, drop them off in a cattery there, return the same day and then drive over in your van is an excellent idea - a good bit of lateral thinking!
We may consider doing this 'in reverse', that is leaving our cat in a UK cattery near the airport, driving over with our stuff then a few days later, just one of us flying back over to collect him - certainly wouldn't amount to £325 (although of course the container would be extra...)
However, if you did want to place yours with an agency, I'm sure they'd give a discount for 5 cats!