Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Seeing a Dentist whilst on holiday

Seeing a Dentist whilst on holiday

Old Jul 27th 2016, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

greenspring is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seeing a Dentist whilst on holiday

I am going to book a 2 week holiday for October and will fly to Alicante. Not sure of the resort I will stay in yet.

I wondered if I could combine the holiday with getting some Dental work done as I am having a bad time finding an NHS Dentist here that does a decent job. The last one had no Hygienist and he did not want to clean my teeth or repair my chipped front tooth so I changed Dentist and visited yesterday.

All I want done is to see a good Hygienist to clean all the teeth around the gums. I used to get this done twice a year in the UK but moved to another area a couple of years back and it was really a quick 1 minute job yesterday, very poor.
Just for your information I am not on benefits and do pay for my treatment.

I may also need a Molar taken out, I have had root canal work and so many repairs to the tooth over the last 12 years that I would rather have it out.

How are the Dentists over the there and would I be able to get the above work done within my 2 week stay?
Any areas I should head for?

Last edited by greenspring; Jul 27th 2016 at 4:56 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Seeing a Dentist whilst on holiday

I suspect your problem will be getting an appointment and having the work done in the 2-week period.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 8:23 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Well once you know where you will be staying then just just get a list of dentists in the area.
Asking again on here as someone may then be able to give a recommendation.
For what you need doing I would think that you would not have a problem if you get into a place in the first few days & just explain that you are on holiday.
Old Jul 28th 2016, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks both for the replies, good points.
I will post back when I have booked the holiday.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 4:15 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Although dentists are as good as UK and generally cheaper in Spain, I would caution against getting that work done. What happens if you need follow up work?
Would you not be better asking friends/ neighbours / social media for recommendations for a good dentist where you live?
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Although dentists are as good as UK and generally cheaper in Spain, I would caution against getting that work done. What happens if you need follow up work?
Would you not be better asking friends/ neighbours / social media for recommendations for a good dentist where you live?
You are probably right about having treatment out there but I would still like to see a Hygienist.

I have asked around, my neighbour recommended the first one when I moved here, there is no Hygienist at the surgery and the last time I visited the dentist he did not even recline the chair, he was standing, I told him I think the Molar is cracked, he tapped it and said "no it's not" I asked if he could repair the chipped front tooth, he did not want to, I asked if he could clean my teeth and he said "they do not need doing".

So I asked around, nobody could recommend a particular one but did tell me where a there are 4 surgeries in one road.
One NHS is not taking any new patients, one private is very expensive, I signed up with MyDentist, it turns out my Molar is cracked. But only 1 dentist there and she does not do repairs to chipped teeth or Hygienist, they booked me in for a 30 minutes appointment with the Hygienist and the repair was terrible, the clean was less that 1 minute, literally, I was out in less than 15 minutes. If I stay there my teeth will deteriorate.

I last had my teeth cleaned properly over 2 years ago and it had taken me the previous 8 years to get the teeth and gums back to good health.
Old Aug 2nd 2016, 10:21 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could make an appointment at the good dentist you went to before you moved?

Where is your nearest Dental Teaching Hospital? They usually take patients.

Last edited by missile; Aug 2nd 2016 at 10:40 am.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by missile
Maybe you could make an appointment at the good dentist you went to before you moved?

Where is your nearest Dental Teaching Hospital? They usually take patients.
I would like to get an appointment at my previous dentist but it is over 6 hours drive each way.

I had not thought of visiting a Dental Teaching Hospital, from doing a search none come up in Lincolnshire.
The nearest seem to be in Sheffield and Leeds, both over 2 1/2 hours each way.
Old Aug 3rd 2016, 12:32 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak for where I live but if I want to get my teeth cleaned or a tooth removed I could get that done next week at any of the dentists I have used.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by VFR
I can only speak for where I live but if I want to get my teeth cleaned or a tooth removed I could get that done next week at any of the dentists I have used.
Thanks for that info VFR.
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

If you are prepared to pay for a private dentist in Spain (and you will have to pay) why do you not pay in the UK?
Old Aug 8th 2016, 9:23 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rspltd
If you are prepared to pay for a private dentist in Spain (and you will have to pay) why do you not pay in the UK?
Guess the OP does not want to increase the mortgage ?
Old Aug 8th 2016, 10:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

'Increase the mortgage'?? Having looked at some of the costs of dental treatment in Spain they are not much less than the costs I pay in the UK.