Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Security issues, Alhaurin?

Security issues, Alhaurin?

Old Jan 28th 2007, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice
Default Security issues, Alhaurin?

As I will shortly be completing, I was wondering about security. Changing locks etc. I realise that I am moving from an area where the crime rate is high, and that in Spain it is lower, however until I can get my head around that idea, if it is in fact, a reality, I need to check these things out. Eg, how do people secure their roof terraces, without enclosing them completely. Mine has access to a downstairs patio. I thought about growing shrubs with sharp thorns to deter intruders, barbed wire seeming somewhat extreme. I know I must come accross as a paranoid neurot, however I will be moving in on my own and need to keep myself safe. Is there a higher than general crime rate in the town? I guess I just need some ideas and reassurance. I'm hoping in time to put these fears behind me, but need to remain realistic in the meantime.
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Security issues, Alhaurin?

Originally Posted by Brenda Teather
As I will shortly be completing, I was wondering about security. Changing locks etc. I realise that I am moving from an area where the crime rate is high, and that in Spain it is lower, however until I can get my head around that idea, if it is in fact, a reality, I need to check these things out. Eg, how do people secure their roof terraces, without enclosing them completely. Mine has access to a downstairs patio. I thought about growing shrubs with sharp thorns to deter intruders, barbed wire seeming somewhat extreme. I know I must come accross as a paranoid neurot, however I will be moving in on my own and need to keep myself safe. Is there a higher than general crime rate in the town? I guess I just need some ideas and reassurance. I'm hoping in time to put these fears behind me, but need to remain realistic in the meantime.
P M,d you ;-)
Old Jan 28th 2007, 4:45 pm
Forum Regular

Compost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really niceCompost Mentis is just really nice

Thanks jdr, I was beginning to think I'd asked an inappropriate question.
Old Jan 29th 2007, 1:22 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty usual for people moving in to change the locks for their houses, and it's also recommended in the UK. Beware if you have the sort of door that locks when you shut it, it's very easy to lock yourself out most people keep a spare set hidden or with a neighbour.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

chrisd is an unknown quantity at this point

For insurance purposes, you´ll probably have to prove that all ground floor areas and other areas with easy access are secured. Just ensure that there is no access in the downstairs area. A lot of people are now fitting UK standard window locks as well as the security locks to stop breakins. As you´re on your own, have you thought of adopting a large dog.....