British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Security grill for windows/doors (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/security-grill-windows-doors-938606/)

BarbCPT May 14th 2021 5:16 pm

Security grill for windows/doors

Has anyone had security grills fitted to windows or doors on CE? If so can you recommend any local companies who can do the work?
thanks in advance

dfjordan May 15th 2021 12:29 am

Re: Security grill for windows/doors

Originally Posted by BarbCPT (Post 13006355)
Has anyone had security grills fitted to windows or doors on CE? If so can you recommend any local companies who can do the work?
thanks in advance

Over the years, I’ve learned that grills on windows really arent much of a protection. They are embedded in the cement around the frames, and it takes little effort to rip them off. The only way such grills work, is to install them inside, making it vety difficult to remove them, as you need to get into the house before you can do that. Similarly for doors. I find that bars/ grills on the outside look ugly, whereas on the inside they are easily hidden by curtains if you want. Bars on the outside of doors give the effect of going into a prison

Jon-Bxl May 15th 2021 3:25 am

Originally Posted by BarbCPT (Post 13006355)
thanks in advance

There was a good discussion on the 'squatters' thread recently on the Ayamonte Club ....

But one point is (if you are part of a community) to check first with your community about the rules.... first. They may have a standardised model - and hence will probably know some companies. If they dont it will probably mean getting a vote passed at an AGM.

Jon
​​​​​​

Fredbargate May 15th 2021 4:19 am

Security grills should be bolted right through the walls if they are fitted outside

keithBT May 15th 2021 12:27 pm

I would say don't bother with the Rejas ( security grilles). Twenty years ago when we were on the outskirts of Torrevieja the Romanians would come along at night and put a chain through the bars and hook it on to the tow bar of their trusty old Mercedes. Drive off and pull the lot out the wall. I realise this would prove much too obvious on an urbanisation, but if someone is determined to get in - THEY WILL. All you can do is make yours more difficult than your neighbour. Replace the standard lock which are very easy to "bump" with a high security one, preferably English manufacture. Fit additional bolts on the inside of shutters etc. Just make it as difficult as you can. The Rejas look bit ugly imo and serve little purpose. If you are out in the Campo, remote, then fit steel shutters.

BarbCPT May 15th 2021 1:31 pm

Thanks everyone for your input. I will give it some thought. Okupas thread is very scary!