British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Second hand bikes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/second-hand-bikes-925347/)

L22 May 29th 2019 10:55 pm

Second hand bikes

Hi

i want to buy a couple of second hand bikes
they can be mountain bikes or hybrid - doesn’t matter as we’re not the most intrepid cyclists. Mostly we cycle from our apt at el Rincon del Gokf 1 to Ayamonte, beach or marina. There’s a bike shop in Ayamonte and the owner is a really nice and helpful chap but the bikes there are a bit too good for our use, which is about a month a year

any suggestions as to how to buy second hand bikes?

i thought there was a buy and sell site but have been unable to find relevant info.

maccro May 30th 2019 7:56 am

Re: Second hand bikes

See if this URL helps.
Regards Michael

https://www.vibbo.com/anuncios-ayamo...=sb_searchtext

L22 May 30th 2019 8:09 am

It does

thanks Michael
ill be over next week so I’ll get straight on to it

maccro May 30th 2019 8:31 am

Just remembered that the Intermarche near railway station in Vila real de S.A. stocks brand new bikes at around 100 euro. Can't vouch for quality.

L22 May 30th 2019 10:03 am

Originally Posted by maccro (Post 12691173)
Just remembered that the Intermarche near railway station in Vila real de S.A. stocks brand new bikes at around 100 euro. Can't vouch for quality.

that's also a good option. Perhaps not ideal at that price as they won't be the best quality but that's what I'll get if I can't find decent second hand bikes

thanks for the suggestions

keithBT May 30th 2019 10:22 am

HI, I looked to get a used bike in Spain and leave at the apartment, but I found it was hopeless !! I was looking to spend 400/500 euros on a road bike, aluminium frame, not carbon for that money. All I could find was overpriced tired old junk on MilAnnuncios. I ended up buying a new Cube from Chain Reaction for the UK and shipping my 4 year old Trek over to Spain. That seemed to be the best option at the time. At the cheaper end used bikes in Spain seem to be poor quality and not maintained, hence not worth the hassle. You don't want to be on holiday and constantly trying to fix faults. PLEASE, do NOT buy a 100 euro new bike made in China. You get what you pay for. The crank bearings wear out fast, gears are problematic- its all cheap and nasty, plus they are seriously HEAVY and hard work to ride - not much fun !! Hopefully, someone will read this post and have a half decent bike they no longer need and contact you. If not, you would be better to bite the bullet and buy a couple of new hybrids that are of reasonable quality circa 200 euros upwards. At least then with a bit of oil on the chain and gears occasionally you should expect to get many years of hassle free riding. Ps, I note that bike tyres tend to perish / crack in the sun quite badly in Spain, hence chances are a used bike will need new tyres quite quick.

Kath Las Colinas Jun 1st 2019 12:57 pm

We bought a couple of fairly decent hybrids from one of the bike shops in Lepe. Not the one on the main road through but coming from Ayamonte direction it's on the right about a block in next to (or is!!) a motorcycle shop.

L22 Jun 4th 2019 5:51 am

Originally Posted by keithBT (Post 12691200)
HI, I looked to get a used bike in Spain and leave at the apartment, but I found it was hopeless !! I was looking to spend 400/500 euros on a road bike, aluminium frame, not carbon for that money. All I could find was overpriced tired old junk on MilAnnuncios. I ended up buying a new Cube from Chain Reaction for the UK and shipping my 4 year old Trek over to Spain. That seemed to be the best option at the time. At the cheaper end used bikes in Spain seem to be poor quality and not maintained, hence not worth the hassle. You don't want to be on holiday and constantly trying to fix faults. PLEASE, do NOT buy a 100 euro new bike made in China. You get what you pay for. The crank bearings wear out fast, gears are problematic- its all cheap and nasty, plus they are seriously HEAVY and hard work to ride - not much fun !! Hopefully, someone will read this post and have a half decent bike they no longer need and contact you. If not, you would be better to bite the bullet and buy a couple of new hybrids that are of reasonable quality circa 200 euros upwards. At least then with a bit of oil on the chain and gears occasionally you should expect to get many years of hassle free riding. Ps, I note that bike tyres tend to perish / crack in the sun quite badly in Spain, hence chances are a used bike will need new tyres quite quick.

thanks for all the useful info
probably the best place for me to start will be the bike shop in Ayamonte

he used to service our bikes and was cheap - and a real bike lover from what I could gather