Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schools: Spanish, International, English?

Schools: Spanish, International, English?

Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Schools: Spanish, International, English?

Albeit a bit early, I'm looking at the options for schooling for my 6and a half year old. He's been in the local state school for two years, started Primaria this September. So far so good, the vocabulary is not quite up to his classmates but apparently he's up to the mark in most other ways.. but we've been getting the jungle drum message that past nine or so, there is a very insular attitude to education. Girls are only going to get married, pregnant or whatever so don't need to concentrate on education, and boys are only going to work in agriculture or building or go into the family business. Admittedly this is generalised and of course second hand info, but even a friend with a Spanish husband had to ensure their children are focussed enough to get past the inertia of campo education/bullying of estranjeros if they're to even consider the likes of university. Then of course you get into the realms of whether top grade universities worldwide get much intake from campo schools (anywhere, not just Spain).... so, back to the plot. Do we bus him to the coast, using up hours of travel time in the day, and if so is it best to look at Spanish or International or English Schools, and/or move to the coast (euro signs flash before my eyes) and if he goes to International or English, which is the more likely to keep his Spanish up to speed - little point living in Spain if he then loses or doesn't improve the Spanish he's already got, in my book...... plus where does he stand educationally if we ever move back to the UK? I'm sure I'm not the only one whose grey hair count rises dramatically with every hour I spend contemplating this one............