Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schools in Mallorca

Schools in Mallorca

Old Apr 18th 2016, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Irishtess is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools in Mallorca

Hi guys I am hoping someone can point me towards names of good semi private secondary schools on the island in an area that is not too busy with tourists and expats. Many thanks
Old Apr 18th 2016, 9:12 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in Mallorca

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 18th 2016, 9:23 pm
Just Joined

Ta!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:11 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The only private (international) schools are located in the (crowded, expensive) expat areas. The reasons for that are well, self-evident; Locals have no need.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by amideislas
The only private (international) schools are located in the (crowded, expensive) expat areas. The reasons for that are well, self-evident; Locals have no need.
Hi Ami and thank you very much. I'very been sifting through this forum - your contributions are top class.

No concertados anywhere in Mallorca then?
Old Apr 19th 2016, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishtess
Hi Ami and thank you very much. I'very been sifting through this forum - your contributions are top class.

No concertados anywhere in Mallorca then?
Ami may have top class contributions but often they are inaccurate

One in three Spanish children go to fee paying schools, the majority of these are concertados. I doubt that the situation is any different in Majorca

The problem with concertados in my experience is that they are often very religious. Although of course that may not be a problem for you
Old Apr 19th 2016, 12:43 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishtess

I agree.
I often find Amideislas’s Mallorca posts hugely informative, incisive and of great value. Thanks Ami !

JC3
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:25 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Ami may have top class contributions but often they are inaccurate

One in three Spanish children go to fee paying schools, the majority of these are concertados. I doubt that the situation is any different in Majorca

The problem with concertados in my experience is that they are often very religious. Although of course that may not be a problem for you
There's a big Spanish bull erected along the MA-15 motorway outside of Montuïri (Mallorca). Graffiti artists keep writing on it in big letters (in English) "Mallorca is not Spain". And in heart, it's true, even if technically false.

Anyway, thanks you guys! I am truly honoured!
Old Apr 19th 2016, 1:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

There's a big Spanish bull erected along the MA-15 motorway outside of Montuïri (Mallorca). Graffiti artists keep writing on it in big letters (in English) "Mallorca is not Spain". And in heart, it's true, even if technically false.
You can see the same graffiti here in Asturias where I currently live

And I also saw the same graffiti in Barcelona and even in Andalucia when I lived there

But that doesnt change the fact that one in three Spanish children go to fee paying schools, and a quick Google search shows Mallorca has many concertado schools
Old Apr 19th 2016, 2:55 pm
Banned

OK cman. I don't know about concertado schools. Most British expats are looking for schools that don't require Spanish (or Catalan). That would be decisively, international schools. And all of them are in the expat capitols in the southwest. And they ain't cheap, nor particularly impressive.
Old Apr 19th 2016, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK cman. I don't know about concertado schools. Most British expats are looking for schools that don't require Spanish (or Catalan). That would be decisively, international schools. And all of them are in the expat capitols in the southwest. And they ain't cheap, nor particularly impressive.
Thank you, that's better
Old Apr 19th 2016, 7:35 pm
Banned