Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:49 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Mashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Looking for some advice on schooling.
Looking at moving just south of Malaga early next year, I've two kids 9 and 4 and I'm racking my brain as to what to do with them when it comes to schools, I've read lots of replies on other threads saying they will pick it up in no time in the state schools which I have no doubt they will, and that's probabaly the route we'll go down, I know the private schools are cheaper than england but still going to be a small fortune that we couldn't really afford, and after all the whole idea of moving to spain is to speak the language and learn more about the culture. My main concern is for my 9 year old, It worries me to think he'll be struggling in a state school only knowing very little spanish, so would be great like to hear from any parents that have taken this route of state schools please, as much as I want my lad to pick things up as quick as possible I'm hoping that there's a fair amount of english kids in the state schools espeicially around the highly populated ex-pat areas, so he feels a little at home.
Cheers
Bob
Mashman is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:54 am
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
missbad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Lincoln hope to be CDS
Posts: 292
missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by Mashman
Looking for some advice on schooling.
Looking at moving just south of Malaga early next year, I've two kids 9 and 4 and I'm racking my brain as to what to do with them when it comes to schools, I've read lots of replies on other threads saying they will pick it up in no time in the state schools which I have no doubt they will, and that's probabaly the route we'll go down, I know the private schools are cheaper than england but still going to be a small fortune that we couldn't really afford, and after all the whole idea of moving to spain is to speak the language and learn more about the culture. My main concern is for my 9 year old, It worries me to think he'll be struggling in a state school only knowing very little spanish, so would be great like to hear from any parents that have taken this route of state schools please, as much as I want my lad to pick things up as quick as possible I'm hoping that there's a fair amount of english kids in the state schools espeicially around the highly populated ex-pat areas, so he feels a little at home.
Cheers
Bob


Hi Bob

I cant answer your question as i am in the same boat as yourself.

However just would like to say welcome to the forum and good luck with your move.
x
missbad is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:03 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Mashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

I know, I saw your comments on the other threads.

I'm waiting to hear back from my future employer (fingers crossed) in the next couple of days, I've asked him about schools etc, so I'll let you know what I can if it's any help.

Bob
Mashman is offline  
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 10:05 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
missbad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Lincoln hope to be CDS
Posts: 292
missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by Mashman
I know, I saw your comments on the other threads.

I'm waiting to hear back from my future employer (fingers crossed) in the next couple of days, I've asked him about schools etc, so I'll let you know what I can if it's any help.

Bob
Thanks it will be good to know a little more. Good luck with the job! x
missbad is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 4:49 am
  #5  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by Mashman
Looking for some advice on schooling.
Looking at moving just south of Malaga early next year, I've two kids 9 and 4 and I'm racking my brain as to what to do with them when it comes to schools, I've read lots of replies on other threads saying they will pick it up in no time in the state schools which I have no doubt they will, and that's probabaly the route we'll go down, I know the private schools are cheaper than england but still going to be a small fortune that we couldn't really afford, and after all the whole idea of moving to spain is to speak the language and learn more about the culture. My main concern is for my 9 year old, It worries me to think he'll be struggling in a state school only knowing very little spanish, so would be great like to hear from any parents that have taken this route of state schools please, as much as I want my lad to pick things up as quick as possible I'm hoping that there's a fair amount of english kids in the state schools espeicially around the highly populated ex-pat areas, so he feels a little at home.
Cheers
Bob
Make sure the children learn a few important phrases in Spanish before they start school.
I know they will have to be thrown in at the deep end and they will soon learn, but not to be able to ask to go to the toilet will only make things worse.
JLFS is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:12 am
  #6  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by JLFS
Make sure the children learn a few important phrases in Spanish before they start school.
I know they will have to be thrown in at the deep end and they will soon learn, but not to be able to ask to go to the toilet will only make things worse.
I taught my then 5 year old 'puedo ir al baño?'


a few weeks later I asked her how she asked to go to the toilet at school - she 'tengo pis!!



apparently that's what all the other kids said
lynnxa is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 5:43 am
  #7  
BE Forum Addict
 
paintermujer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Valencia
Posts: 1,249
paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

My eldest daughter was 9 when she went to school in Valencia city.

She knew very little spanish.

Shes 20 now and says her spanish school was the best ever.

she excelled in school work-top of the class for french-had so many firends

She reminded me very recently that one day I kept her off school for some reason and she was so angry she couldnt go.

This was 1999 we are back now-she is still in uk but I have my 8 year old daughter to get into school now-working on it and will report back if you want.
paintermujer is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:42 am
  #8  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Mashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better about it.
Please let me know how you get on with your 8 year old, I'm sure she'll be as happy as your eldest was. Good luck
Mashman is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 6:44 am
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Mashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by missbad
Thanks it will be good to know a little more. Good luck with the job! x
I had an e-mail back from my employer, he said his 2 kids are in state school, ages 8 & 4, both love it and picked up spanish very quick within 3/4 months they were fluent!! And also he said there are plenty of english in the state schools, especially around the CDS.
Mashman is offline  
Old Sep 3rd 2009, 8:56 am
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
missbad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Lincoln hope to be CDS
Posts: 292
missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by Mashman
I had an e-mail back from my employer, he said his 2 kids are in state school, ages 8 & 4, both love it and picked up spanish very quick within 3/4 months they were fluent!! And also he said there are plenty of english in the state schools, especially around the CDS.


Thats good to know, Where about's are you thinking of moving too? When will you be moving out? We are going out in March for 16 days for a mini look around.
missbad is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:30 am
  #11  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 5
Mashman is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by missbad
Thats good to know, Where about's are you thinking of moving too? When will you be moving out? We are going out in March for 16 days for a mini look around.
I'm not 100% yet, either Torremolinos/Benalmadina or Marbella, think I'd prefere Torremolinos though. It all depends on where the kids go to school. I'm going out for a week in Novemeber/December and I'll get a better idea of when I'll get out there then, I'd to think as soon as pos, early part of next year would be wicked.
Mashman is offline  
Old Sep 4th 2009, 12:38 am
  #12  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools in and around Benalmadena and Torremolinos

Originally Posted by Mashman
I'm not 100% yet, either Torremolinos/Benalmadina or Marbella, think I'd prefere Torremolinos though. It all depends on where the kids go to school. I'm going out for a week in Novemeber/December and I'll get a better idea of when I'll get out there then, I'd to think as soon as pos, early part of next year would be wicked.
I think you will find out you need to live somewhere and get residencia before you can put kids in a local state school.
jdr is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.