Schools?!?

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Laurarich is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Schools?!?

Hi, Me and my partner are planning on moving to Spain but we obviously have a few questions. The main one being which school to choose? State or private?
We have two children chloe 8 and mannie 5months. Chloe's currently in year 4 over here and is extremely academic, iv looked into different types of schooling in Spain but would like some personal feedback from others in similar position.
Are state schools or private/integrated schools better from English children? She's a quick learner and I'm sure shel pick up Spanish quickly however I just worry it will be difficult for her to go into a Spanish state school as she's learned so much in English already.
Please can people share their experiences 😊
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 9:58 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools?!?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:17 am
Just Joined

E2good is an unknown quantity at this point

Here in spain a private school is always the best option rather than a state one, in my opinion. I had my son in a public school and was awful and for this reason we decide a private one called cerrado calderon. this school also oferred us after school private classes in Academia Integral which came very handy for us.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 4th 2015 at 2:04 am. Reason: Links removed
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Hi OP

If you want your children to form part of Spanish society then it would be best that they went to a Spanish school where lessons and qualifications are Spanish. Spanish schools can be either private or state. Personally we send our children to a private Spanish school, but that depends on what you feel about the state education system

If you feel you will only be in Spain a year or two, for what would be like an extended holiday for your children, then an international school would be better, unless what you want to get out of your stay in Spain is for your children to learn a new language and learn about a different culture

I don't get your point about "she's learned so much in English already". She won't forgot to read or do maths just because it's in a different language!
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

flotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond reputeflotsum has a reputation beyond repute

My children went into state schools at 10 and 6. The first year was very difficult for all of us but they were incredibly happy at school. There are no other English children so they just learnt the language from playing in the playground and listening. In most towns there are many afternoon academies and teachers who work privately in retrospect we should have used this option at the beginning to reduce the stress levels. Six years on and they are fine at school very much to the same standard as their cousins of a similar age in the UK. However my younger one has after school English lessons as his educational language is Spanish and we were aware that he was only bilingual in his spoken language not reading and writing (we tried keeping it up at home but its not as easy teaching your own kids as it sounds!). My daughter who is now 16 also had English lessons in preparation to taking her Cambridge exams in English, she now has the appropriate level to go to university in the UK or Spain as we wanted to keep this option open for her.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Davy71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi flotsum. Im planing a move too. My only concern is my 2 children. I am a single father. Wife died 6 yrs ago and looking a new start. My children are 12 and 8. My question wot is worrying me is the school and how they will pick up language the first year espically. Have you any advice for me please
Old Sep 6th 2015, 2:37 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davy71
Hi flotsum. Im planing a move too. My only concern is my 2 children. I am a single father. Wife died 6 yrs ago and looking a new start. My children are 12 and 8. My question wot is worrying me is the school and how they will pick up language the first year espically. Have you any advice for me please
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 6th 2015, 3:10 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davy71
At 12, your eldest really won't cope in secondary school unless their level of Spanish (and Valencia/Catalan/...) is already very good.

So, my advice would be international school for your eldest but state school for your youngest. This can either be normal state school, concertado or private.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 3:59 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

The state schools in Spain are generally very good.

Once the children are 10 + then they will really struggle if they are not fluent so only thing is international school with lessons taught 80/20 in favour of English

Would suggest the following:

1. Start Spanish lessons now
2. Once you have found a school then get additional private lessons with a professional tutor and take your private tutor to meet the class teacher and agree a plan between them
3. Have lessons yourself (separate from the children) and focus on grammar so you can assist with homework etc.
4. Join a club (dance, sports etc.)
5. Keep up their English at home with studies (reading books, following BBC bitesize on BBC website)
6. Be patient it will take 8 to 12 months before they are really fluent and confident. The first 3 to 6 months will be tough but persevere

Things to avoid

1. Your children spending time (especially at school) with other British kids as they will tend to speak too much English - only natural.
2. Expats offering informal lessons (unless they are qualified teachers)
3. Don't rely on the school (or the playground) to teach them Spanish - its down to you

Good luck
Old Sep 6th 2015, 4:16 pm
Just Joined

Davy71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the advice. Take that on board and have a look at orivate schools. It is the 1w yr old that worries me the most
Old Sep 7th 2015, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
The state schools in Spain are generally very good.
Hmm, not sure I agree with that

Spanish students have some of the lowest literacy and numeracy rating in the western world.

And generally the poorest in Spanish society go to state schools. One third of Spanish kids go to fee paying schools, those who cannot afford it go to the state schools

In some neighbourhoods all the Spanish kids are at fee paying schools and all the poor immigrant kids in the state school. A friend of mine is a teacher and there are only 2 Spanish kids in the entire state school, and they are gypsy children

Local knowledge is everything
Old Sep 7th 2015, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Private/International Schools often use the UK exam paths including the International Baccalaureate which means it would be easier overall for your children to enter higher education in the future in the UK.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 4:30 pm
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Hmm, not sure I agree with that

Spanish students have some of the lowest literacy and numeracy rating in the western world.

And generally the poorest in Spanish society go to state schools. One third of Spanish kids go to fee paying schools, those who cannot afford it go to the state schools

In some neighbourhoods all the Spanish kids are at fee paying schools and all the poor immigrant kids in the state school. A friend of mine is a teacher and there are only 2 Spanish kids in the entire state school, and they are gypsy children

Local knowledge is everything

In my experience Spanish schools give more attention to willing students and less time with the wasters

Not aware of league tables in Spain

The downside of Spanish schools is they are not as good at recognising learning difficulties as well as they do in the UK

how children perform / behave in schools is down to the parents and how they educate / raise their own kids - too many parents blame the schools for everything from poor manners to literacy

Some parents simply don't show any interest in education irrespective of nationality for many reasons from their own bad experience at school, laziness, ignorance and stupidity

I am sure teachers prefer to teach willing and well behaved children - no excuse for ill mannered and badly behaved children in schools.
Old Sep 8th 2015, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
In my experience Spanish schools give more attention to willing students and less time with the wasters

Not aware of league tables in Spain

The downside of Spanish schools is they are not as good at recognising learning difficulties as well as they do in the UK

how children perform / behave in schools is down to the parents and how they educate / raise their own kids - too many parents blame the schools for everything from poor manners to literacy

Some parents simply don't show any interest in education irrespective of nationality for many reasons from their own bad experience at school, laziness, ignorance and stupidity

I am sure teachers prefer to teach willing and well behaved children - no excuse for ill mannered and badly behaved children in schools.
Yes there is some truth in this. If a child is not willing to learn then they get zero attention in Spain, they are just left to fail

However, even if your child is willing to learn, if he/she is in a class with 20-30 time wasters then it is going to be very unpleasant

All I am saying is research the local school. Some state schools are very good, others are terrible
Old Sep 8th 2015, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

I can only speak from experience of our village school...

With state schools, your child is very likely to be one of the few (if not only) foreign kids in the school.
Bullying is common (even amongst the Spanish kids) in village schools and the school will deny that there is a problem. Foreign kids are an easy target for bullying especially when they get to Eso level and the kids are a bit older.
There isn't a lot you can do other than vote with your feet and move your kids to a better school (which we did after repeatedly complaining to the school about bullying).
My kids are now in a much bigger state school that actually has an anti-bullying policy in place and they're much happier for it, so one school is not necessarily the same as all the others.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.