Reload this Page >

Schooling - State vs International - costs

Schooling - State vs International - costs

Old May 30th 2014, 7:31 am
Just Joined

cameronmolyneux is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling - State vs International - costs

Hello guys

Excuse me if this has been covered before, a quick search didn't show anything close enough so i thought I'd use the wealth of information you guys know to see if you can help me out.

I have been approached to work over in St Cugat near Barcelona, its early stages at the moment, haven't talked salary or anything like that .. I will be meeting with company over the next week or so to see where it goes

I just wanted to get an understanding about the schooling, I have two girls (6 + 10) who don't speak Spanish and wondered what sort of school I should be looking at for them and with that the associated costs and this will be my number one priority when considering the offer, if indeed I get one.

I've read that international schools could cost me as much as 1000 a month each so that will have a massive bearing on my decision as I seriously doubt the offer will be that good that I can cover that along side all my other live costs!! Is there a cost for state schools too?

I worked in Australia for 3 years so the kids are used to moving around, and they like the weather and beaches but obviously this will be the first time language has been a concern.

Anyway, a few random questions there but the kids are the priority for us so I welcome you input

Cheers
Cameron

Last edited by cameronmolyneux; May 30th 2014 at 7:53 am. Reason: my crap typing needed tiding up
Old May 30th 2014, 7:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling - State vs International - costs

Originally Posted by cameronmolyneux
Hello guys

Excuse me if this has been covered before, a quick search didn't show anything close enough so i thought I'd use the wealth of information you guys know to see if you can help me out.

I have been approached to work over in St Cugat near Barcelona, its early stages at the moment, haven't talked salary or anything like that .. I will be meeting with company over the next week or so to see where it goes

I just wanted to get an understanding about the schooling, I have two girls (6 + 10) who don't speak Spanish and wondered what sort of school I should be looking at for them and with that the associated costs and this will be my number one priority when considering the offer, if indeed I get one.

I've read that international schools could cost me as much as 1000 a month each so that will have a massive bearing on my decision as I seriously doubt the offer will be that good that I can cover that along side all my other live costs!! Is there a cost for state schools too?

I worked in Australia for 3 years so the kids are used moving around, and the like the weather and beaches but obviously this will be the first time language has been a concern.

Anyway, a few random questions there but the kids are the priority for us so I welcome you input

Cheers
Cameron
6 & 10 year olds would generally be fine in state school - they are a year older than mine were when they started 10 years ago & they've had no language issues at all

as for comparing costs - state education is 'free', inasmuch as you only pay for books & stationary, school meals, school trips - most state schools don't have a uniform, so that's another cost you won't have

I budget 1000€ a year for each of my two girls

International school - one near us charges about 5000 € a year - & there are uniforms, books & stationary, school meals, school trips etc to pay for on top
Old May 30th 2014, 7:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
6 & 10 year olds would generally be fine in state school - they are a year older than mine were when they started 10 years ago & they've had no language issues at all

as for comparing costs - state education is 'free', inasmuch as you only pay for books & stationary, school meals, school trips - most state schools don't have a uniform, so that's another cost you won't have

International school - one near us charges about 5000 € a year - & there are uniforms, books & stationary, school meals, school trips etc to pay for on top
Fantastic .. thanks for the quick response .. just needed a rough idea so that when I negotiate I know what we can afford!!

I'm sure as the process goes on I'll have plenty more questions

Thanks again
Old May 30th 2014, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond reputechopera has a reputation beyond repute

In Madrid international schools cost about €1000/month when you include transport and meals. I imagine Barcelona is similar, but you can easily find exact figures by ringing the schools. In Barcelona the state school teaching will be in Catalan anyway, so it wouldn't help too much if your children did speak Spanish. The 6 year old is probably young enough to go to state school as she'd pick up sufficient Catalan quickly enough, but the 10 year old would probably have to attend an international school.
Old May 30th 2014, 2:25 pm
Just Joined

see that's a problem .. i wouldn't want to split them up ... I'm sure the offer will be a decent one but including meals etc it looks like its about 3k a month just for schools may not be viable if we have to go international
Old May 30th 2014, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

see that's a problem .. i wouldn't want to split them up ... I'm sure the offer will be a decent one but including meals etc it looks like its about 3k a month just for schools may not be viable if we have to go international
It probably wouldnt be 3k per month, probably more like 1.5k to 2k per month

San Cugat is a nice area, I am sure there are some good schools around there. It is an expensive area

If you are coming to Barcelona from London then you will find it pretty cheap, but if you are coming from elsewhere in the UK then you'll probably find it expensive
Old May 30th 2014, 3:00 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
It probably wouldnt be 3k per month, probably more like 1.5k to 2k per month

San Cugat is a nice area, I am sure there are some good schools around there. It is an expensive area

If you are coming to Barcelona from London then you will find it pretty cheap, but if you are coming from elsewhere in the UK then you'll probably find it expensive
We're oxford way and its fairly expensive here!!

I think the schooling is the only sticking point, I'm reading of Spanish schools that teach predominately in English (st pauls for example) .. not sure if they have a fee's system .. but maybe that's an option

more research to do i guess ...

Last edited by cameronmolyneux; May 30th 2014 at 3:05 pm.
Old May 30th 2014, 3:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricketman
We'll decide on the area once I do a reckie .. we've been to Barcelona before but not looked at it as home before so I think we'll be popping over as soon as I've got the thumbs up from the company

Just because the office is there .. I dont mind a bit of a drive to work
Old May 30th 2014, 4:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

We'll decide on the area once I do a reckie .. we've been to Barcelona before but not looked at it as home before so I think we'll be popping over as soon as I've got the thumbs up from the company

Just because the office is there .. I dont mind a bit of a drive to work
I used to live in Barcelona. A lot of the outskirts of Barcelona are horrible. San Cugat is one of the few exceptions to that

The nicest area of the city to live is probably pedralbes. I would advise not living in the old town like I did as it is jam packed with tourists and there are no Catalans to be seen

The area around Rambla Poble Nou is lovely, very village like, a short walk from the beach and at least one good state primary school (which my nephews go to)

Any school mainly teaching English will be fee paying. Schools in Catalunya teach Catalan as a first language, Spanish as a second langauge and English as a third language

Rents around the nice bits of Barcelona are quite steep. From 1500-2500 euros per month for a large family flat or chalet, but like you say, that is good value compared to Oxford
Old May 31st 2014, 6:42 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa

Well the school meals would be difficult to eat if they were moving...
Old May 31st 2014, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

We you planning to live in Sant Cugat or Barcelona? There are trains that leave from the center of Barcelona and stop in Sant Cugat. A friend used to work at HP in Sant Cugat. At the time, there was a shuttle bus that went from the train station to HP and some other companies in the area. That may be an option for you. Check with your potential employer.

- Eric S.