Reload this Page >

Schooling and living near Gibraltar

Schooling and living near Gibraltar

Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

josie1981 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schooling and living near Gibraltar

Hi,

I'm new to this site and to posting in general! My family and I have always wanted to move to Spain and we figure the only way my husband can work there is if we move to the Gibraltar area on the Spanish side and he works in gib. We have 2 very young children who aren't in school yet and our main concern is them. My understanding is that they could either go to an over priced international school, a Spanish state school or a school in gib. The latter two, I know very little about - can anyone help please? I'm also a primary teacher myself so if there are any other teachers working in Spain id love to hear from you and especially if u know if any discounted rates are given on international fees if you're lucky enough to get a job there?!

We were considering the sotogrande area as we've visited the area and although it's pricey it's seems a lovely place to live. Does anyone have any further input on where is good to live on the Spanish side of the border?

Thank you very much in advance! Josie xxx
Old Mar 6th 2015, 8:13 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schooling and living near Gibraltar

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 7th 2015, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Josie

If you live in Spain then any schooling in Gib will have to be paid for in a similar manner to private schooling.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 6:58 am
Just Joined

Of course, that makes sense, thanks. Do you know what the Spanish state schools are like in the area? Are there any that come more recommended than others? Thanks x
Old Mar 7th 2015, 9:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josie1981
Of course, that makes sense, thanks. Do you know what the Spanish state schools are like in the area? Are there any that come more recommended than others? Thanks x
Sorry I have no idea.

First you should look at where you want to live and then schools close to that area to make travel easier
Old Mar 7th 2015, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that if your kids are still pre-school they would do very well in a Spanish state school. They will learn Spanish almost as their first language and settle in well after a couple of days. Seek advice about good state schools near where you want to live.

Of course as a teacher you could try for a job in an International school yourself and get the kids in the same school. I knew someone from Coin who did exactly that and was very happy with the arrangement.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I would think that if your kids are still pre-school they would do very well in a Spanish state school. They will learn Spanish almost as their first language and settle in well after a couple of days. Seek advice about good state schools near where you want to live.

Of course as a teacher you could try for a job in an International school yourself and get the kids in the same school. I knew someone from Coin who did exactly that and was very happy with the arrangement.
Thank u. I agree about them settling well in a stage school as they're such a young age. Do you know if ur friend had to pay full fees or not? Thanks xx
Old Mar 7th 2015, 2:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sotogrande International School

Sotogrande International School

For the kids?

For a job?
Old Mar 7th 2015, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by josie1981
Thank u. I agree about them settling well in a stage school as they're such a young age. Do you know if ur friend had to pay full fees or not? Thanks xx
I'm not sure if there are any stage schools in the area

I'm afraid I don't know but I guess that there would have been a significant concession for staff. Sadly she is no longer around to ask.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 7:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I'm not sure if there are any stage schools in the area

I'm afraid I don't know but I guess that there would have been a significant concession for staff. Sadly she is no longer around to ask.
Oops, lol! No not stage school! State - typo. Thanks for your help xxxx